Spirit Engine solution, your thoughts?

MrsLeo

I too am trying to be positive about this. I guess I can't understand why NCL is keeping this a secret ... are they waiting for everyone's final payment before they release info? A co-worker went to a cruise event where a rep from NCL was there and asked him about the Spirit engine problems. The rep said divers are currently working on it while in port and he had not heard anything about upcoming cruises being canceled. If the propellar problem is not being fixed until November drydock, then it only makes sense that our itinerary could change. But for an 8 day cruise, taking away a stop would be bad and I can't imagine that there has been any 8 day cruise with fewer than 3 stops? I won't be too upset if the itinerary has to change as long as they keep 3 stops. What dept at NCL do we call? :confused:

I too am trying to be positive about this. I guess I can't understand why NCL is keeping this a secret ... are they waiting for everyone's final payment before they release info? A co-worker went to a cruise event where a rep from NCL was there and asked him about the Spirit engine problems. The rep said divers are currently working on it while in port and he had not heard anything about upcoming cruises being canceled. If the propellar problem is not being fixed until November drydock, then it only makes sense that our itinerary could change. But for an 8 day cruise, taking away a stop would be bad and I can't imagine that there has been any 8 day cruise with fewer than 3 stops? I won't be too upset if the itinerary has to change as long as they keep 3 stops. What dept at NCL do we call? :confused:

Don't waste your time, its been done and everyone gets nothing accomplished from calling. You can not expect NCL to give any information that has not been official announced.

Lets sit tight. This is the ONLY place we will hear anything first! and hopefully soon.

That's definitely true. I heard about my GEM cruise being cancelled about 2 weeks before it was officially announced. I actually called my agent and told him and he knew nothing about it. I called NCL daily and they gave me the run around, at one point I called pretending to want to book that particular cruise and they were actually going to book it for me and take my money, knowing it was already cancelled. So, Cruise Critic is definitely the place to find out the correct info!!

That's definitely true. I heard about my GEM cruise being cancelled about 2 weeks before it was officially announced. I actually called my agent and told him and he knew nothing about it. I called NCL daily and they gave me the run around, at one point I called pretending to want to book that particular cruise and they were actually going to book it for me and take my money, knowing it was already cancelled. So, Cruise Critic is definitely the place to find out the correct info!!

I was booked on the Holland Westerdam for 10 days from now 2/17/08. I had my air and they chartered the ship. I found out here on these boards. My TA had no idea and neither did the Holland Rep. I had 9 months to book a new cruise still enough time- no problem - and I have an aft balcony on the Freedom, so it worked out.

BUT YES - this is the place to be for NEWS!

Now someone PLEASE get us some! LOL

Electicron, I'm not sure if your right w/ your info , but it sure sounds convincing ! where did you find all of this out @ ? I would love to have this info, we sail 03/23/08 on the Spirit and I'm getting nervous about our sailing !!

The times between ports were obtained from NCL's published itineraries. (with a little math which you could double check).

The decreased top speed of the Spirit, 20 knots, was obtained from a CC review. The Spirit's normal top speed, 24 knots, can be found at many cruise web sites.

The miles between ports were obtained using Google Earth's Path Tool feature. These numbers are approximately correct, as I don't know the exact path NCL ships will take. (which way around an island, how far away from land, which shipping lanes, etc.)

The current of the Gulf Stream can be found at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream

Typically, the Gulf Stream is 80–150 km wide and 800–1200 m deep. The current velocity is fastest near the surface, with the maximum speed typically about 2.5 m/s[6] (approx. 4.9 knots).

By the way, here's a satellite thermal image of the Gulf Stream.

180px-Gulf_Stream_water_temperature.jpg

On the southbound leg, it will slow a ship by almost 5 knots.

On the northbound leg, it will increase the speed of a ship by almost 5 knots.

A knot is 1.15 mph. Therefore, 10 knots = 11.5 mph, 20 knots = 23 mph, 19 knots ~ 22 mph, or 21.85 mph to be exact.

Regarding the Gulf Stream (and not actually KNOWING anything about how these decisions are made!) I would imagine that for traveling from NYC to points south (or vice versa) that ship captains would be able to steer in or out of the current, depending on whether it helps or hurts. I notice, for instance, that the thermal image that Ron posted shows the Gulf Stream fairly far out to sea. Accordingly a ship from NYC could steer inland of the current and therefore achieve an over-ground speed pretty close to their maximum. Which is possibly why our first port on GEM's 2/16 out of NYC is Port Canaveral, in Florida, while on the return we leave from Freeport in Bahamas. Pretty much guessing here, but I doubt cruise ships fight 3 or 4 knots of current unless they really have to.

Ok I know the telephone reps do not know much BUT when she didnt have an answer ,I was transferred to another dept. I was told that at each stop ,they are making repairs on the engine. As she said the 4th engine should completely be fixed by the March 30th sailing.

That was a fair answer and she did sound like she knew what she was talking about. She knew about a 4th engine. She also knew that the March 30th was the next sailing to be on schedule.

