Royal Caribbean Snorkel Excursions in Grand Cayman

Cindy

I'm having a hard time deciding between three RCCL snorkel excursions in Grand Cayman. Two choices are the Reef & Wreck Snorkel on a "motor cruiser" or Grand Cayman Snorkeling to the same locations on a "custom dive boat." The other is the Catamaran Sail & Snorkel along 7 Mile Beach on a "luxury catamaran."

We're definitely going to stick with ship's excursions because of the tendering in GC. If you've experienced any of these trips or similar, what can you tell me about the size of the boats and the quality of the snorkeling locations? Thanks!

I'm having a hard time deciding between three RCCL snorkel excursions in Grand Cayman. Two choices are the Reef & Wreck Snorkel on a "motor cruiser" or Grand Cayman Snorkeling to the same locations on a "custom dive boat." The other is the Catamaran Sail & Snorkel along 7 Mile Beach on a "luxury catamaran."

We're definitely going to stick with ship's excursions because of the tendering in GC. If you've experienced any of these trips or similar, what can you tell me about the size of the boats and the quality of the snorkeling locations? Thanks!

I was looking at these 3 excursions as well.

I'm new to cruising. Do you want to stick with the ship's excursions b/c of it being hard to cancel other types if you don't end up being able to get off the ship? That makes sense to me.

I was looking at these 3 excursions as well.

I'm new to cruising. Do you want to stick with the ship's excursions b/c of it being hard to cancel other types if you don't end up being able to get off the ship? That makes sense to me.

Most private operators will refund if you're not able to make it into port. The reason I want to stay with the ship's excursions is that Grand Cayman is a VERY busy tender port. If you're on an RC excursion, you should get priority tender service and not have as long of a wait to disembark.

Most private operators will refund if you're not able to make it into port. The reason I want to stay with the ship's excursions is that Grand Cayman is a VERY busy tender port. If you're on an RC excursion, you should get priority tender service and not have as long of a wait to disembark.

OIC, thanks :)

No problem with tendering the last time in GC. Of course we didn't rush down to be the first off. We ate a leisurely breakfast then jumped aboard one of the boats.

I believe you can do the reef and wreck tour from shore. I plan to do this in a couple of days off of Carnival. Their description sounds just like the description off one of the GC information sites. I understand it is about a 4 minute walk to the left from the the ferry pier. My last stop in GC, we walked about 4 minutes to the right of the ferry pier and snorkled Eden Rock.

Howard

We did the Royal Carribean Reef and Wreck Snorkeling excusion in January 2006. It was a short walk from the pier. It was superb! The water was clean and clear. The gear was in good shape. The fish were numerous and gorgeous. it was the best snorkeling on that cruise becasue all the other locations were still quite murky from a recent hurricane.

We are going on an RCCL cruise (Feb) to Grand Cayman and will use Oh Boy Charters. Shouldn't be problem since most operators know the ships use tenders and therefore the excursions generally don't start until an hour after ship docks. We are doing a 3 hour, 3 stop for $39pp. (equip is provided, but we always carry our own). Will report back our experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from our cruise....and Grand Cayman was fantastic! We ended up going with Captain Marvins because Oh Boy! was full. I am glad we did! We ended up getting to Grand Cayman early, and the captain announced we could hop on a tender without a ticket if we did so before 9. So, we jumped onboard a tender, it took 5 minutes, and we walked across the street to Capt. Marvins, they let us book the longer snorkeling trip (3+ hours) and we left on the 9:30 bus to the boat. Had a great time. Water was choppy at Coral Gardens, the stingrays were very very friendly, and the "aquarium" was beautiful. The capt threw some chum overboard and the fish responded. Wow. And only 24 people on the boat.

I would highly recommend Captain Marvin (92 years old and still on a boat 6 days a week!) Oh, the best part? We paid $79 for both of us!!

The operators don't take your money up front, just a "hold" on your card in case you don't show. If you can't tender because of the weather, they will NOT charge you. Just go with a reputable vendor and have fun!

• 4 years later...

I did the reef and wreck snorkel and was a little disappointed as you can do from the shore and it is basically between the cruise ships. I shouldn't have paid for the shore excursion. Going back in December and will probably try cheeseburger reef as I hear you can also do from the shore. Anyone know of a very colorful site in the caymans?

Archived