Bag the Lifeboat Drill?

scorpiochic

On our last cruise there was no escaping although more than one couple tried. They swiped our cruise cards as we entered the muster station which for us was the Vista Lounge, in the same kind of machine they use when you reboard the ship in a port . They refused to start before all had been accounted for. We were there at least 30 minutes after the scheduled start time before the two delinquent couples were chased down and ushered in to what I would call a rather unfriendly crowd. Their trying to skip the drill caused a couple of hundred people to waste their time.

• 2 weeks later...

Folks speaking as a Naval Officer my opinion is obviously going to be biased on this point, but the muster drill no matter what you think of it, whether it appears to be a mess or not, whatever. The simple fact of the matter is, the muster is not for us as crew, it is for you as passengers. The reality is, if something happens I do not want to be the one searching the ship which could be on fire or sinking because you did not have a clue where to go when the bells sound.

I can give a guarantee however that if you get lost in what can become a very disorientating environment, those of us which have a shred of honor and dignity will come for you, just try not to make us have to.

Missing a drill once, I can understand, miss it twice and I am afraid you will either get a telling or be kicked off the ship, it does not matter to me how much money you paid, you forfeit your money with some companies these days if you do not attend musters.

• 2 weeks later...

My question is why would you want to? The muster drill is in place so you know what to do in the event of an emergency. Do you really think that if in the radically unlikely event of an abandon ship, people will have the time to patiently lead you where you need to be?!

Archived