Regarding the Gulf Stream (and not actually KNOWING anything about how these decisions are made!) I would imagine that for traveling from NYC to points south (or vice versa) that ship captains would be able to steer in or out of the current, depending on whether it helps or hurts. I notice, for instance, that the thermal image that Ron posted shows the Gulf Stream fairly far out to sea. Accordingly a ship from NYC could steer inland of the current and therefore achieve an over-ground speed pretty close to their maximum. Which is possibly why our first port on GEM's 2/16 out of NYC is Port Canaveral, in Florida, while on the return we leave from Freeport in Bahamas. Pretty much guessing here, but I doubt cruise ships fight 3 or 4 knots of current unless they really have to.

I believe you hit on something true. You're probably 100% correct.

I might add, that close to 5 knots Gulf Stream current figure is a maximum number, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the current is less on it's edges.

But a ship can get a significant boost in speed when traveling with the current. That might explain the original posted Spirit 8 day itinerary last leg requiring near 30 knots to get back to New York on time. ;)

I believe you hit on something true. You're probably 100% correct.

I might add, that close to 5 knots Gulf Stream current figure is a maximum number, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the current is less on it's edges.

But a ship can get a significant boost in speed when traveling with the current. That might explain the original posted Spirit 8 day itinerary last leg requiring near 30 knots to get back to New York on time. ;)

Ron, can you clear up this one for me.

Spoke to the Staff Captain who was on the Spirit before and told him I saw the Spirit doing 30 knots at 100% power on the 12 floor gauge reading. He said it is impossible for the Spirit to do that and the gauge reading must be wrong. He said that at 25 knots and with a 3 knots current the Spirit can do 28 knots max. I have seen the Spirit do 25 knots at 60% power at other times.

What is your take on this one.

Ok I know the telephone reps do not know much BUT when she didnt have an answer ,I was transferred to another dept. I was told that at each stop ,they are making repairs on the engine. As she said the 4th engine should completely be fixed by the March 30th sailing.

That was a fair answer and she did sound like she knew what she was talking about. She knew about a 4th engine. She also knew that the March 30th was the next sailing to be on schedule.

familyof4- if this is the case, why did they cancel all but 2d of the excursions to Roatan on my sailing? I think its just more run around,

Ron, can you clear up this one for me.

Spoke to the Staff Captain who was on the Spirit before and told him I saw the Spirit doing 30 knots at 100% power on the 12 floor gauge reading. He said it is impossible for the Spirit to do that and the gauge reading must be wrong. He said that at 25 knots and with a 3 knots current the Spirit can do 28 knots max. I have seen the Spirit do 25 knots at 60% power at other times.

What is your take on this one.

Most web sites report a speed of 24 knots for the Spirit, but I have found a few that state 25.5 knots as its maximum speed. That's equivalent to 29 mph or 47 km/hr.

FYI, the top speed for the Star and Jewel class ships is also reported at ABB's web site as 25+ knots.

The top speed for the Sun and Aloha is reported as 23 knots.

The top speed for the America is reported as 22 knots.

The top speed for the Dream is reported as 21 knots.

The top speed for the Majesty is reported as 20 knots.

I believe the 25+ knots maximum speed for the Spirit may be the reason it was selected to be the second ship sailing from New York instead of the Sun. NCL's New York agressive itineraries require 25 knots speed. ;)

And it is a shame so many think 20 knots is slow for the Spirit and Dawn, when that's as fast the Majesty can go.

Hopefully I'll have time to post all I wish.

The Pearl and Gem have "five" MAN B&W 14V48/60 diesel generators producing 14,700 kW each. Total diesel power 73,500 kW.

The Spirit, Star and Dawn have "four" MAN B&W 14V48/60 diesel generators producing 14,700 kW each. Total diesel power 58,800 kW.

I'm not sure whether the Jewel and Jade have "four" or "five" MAN B&W 14V48/60 diesel generators producing 14,700 kW each.

The Spirit has two propulsion motors rated at 20,000 kW each, a total of 40,000 kW, turning conventional shaft and propellers.

The Star/Jewel/Pearl class ships have two ABB azipods rated at 19,500 kW each, a total of 39,000 kW.

The Aloha and Sun have six diesel generators supplied by MAN B&W, providing a total output of 50,700kW. There are "three" 7L58/64 with an output of 9,100kW each and "three" 6L58/64 with an output of 7,800kW each. Thier propulsion motors turning variable pitch propellers are rated at 15,000 kW each, a total of 30,000 kW.

The America has six Wärtsilä Type 8L46C diesel engines producing 8,400 kW each. Total diesel power 50,400 kW. It uses two Mermaid azipods rated at 12,500 kW each, a total of 25,000 kW.

Speed and power are related. ;)

The reason the Star/Jewel/Pearl class ships can achieve the same 25+ speed as the Spirit is the 8% to 18% improved hydro, electrical, mechanical efficiency of their two azipods over the conventional shaft-propeller system the Spirit uses.

