Bag the Lifeboat Drill?

scorpiochic

Silly question from someone who has done 6 cruises and one coming up~~ HOW do they know who I am? I have never been asked my name or what cabin # I'm in. Is there a marking on the life jacket that tells them what room I'm in? And what about when they don't make you wear a life jacket, like they did on the Paradise?? What am I missing?

Proof that I do the Muster:

Orange Vests for Life~~

DSCN2946aa.jpg.0131c3722da4208fd566089fa6bde42a.jpg

Silly question from someone who has done 6 cruises and one coming up~~ HOW do they know who I am? I have never been asked my name or what cabin # I'm in. Is there a marking on the life jacket that tells them what room I'm in? And what about when they don't make you wear a life jacket, like they did on the Paradise?? What am I missing?

Proof that I do the Muster:

Orange Vests for Life~~

If I remember correctly the Vests do have room numbers on them.

Ok if the vests do have something on them that makes sense~ but what about the cruises where they do NOT make you wear the vest? Like I said I was on the Paraside Jan 8 and we did NOT wear the vests to muster! So HOW would they know who was who in that situation? As you can tell this is driving me crazy~~

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
The Me generation?

I find that as ignorant as missing the drill! where did that come from.. the ME generation.. I hope that isn't about us youngins.....I have a friend that went back to iraq 3 times even though he could have retired the military... well he is no longer with us due to heavy fighting in Fallujah ...may he rest in peace! He died there so no more of us will have to die here! I find it very offensive to say something like my generation isn't as good as yours!! I've been hearing for so long about the golden generation... Any time someone puts everyone into one stereotypical boat you can just as well forget what they have to say... I'd like you to tell my friends parents that he is from the lazy no good generation... careful what you say... you will depend on us for social security and legislation that protects seniors when they loose their voice... off my soap box....

but back to the topic... if it really kills you to wait for the drill... go after a few minutes so that they start shortly after youll arrive.this way your not standing there for 15 minutes before they start. I can feel the heat coming for even suggesting this..( oh but then i have to wait for you) .. true.. but what did you expect from the ME generation....Cruises are for fun... don't let others always negative views and comment disrupt your cruise... there are more of us then them anyway!

=========================

Oh, good grief!!:confused::cool:

It must be crew specific because on my first cruise I got married on ship and when they came around for the muster, my door was locked and I was a bit...um...busy. They knocked several times, eventually stopped, and never said a word to us afterwards.

I've never seen them do more than knock on doors, never had to do an actual muster at the drill.

People get awfully uptight about other people's decisions. If you get that worked up over something like a lifeboat drill, maybe you need a vacation...

=====================

Hopefully, it will never cost the lives of 3 people - you, your spouse, and the guy they sent to look for you! Think about the "Costa "Concordia" and the lives lost there because some of them were in their cabins until the water started rushing in, and then couldn't get through the fast flooding passageways. Being isolated in your cabin is the last place you want to be in an emergency!

Join the group! Attend muster drill and learn which lifeboat is yours and where it is. Knowledge is power - perhaps to save some lives!

It must be crew specific because on my first cruise I got married on ship and when they came around for the muster, my door was locked and I was a bit...um...busy. They knocked several times, eventually stopped, and never said a word to us afterwards.

I've never seen them do more than knock on doors, never had to do an actual muster at the drill.

People get awfully uptight about other people's decisions. If you get that worked up over something like a lifeboat drill, maybe you need a vacation...

That sounds like fun...

HOW do they know who I am? I have never been asked my name or what cabin # I'm in.

At least on NCL, they do asked for name and cabin number, and if you don't show for the muster, they supposedly will come to your cabin afterwards and make you do it. NCL however has stopped requiring us to bring and wear the lifejackets probably because they would have eventually have gotten skanky and people were breaking the little beacon lights :p

If your cruiseline doesn't ask for your name/cabin, then they don't know if you've been to muster and they may have only marginal safety procedures. *knock wood*

• 1 month later...
At least on NCL, they do asked for name and cabin number, and if you don't show for the muster, they supposedly will come to your cabin afterwards and make you do it. NCL however has stopped requiring us to bring and wear the lifejackets probably because they would have eventually have gotten skanky and people were breaking the little beacon lights :p

If your cruiseline doesn't ask for your name/cabin, then they don't know if you've been to muster and they may have only marginal safety procedures. *knock wood*

All cruiselines started that back in 2009 or 2010. People tripping on the cords on the stairs was considered a safety issue-so it was no longer a requirement. so much nicer now that we do not have to do it.

