Advice on cruising with young kids (especially twins)

nutwynmommy

I am thinking of taking the cruise that I've always wanted. My husband has suggested that we leave our twins with family and go on the cruise but I feel uncomfortable with leaving them that long. I would love to bring our twins along with us, but I am afraid that we would not have a very good time. I am also afraid of safety issues (they will be over 1 year of age when we go and possibly walking). What did you do on your cruise? Did you use harnesses when walking around the ship (I have a fear of them falling of the ship)? How did you feeling about leaving your kids with babysitting services? I would love any tips on making the trip enjoyable for my husband and I and safe for my twins.

I would strongly suggest leaving the twins with family.It sounds like your husband wants a relaxing vacation and it won't be with twins that age. It will be alot of work and not much free time for either of you. RCL and Celebrity offer incabin sitting (subject to availability). It is only in the evenings and at a cost of about $ 10 per hour per child. You will have to pay full 3rd and 4th passenger fares and will need a larger room to accomodate four. Two cribs will take up a lot of space. Really- wait until they are older.

Hi!

I have a twins as well, a boy and girl who are now five (they will be six in Feb). They started cruising when they were late 2 almost 3. I don't think I would have taken them any younger than that. Mine were walking by then. I think it really depends on your two. I was a little nervous the first time (mostly about them falling over) but we had no issues. Just made them hold our hand on deck and the door was to heavy for them to open in our cabin. They were already out of their cribs so they had no issues sleeping in the bed. I agree w/ rebeccalouise in that if you have to have two cribs there would not be a lot of room.

The kids programs are great, but if they are not used to any type of daycare they might not like it. Mine had not been in daycare the first time and my daughter did not want to stay. My son however loved it! We never left them for to long however when they were that age, just maybe for a quick dinner or a show. We traveled to beach locations and did not do any excursions, just hung out at the beach. We took life vests which we used at the beach, pool and on the tenders.

However I have to admit, it is much easier now that they are older! They love cruising!! They love the pools, they love the excursions (we have done stingrays, dolphins, pirate ships, fishing, etc...), they love dressing up -- they love everything about cruising! It's impossible to get them out of the kids club sometimes. We love the combination of family time and couple time that a cruise allows you!

I think that 3 years old is ideal to start and then it just get's better and better! You could book now and enjoy the planning or take this one with just your hubby if you have that option.

Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions!

Michelle

I can tell you from experience that leaving them can be horrible especially when cruising and you can't just pick up the phone. Well you can but it's terribly expensive. I left my son when he was 14 months and it was a mistake. I took him at 26 months. You are worried about it now then you are the type that shouldn't do it. I'm not saying that those who can leave their kids are bad parents I'm just saying that each parent has an ability to leave personality and fighting it can ruin a vacation.

I will tell you that because he wasn't walking at 14 months it would have been a whole lot easier because at 26 months my son walked and walked and walked. We didn't need the stroller except when we wanted to contain him (buffet line). That said you know your kids and their energy level. If it were just one child I would would say do it but with two it can be hard and you will need your husband to go along with you because you will need his help.

As far has falling off the ship that won't happen. The pool deck on most if not all ships are glass (or plexi glass) walled so not an issue. The other decks have multiple bars. My son would have managed if he could. But those are the decks you watch them on.

As for harnesses I use the monkey one and there is also a bear and a dog. I got them at Walmart and people seem to like them as apposed to the stairs if you use the plain harness. My son loves his monkey.

I have traveled with my kids at every age. So I can tell you that 13 or 14 months is a busy time in their lives. They are very active- tend to hate restraints of any kind and are into everything. It isn't that you can't cruise with them. I did but it was work for me. I don't think I had much free time to chitchat- except at dinner when we got a sitter. By day, I was on the go- running around the empty lounges and the minute I put him down he made a beeline. Loved running down the endless halls. He had a great time- I needed a vacation from the vacation.I have cruised at least 20 times with kids of varying ages. 3 and up are perfect for cruising. Prior to that a nice condo with a kitchen, balcony and separate livingroom make for a nice vacation- especially if you have extended family around to help out.

As for the "restraint" my son started wearing his harness as soon as he began walking. He loved going outside so the rule was wear it whenever we go outside. Because he wore it from the beginning it is just something he does and it's a non issue.

If your kids are energetic (and I've seen some that are perfectly calm sitting in their strollers for hours) then you might want to at least wait until 2 and choose Carnival or NCL where they can go into the kids program for an hour or two hear and there. That said I saw kids who were about that age on my cruise and the parents had them on deck and the kids let the parents lounge.

My two boys had very different temperments but both of them like to be on the go by the time they started walking. This is normal behavior for a child. If a child is content just sitting in a stroller or a high chair for long periods of time at 14 months- I'd be quite surprized and even concerned.Its not that kids at this age are terrible- they are just active and this should be encouraged- as it is a normal part of their developement. Keeping them contained is a good idea- in terms of having places for them to play.For example- my son loved climbing the outside metal stairs. So we went up and stairs with me behind him but I didn't allow him to climb down the stairs- in case the ship swayed and he fell. Stuff like that was doable.I did take my youngest on a cruise at this age and all I am saying is that it is alot of money and not that easy. It can be done but it isn't like you and hubby are going to sipping cocktails in the hot tub- at least not at the same time.

I am thinking of taking the cruise that I've always wanted. My husband has suggested that we leave our twins with family and go on the cruise but I feel uncomfortable with leaving them that long. I would love to bring our twins along with us, but I am afraid that we would not have a very good time. I am also afraid of safety issues (they will be over 1 year of age when we go and possibly walking). What did you do on your cruise? Did you use harnesses when walking around the ship (I have a fear of them falling of the ship)? How did you feeling about leaving your kids with babysitting services? I would love any tips on making the trip enjoyable for my husband and I and safe for my twins.

My twins went on their first cruise at 13 months, and we loved it so much we just celebrated their 3rd birthday on their 4th cruise.

Unless you are on an extremely old ship, I don't see ANY way they can fall off the ship. All of the outdoor decks you'll use have floor to ceiling windows - there is no need to ever be on a deck with railings. Safety-wise, stairs are the bigger issue. I just kept mine in their front/back double stroller to get from point A to point B, and then they had plenty of space and places to roam (and a wonderful thing about ships for toddlers is that none of the furniture has sharp edges).

Carnival will allow them in the late night group sitting and RCCL offers (but doesn't guarantee) sitters who will come to your cabin at night, so I'd choose one of those (or another line that would offer sitting) so you can enjoy some alone time with your husband.

Lots of people cruise with their toddlers and have a great time. On the cruise we just finished, there were many double strollers and TONS of toddlers not old enough for the kids program (we were on Princess) and I didn't talk to any parent who regretted bringing their child. I did have a lot of parents comment to me that they wish they'd brought their kids along.

On another note, I do think that it's important to have relaxing, quality time alone with your husband. I just think you can have it both ways if you pick a ship that will provide your toddlers with babysitting.

Best,

Mia

Archived