FYI, the new F3 class NCL is building will use 3x MaK 12 M 43 C and 3x MaK 16 M 43 C diesel engines per vessel, a total diesel power of 79,800 kW and two 24,000 kW Converteam motors with conventional shaft lines and propellers, a total of 48,000 kW. Their maximum speeds are still classified.

familyof4- if this is the case, why did they cancel all but 2d of the excursions to Roatan on my sailing? I think its just more run around,

They cancelled all excursions for Roatan but 2 for your cruise? Are the rest of the stops the same?

Maybe they REALLY thought that it would be fixed by March 30, but it is just not working out that way?

Most web sites report a speed of 24 knots for the Spirit, but I have found a few that state 25.5 knots as its maximum speed. That's equivalent to 29 mph or 47 km/hr.

FYI, the top speed for the Star and Jewel class ships is also reported at ABB's web site as 25+ knots.

The top speed for the Sun and Aloha is reported as 23 knots.

The top speed for the America is reported as 22 knots.

The top speed for the Dream is reported as 21 knots.

The top speed for the Majesty is reported as 20 knots.

I believe the 25+ knots maximum speed for the Spirit may be the reason it was selected to be the second ship sailing from New York instead of the Sun. NCL's New York agressive itineraries require 25 knots speed. ;)

And it is a shame so many think 20 knots is slow for the Spirit and Dawn, when that's as fast the Majesty can go.

That is very interesting.

They cancelled all excursions for Roatan but 2 for your cruise? Are the rest of the stops the same?

Maybe they REALLY thought that it would be fixed by March 30, but it is just not working out that way?

My guess is that initially they thought that it would be fixed by then but have now realized that it might not be. But on the upside we are still not scheduled to dock anywhere else:) I've been checking cruisecal to see if the Spirit shows up in places such as Port Canaveral, Miami and other close by ports. But nothing yet:)

My guess is that initially they thought that it would be fixed by then but have now realized that it might not be. But on the upside we are still not scheduled to dock anywhere else:) I've been checking cruisecal to see if the Spirit shows up in places such as Port Canaveral, Miami and other close by ports. But nothing yet:)

Thats funny I just looked at cruisecal! :D

I am leaving next week( hopefully is the weather cooperates ;) ), I will wait for an email from you! Thanks!

February 04, 2008

IMPORTANT:

ITINERARY CHANGE INFORMATION

Dear Valued Travel Partners & Guests,

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has important information for you regarding Norwegian Spirit’s 8-Day

Eastern Caribbean sailings from New York,

from April 19 through August 23, 2008. All guests

booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward

this information to their clients.

Because of a technical issue with one of her four engines, Norwegian Spirit will be travelling at a

reduced speed for the above mentioned sailings. Please be assured that the engine issue reducing our

speed capabilities in no way impacts the safe operation of the vessel.

Based on this reduced speed and to provide for the best possible itinerary given the speed limitations,

we are cancelling our call to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands and will be calling instead on San Juan,

Puerto Rico on Tuesday from 2pm until midnight. Also, we have adjusted our departure time from

Samaná and our arrival into New York to compensate for the reduced speed. Our revised itinerary will

be:

Arrive Depart

Sat New York, New York 4:00 PM

Sun At Sea

Mon At Sea

Tue

San Juan, Puerto Rico 2:00 PM midnight

Wed Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 AM

4:00 PM

Thu Samaná, Dominican Republic

8:00 AM 3:00 PM

Fri At Sea

Sat At Sea

Sun New York, New York

10:00 AM

It's not often that we need to alter an itinerary. When we do, we know it can cause disappointment.

Guests choosing not to sail as a result of this itinerary change may cancel their cruise without

cancellation fees and receive a full refund of the cruise fare paid. Any cancellations must be made by

Friday, February 22, 2008.

Thank you for your understanding and continued support of Norwegian Cruise Line. Should you have

any questions, please call us at (800) 327-7030 Monday to Friday 8am to midnight EST or Saturday

and Sunday 9am to 9pm EDT and a Norwegian Cruise Line representative will be available to assist

you.

Sincerely,

Crane Gladding

Senior Vice President, Revenue Management & Passenger Services

Page 1 of 1

Who the hell wants to go to Puerto Rico...there is NOTHING to do there :eek: :mad:

Sorry folks, at least you were warned ahead of time, what's funny though is that they still haven't announced a revised itinerary for our March 30th repo or the April 13th cruise yet and these are before the April 19th - Aug. 23rd cruises.

Sorry folks, at least you were warned ahead of time, what's funny though is that they still haven't announced a revised itinerary for our March 30th repo or the April 13th cruise yet and these are before the April 19th - Aug. 23rd cruises.

If the issue is distance, though, would the April 13th cruise be affected?

I am VERY ANGRY!!! St thomas the best stop of the three! and sorry to offend but San Juan at night there is NOTHING to do!!!

They skimmed hours off all stops! It is WRONG and they waited for us to make final today to tell us.

I just looked and airfare is going to kill me. BUT I am on a hunt. I do not want to go on the Spirit angry. I had issues when I sailed on her last summer, and I am sure they will not be addressed by April without 2.0 happening.

Everyone got a few hours less in Roatan. We got a stop taken away and hours taken from all stops!

Archived