After the Costa disaster I can't understand anyone not wanting to do the lifeboat drill. More than likely it will not be needed but better safe than sorry. It is sort of like seatbelts-99.9% we do not need them but just one auto accident and we are glad we wore them.

=====================

Hopefully, it will never cost the lives of 3 people - you, your spouse, and the guy they sent to look for you! Think about the "Costa "Concordia" and the lives lost there because some of them were in their cabins until the water started rushing in, and then couldn't get through the fast flooding passageways. Being isolated in your cabin is the last place you want to be in an emergency!

Join the group! Attend muster drill and learn which lifeboat is yours and where it is. Knowledge is power - perhaps to save some lives!

That was posted before the Costa disaster-hopefully she feels differently now.

• 2 weeks later...

Even after the Concordia accident, we had people that did not think they needed to go to the muster drill a month after. We saw the cabin steward explaning that they had to go even if they knew where their station was.

Maybe the cruise lines should take a lesson from the airlines and remove those who fail to follow crew instructions off the ship at the next port.

Even after the Concordia accident, we had people that did not think they needed to go to the muster drill a month after. We saw the cabin steward explaning that they had to go even if they knew where their station was.

Maybe the cruise lines should take a lesson from the airlines and remove those who fail to follow crew instructions off the ship at the next port.

Like that idea. Never been on a cruise but will always go on muster when I do it's to much of a risk.

We actually missed the muster drill on our first cruise, about 10 years ago, thanks to US Air flight about 6 hours late. We were about the last people on the ship, and the muster drill was in process. They said, "ahhhhh, just stay in your room until the drill is over."

• 1 month later...

How inconsiderate are you to think that your time is more important than the lives of others. I agree with the poster above, if you are caught skipping muster, you should be put off the ship. I would never miss a muster drill. Even when aboard the carrier while in the Navy we had mandatory muster drills. Not just the first day, but through out the whole 6 month cruise. You kind of had to muster for them too, no matter busy you were. (And no DOD were allowed! :eek: )

On the JFK it was the Captains drill to always pull a junior enlisted in to his office to "chat with him" before the muster drills. The sailor was told not to worry, he would be mustered, but then was not. Several times through out cruise workstations got caught mustering "all hands accounted for'' when one of their junior guys was actually missing and sitting in the CO's office. The CO felt it was that important that he have a way to spot check the musters.

I just can't understand why anyone would want to miss the muster drill!?!?

It doesn't take long and it could save your life in the event of an emergency.

I would never miss it because if something really bad happens, I want to know where I need to run to. OH, and I will probably be the first one there, with my life vest on!!

• 2 months later...
NO. Muster drill is mandatory. Safety is important for everyone. Each ship and each cabin area on each ship has a different muster station. If there's an emergency, skipping muster drill could prove to be the worst decision you ever made.

if there's an emergency, I think you'd figure out what to do.

When my husband and I were perusing cruise videos on YouTube, we came across one where the person holding the video camera videod himself actively missing the Muster Drill. The first thing my husband I said was "Great, now the whole ship has to wait while they find the guy."

It may have made for some cool video shots but it still made the ship not leave on time. THAT, my friend, is indicative of what Clipper means when he says the "me" generation. "I don't care if I am holding everybody else up, look at me and my video for YouTube."

In every generation there are those who do not fit into the standard criteria. I am sure your friend was one of those, otherwise he would never have enlisted. There are those who go above and beyond in EVERY generation but the generation categories also help most of us understand where SOME people are coming from.

As a psychologist, I like to have a good, firm starting point to work with before I look at the outside of the spectrum. By using the generational categories I have a pretty good starting point. Again, not all people fit into all categories, but wouldn't you agree that this person who so gleefully put the lives of all on board that ship on hold while he hid from the Muster Drill WAS out for just his own fun and entertainment?

• 1 month later...
My cruise in December was my first post-Concordia one. We were on Disney Cruise Line. Everything on the ship closed during the drill. Is closing everything standard across the cruise lines now?

I just cruised on RCI and EVERYTHING was closed during muster drill. They had us report to the station, sounded the alarm, and then we watched a safety video and were dismissed. Really, it was pretty quick and painless. You have a whole cruise vacation to do what you please :).

if there's an emergency, I think you'd figure out what to do.

So you think you would?

Then that's OK, obviously it's worth risking the life of the staff emember who ahs to help you if you disocver the way you think soemthing will work, isn't right.

So you think you would?

Then that's OK, obviously it's worth risking the life of the staff emember who ahs to help you if you disocver the way you think soemthing will work, isn't right.

Agreed, don't be a jerk, just go to the stupid muster drill, it takes just a few minute's out of your life, and in the event of an emergence it might just save you or a loved ones life.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived