Child with nut allergy

ancryan

Does anyone have experince cruising with a child that has food allergies? My child has a nut and egg allergy, and we do carry an epi-pen with us at all times. If you have any suggestions on what has worked well as far as eating in the restaurants, dining rooms, who I might need to talk with ahead of time or while on board I would appreciate it. We will be on NCL Star. Thanks!

Hi there!

My son has a severe nut allergy as well - and we're set to take our 3rd cruise with him next month (he's 7). I have to say that I would be extremely vigilant about asking questions and always trust your instincts. I found that a lot of times, I was speaking to food service workers whose native language was not English, and I didn't really always trust that they knew what they were talking about. We ended up staying away from a lot of desserts - and I always carried Benadryl and an Epi-Pen (and gave one to the kids' club as well). I do also have a note put into our record by our travel agent (who happens to be my mom) - but not sure what effect that has, if any. If your child gets upset at not being able to have what everyone else is having, try talking to your waiters ahead of time and seeing if they can determine some standard things from the chefs that are ok that you can fall back on. (Dish of vanilla ice cream with fudge sauce) or something. I also found the dining room chefs/staff to be a bit more knowledgable than the buffets. I hope this helps!

My 6 year old daughter has multiple food allergies (including all tree nuts and peanuts) and she is to take her fifth cruise this summer. Have your TA flag your reservation for the food allergies. Last time we sailed NCL within an hour of boarding, the head chef called me to set up a meeting regarding her allergies. We met the very first day and he was very helpful and accommodating. Do be careful of buffets though. Always ask to speak with a head chef in the dining rooms to go over your issues. I also always carry snack foods, soy butter and other nonperishables when we travel. Good luck.

Does anyone have experince cruising with a child that has food allergies? My child has a nut and egg allergy, and we do carry an epi-pen with us at all times. If you have any suggestions on what has worked well as far as eating in the restaurants, dining rooms, who I might need to talk with ahead of time or while on board I would appreciate it. We will be on NCL Star. Thanks!

Please contact the cruise line prior to your cruise. Also, check with the Maitre' D as soon as you board.

Hi. I hope I can help. I do not have any children who have nut allergies but I am severley allergic to peanuts/peanut butter/ basically any peanut product. I have to carry an epi pin and benadryl as well. I have been on two cruises and never had a problem. I would suggest making sure the waiter and matrie d. That is what I did. As far a deserts the only thing you can really do to avoid it 100 % is not to eat it or bring your own. I am very very careful about the deserts I eat. I have been dealing with this peanut allergy all my life. I am 32 now. If something so much as touches something with nuts it is enought to make me have a reaction. I go into anaphylictic (spelling) shock. The whole can't breath, vomiting throast and chest contrict, lips and tounge swell. Yeah very unpleasant. Make sure it is noted in your reseveration there is a peanut allergy. I only eat deserts I can identify. If you have any questions about what is in something don't hesitate to ask. I always to do. Good luck. But on the good side both cruises were fine and I did not have a reaction.

Archived