Just back from Legend & Thank you!

star65

Our wedding date is on June 25, 2005. We are arriving in NYC on June 27th. Legend embarks on June 30th, and disembarks on July 8th. From there, we are flying back to San Jose. On July 10th, we are driving down to San Diego. On our way to San Diego, we are staying overnight in Pismo Beach and Laguna Beach. We are taking three weeks off for our honeymoon. We initially wanted to take a trip to Australia. But I think we made the right choice to go on a cruise, visiting NYC and driving through west coastline. We have so many beautiful places in the U.S. Alaska would be the next place on my list to visit.

About a month ago, I saw a lady giving birth in her van, in the parking lot, right front of the Hospital Emergency. She didn't quite make it inside, but the baby and the mother were fine. It was an amazing event to witness. It seems like your daughter is ready to get the baby out now. I'm not quite ready for my own yet, maybe in two years.
:p
Take care of yourself, and early congratulations to you and your family.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry it took so long to answer, but I think I overdosed on the internet, and I just took time off.

Yes, this is the first grandchild, and yes, my wife is looking forward to the baby sitting. Actually, my daughter and son in law are living with us right now because we are building an apartment onto the house for them, and have been held up. It was already supposed to be completed, and we haven't even really started.

I see you've given somebody else this thread to check out for NYC info. I saw the post just a few mintues ago, and was going to suggest they check this thread out. The I saw your handle, and knew you already had told them to.

How are you guys doing? Anything new on your "first" cruise?

• 2 weeks later...
I hope you had a wonderful turkey day.
Sorry it took so long for me to reply back.
I haven't had much time to visit this board or plan my cruises.
For my first cruise, we have about 16 ladies going on Royal Caribbean (3 night Baja Mexico) in March. We've already made our down payment, so it's official.

How's baby sitting your grandson working out? Is he behaving? :D

• 2 weeks later...
Jenny,

Also sorry it took so long to write, and yes, we did have a good Thanksgiving, how about you?

I don't babysit, my wife does, and she and my daughter swear the kid is talking already . . . at 4 weeks old. A lot of eye winking going on. And a lot of concern because he was spitting up waaaaay too much, but somehow managed to gain 4 pounds.

Well, there is something new for you to see in NYC. On Thanksgiving Day, at 10:00 am an old favorite store reopened. FAO Schwarz, the premier toystore in the world, reopened and went back to its roots. So, if you are in the mood for a mini-Ferrari for your (soon to come, maybe) child, a mere $50,000.00 will get him/her one. Or maybe a Rocking Horse for $9,000.00 instead? Or, how about the floor piano Tom Hanks played in the movie, "Big" I think it was, ($150,000, I believe). In recent years it had become too commercial, merely jacking prices up on toys you could buy anywhere, but I remember going into FAO, going up to the second floor, and looking at $3,000.00 mink coats for 4 year old girls. Excessive? yes, but looking doesn't cost anything. Anyway, if they are still open in June I would recommend it. We'll go during the Christmas season and I'll let you know if it's worth the trip.

There is nothing quite like Christmas in NYC. All the major stores have displays, even Tiffany's; they do things like have a scene of the wise men following a star, with a major diamond piece as the star. And that is the only thing in the window. The windows are about 2' x 3' and are very heavily fortified, obviously. Other stores have mechanical displays of Holiday scenes and some Christmas scenes. Of course there is the tree at Rockefeller Center, and the crowds of people. And that is only in MidTown. The other areas of Manhattan do things also. Walking down the street you buy chestnuts roasted in carts, or hot peanuts and pretzels. There is usually a giant star suspended over the traffic intersection of 57th St and 5th Ave, and the city is just aglow. In the residential areas you see the windows of the apartments decorated, and the street corners where Christmas trees are sold. It really is amazing.

Anyway, enough for now. I could go on and on, as I'm sure you're aware.

Thanksgiving was great, too much turkey. Now it's time for Christmas shopping. This week has been the most busiest time for me this year. My co-workers and I were working on our annual holiday toy drive. We provided food and toys for about 300 families (total of about 1000 children). It was lots of hard work but so worth it. Now I can go back to planning for my trip to NYC.
I would love to spend Christmas in NYC, but I hate cold weather. And I know how cold it gets in East Coast. White Christmas with all the decorations and lighting does sound amazing indeed.

I have been to FAO Schwarz in SF before they closed down. I'm sure the one in NYC is much more grand. Window shopping also works for me. I can't even justify spending $50,000 for my own car let alone for my future toddler. We would definitely visit the store in June, but no high priced items for us.

I'm sure the baby would be walking soon now that he is talking already. :D Is your grandson pretty well behaved? If not, are you ready for a cruise yet?

And yes, he is well-behaved. Doesn't stay out nights or anything.

And we very rarely have a white Christmas in NYC. Even if we do, within a day its grey, from all the traffic. But it is beautiful, regardless.

And yes, gathering food and toys for those who need them is a very worthwhile endeavor. Tiring, but worthwhile.

Let me get this straight, you're going back to planning for your trip to NYC and your cruise, and not your wedding? Maybe you should just elope, and come here.

And, remember way back when I mentioned the French Laundry in the valley as possibly the best restaurant in America? Well, the chef of the French Laundry just opened a restaurant in NYC, so ... now we'll see.

Great review, Thank you. My wife and I will be on our second Carnival Cruise (first was Victory 10/03) but this is the first with the kids. We were so glad to see other people with children had a good time too. Everyone should note that the ship changes the routes and ports, you took the basic trip we did last year on the Victory, but next week on the Legend we'll hit Belize, Costa Rica, and Panama with a 3 day trip home. Before I start a thread of my own, the only question I have of anyone is if they booked with Carnival directly like we did this time? Last year we used a travel agent, this year we booked direct and got warned we had to call the airline and confirm flights/seats a week before leaving. :( Are we in for problems?

Archived