Ocean Temperature in July

JRSalute

Does anyone know what the water temperature will be at Orient Beach later this month?

I'm also a little confused...is it easier to get to Orient Beach by water taxi or regular taxi/ Do the water taxi's drop you off where you want to go on the beach.

Thanks!!!

Did you really mean July?

Orient Beach is on the French side of the island, about 30-45 minutes from where you will be docking , on the Dutch side. I am not aware of any water taxi to Orient Beach. The only water taxi that I am aware of is from the dock, to the main street of Phillipsburg.

You cannot take the water taxi to Orient beach. It does not go anywhere except from the pier to Front St. in Philipsburg and one other stop on the bay (can't ever remember the name). It's not at all like a car taxi service that goes all over the island. It's just a little convenience to get folks around the bay.

As mentioned, Orient beach is across the island from Philipsburg. It's about 25 minutes (maybe a bit longer and definitely longer in the late afternoon) by taxi and is basically a "straight shot" across the island. Just to help you visualize, a water taxi would have to go around the island and, even if it could negotiate the water safely, would take much longer. The water taxis are not like ferries; they are exactly like harbor taxis that take people around to get from moored boats to the shore. Think of them more as functioning the way tenders do. (It's a nice thought though because we love ferry rides.)

You can take a larger "group" taxi for about $6 p/p one-way or a private car taxi for somewhat more. We take the private taxi and pay a bit extra so that we don't have to wait for the van taxi to fill and we don't have to have any other stops for other passengers. I know many people take the larger group taxis and some like to take the bus to save $$, which is a great option for many. The public buses don't go to Orient though, so taxi is your only option unless you wanted to rent a car. For four of us in a private taxi, it was about $28 one-way to Orient last time, but we haven't been in a couple of years (darn it all--we love Orient), so fares may have gone up. There are posted standard fares at the pier (and elsewhere), but I don't have a web link for them. You may be able to find one by doing an advanced search on this forum for "taxi fare" or googling "st martin taxi fare" (or similar).

Happy beaching! Orient is just wonderful.

beachchick

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know what the water temperature will be at Orient Beach later this month?

I'm also a little confused...is it easier to get to Orient Beach by water taxi or regular taxi/ Do the water taxi's drop you off where you want to go on the beach.

Thanks!!!

Just curious as we are going to St. Martin in January 2009 . . . how WERE the water temps??

Archived