I have heard/read sailing into Malta's Port is a must see! We have a balcony cabin - would that be good or should we really be on deck to see it?

missty

We were just awestruck at the view from our portside veranda. I think that having the veranda partitions to "frame" the view kind of added to the drama, because we waited breathlessly for what was going to come into view next.

But I have never the done the entry to Malta on deck, so I can't actually do the comparison (although I believe that the starboard view is open sea). I can tell you that you won't be seeing towers or high cliffs whose view is blocked by the top of the veranda.

But I have never the done the entry to Malta on deck, so I can't actually do the comparison (although I believe that the starboard view is open sea).

Nope, both sides definitely have a view. As you're entering, the starboard side has the view of Valletta, and the port side would have the view of the towns on the other side of the harbor. Both are excellent views. I think it's a tough decision on whether to stay in your cabin or not. On deck you'll be going back and forth from one side to another (unless you can find a good spot to see both). You could do the balcony for both entering and leaving, since that would give you both views, but the lighting conditions were pretty different for us (early morning vs late afternoon), which made for interesting contrasts between the two times, so I have to admit, seeing both at both times might be a plus.

Personally, we had an aft cabin, which let us see both sides at once :).

(For our Malta photos, http://www.schrock.org/photos/2007-Med-Cruise/malta/ )

Nope, both sides definitely have a view. As you're entering, the starboard side has the view of Valletta, and the port side would have the view of the towns on the other side of the harbor.

You're right. I checked a map of Malta, and realized that what we saw were the towns of Kalkara, Vittoriosa, and Senglea, which are across Grand Harbour from Valetta, and separated from each other by channels of water. Early in the morning, maybe 6am, and bathed in a golden light from the sun, they were an amazing sight from our portside veranda. But yes, not actually Valletta.

We have an aft cabin - so you think we should watch from there? I was thinking maybe we could get some really nice pictures as we're leaving?

If it's a true aft cabin (as in on the actual back of the ship, facing backwards), I think it's a fine place to watch from. I know I did, and I know several people on balconies near me did.

Unfortunately it might also depend on exactly where you end up docking too. On the Royal Princess we went in fairly deep into the harbor, turned around, and docked fairly far in. The Royal Caribbean ship that came in later I believe also turned around before docking, but wasn't as deep in the harbor, so probably couldn't see quite as much.

If you're listed as docking at 7am, I'd definitely be up well before that. I'd guess we might have entered the harbor anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour before we docked. I vaguely recall getting up pretty early and looking at my gps to decide whether I needed to get up yet, but deciding I could go back to sleep for a while. But I don't remember when I first checked to see where we were. I think I also turned on the tv to the bridge camera channel to keep an eye on where we were to decide when to get up to go outside.

Nope, both sides definitely have a view. As you're entering, the starboard side has the view of Valletta, and the port side would have the view of the towns on the other side of the harbor. Both are excellent views. I think it's a tough decision on whether to stay in your cabin or not. On deck you'll be going back and forth from one side to another (unless you can find a good spot to see both). You could do the balcony for both entering and leaving, since that would give you both views, but the lighting conditions were pretty different for us (early morning vs late afternoon), which made for interesting contrasts between the two times, so I have to admit, seeing both at both times might be a plus.

Personally, we had an aft cabin, which let us see both sides at once :).

(For our Malta photos, http://www.schrock.org/photos/2007-Med-Cruise/malta/ )

Piper 28, those photos are fantastic! I sent them to my travel companions, as none of us knew anything about Malta. Would you mind letting me know which tour you took in Rome-- I am blown away by how much you were able to see in 1 day!

Piper 28, those photos are fantastic! I sent them to my travel companions, as none of us knew anything about Malta. Would you mind letting me know which tour you took in Rome-- I am blown away by how much you were able to see in 1 day!

We actually only did a tour in one port, Canakkale (for Troy). Everywhere else we just did our own wandering around. Someday I'll get around to putting up a writeup on our cruise, but I've been slow at doing that.

In Malta we used the buses to tour for the day. Cost was something like 7 euros for the two of us for an all day pass. (We probably could have gotten off easier by paying the individual fare, but it was easier to have the all day pass).

In Rome we took the train to the Rome Termini station, then the subway to the Colosseum, then walked everywhere for the rest of it, eventually taking the train from the San Pietro station back to the port. Very long day, very hot, and we were absolutely beat at the end. But it was a lot cheaper than any tour would have been, and we could go at our own pace (which we found important because of the heat).

BTW, Malta was really a surprise for us. We weren't really sure what we'd think of it, but we ended up having a real blast. I'd love to go back at some point to see some things we didn't see. (Although preferably when it's about 30 degrees cooler than it was when we were there, since it was 104+ at the time.) Some of our tablemates got together and hired a cab to do basically the same things we did. After comparing notes they seemed to feel it was debatable whether it was really worth hiring the cab vs taking the bus (although that obviously depends on how comfortable you are with making sure you get back on time).

Thanks for your response! We are travelling with our moms (who are late 50s and late 60s), so I am nervous about expecting them to walk a lot-- but maybe we'll send them on a shore excursion and see the city ourselves on foot. I don't know why we always take guided tours when we cruise-- especially given that we like to plan all of our land based vacations ourselves. If you ever get around to writing up a full review of your strategy, please let me know!

We did a lot of walking on that cruise. Between that and the heat, I know I actually lost weight, and I wasn't exactly eating poorly. Obviously it depends on the person. I certainly wouldn't claim to be in the best of shape, and my parents could probably manage to walk me into the ground :). I did find I was more or less useless the day after Rome, only went onto shore in Portofino for a brief period then went back to the ship to relax.

Archived