Bag the Lifeboat Drill?

scorpiochic

I personally don't mind the drill. It is good information on where to be in case of an emergency. Plus the muster drill always indicates we are about to get underway and my cruise vacation has finally begun.

My thoughts exactly. Its like "finally ready to leave" moment. Who cares that that moment needs to be announced with 2,000 new friends all wearing their best orange party outfit?

The second its done you know its party time.

Paul.

Went to muster on first cruise. Next three cruises, the room steward did not enter the room. Cruise 5, wife was post surgery and in a wheelchair, room steward came in and said we did not have to go. Last cruise, room steward came into the room and told us to go to muster. We left and re-entered while he was checking the room 2 doors down from us.

Of the six cruises I've been on, only attended one muster drill. Wife and I figure as long as you know where your station is, all the other info is going to be the same.

Well, Being a New Yorker and

after seeing that plane floating in the Hudson, I will listen to the Cabin Stewards on the plane..I will never ever skip a Muster Drill either!!

I PROMISE!!

Went to muster on first cruise. Next three cruises, the room steward did not enter the room. Cruise 5, wife was post surgery and in a wheelchair, room steward came in and said we did not have to go. Last cruise, room steward came into the room and told us to go to muster. We left and re-entered while he was checking the room 2 doors down from us.

You may fool someone who has never cruised but I have cruised 15 times-what you say is not true. The stations check off your stateroom number and some lines even ask your name. they know very well who do not participate.

Well, all I can say is that in this day an age safety is not something to fool around with...But, if you feel you must-

I just hope other people's foolishness does not impede on my ability to insure the safety of my family. I will continue to go to all muster drills, and to insure my children learn by example. Mine not yours...

And if 'it hits the fan' the word they will be using to describe you will be: 'casualty.'

I don't care for the drill, being somewhat claustrophobic, but have never missed one. I have also never given name and cabin number or been checked off. On the Conquest last September on our girls cruise, my friend who was a first time cruiser really wanted to attend so we were among the first there got to meet our crew leader and every time he saw us he made a point to say HI. So we knew that he would miss us, and heaven forbid in case of an emergency would send someone looking for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only been on one cruise, however I do remember our cabin number and names were checked off of a list at the muster station. I love the photos from the muster, I am looking forward to going on my next cruise in 3 weeks and taking photos again.

tigerlily952

I don't care for the drill, being somewhat claustrophobic, but have never missed one. I have also never given name and cabin number or been checked off. On the Conquest last September on our girls cruise, my friend who was a first time cruiser really wanted to attend so we were among the first there got to meet our crew leader and every time he saw us he made a point to say HI. So we knew that he would miss us, and heaven forbid in case of an emergency would send someone looking for us.

Okay well it has been 5 years since I was on Carnival. Maybe they don't. That doe snto say much for the concern of the safety of their passengers thoguh. I know NCL, HAL, Celebrity and Princess does. On NCL, they called me by my daughter's name. I had not given my name, just my stateroom number, they had looked on their list that they were checking off whom was at the drill and assumed I was my daughter. I suppose it had names and not ages.

One thing also-the cabin number is on your life jacket, sometimes they simply look at your life jacket and get the number off of it. perhaps carnival does not ask your name.

I like Princess drills the best. All they did was have me show them I could put my life jacket on correctly ( I had it hooked wrong) and then they marked down my cabin number and said I could leave. They did not make me wait for everyone else to show up. I LOVED that!

I have never been on a ship where I have had to use the lifeboats for real, but I know that if that happened, I would be really glad that I had some idea of what to do and where to go. I hope that I only every have to go to the muster station for drills and never the real thing!!!

I always figure that after you've done the muster drill, you have ZERO responsibilities for the duration of the cruise, other than enjoying yourself and of course, leaving at the end. So it's all downhill after that!:D

On my last 2 cruises (RCI, Princess) we were led to one of the specialty restaurants and did not have to put on the lifejackets or actually go to the lifeboats. The lifejackets DO have your cabin # clearly marked on them and they do take attendance.

• 2 weeks later...
With all due respect to the OP, while "bagging the drill" might seems like such as trivial thing, the idea of purposely missing or evading the drill is a perfect example of the self-centered, selfish attitude of the "me" generation. Its all about what "I" want, what makes "me" feel good.

When I evade the drill, everyone else has to stand around at their stations longer while the crew resolves who is missing and if they can be located. But that's all right, at least I wasn't inconvenienced and didn't have to "waste" my time on the silly lifeboat drill. Its so silly that it is MANDATED BY US COAST GUARD REGULATIONS; they think its important but what do they know about maritime safety.

When I evade the drill I may not be able to get to the proper station in a real emergency. So the crew will have to try to determine who is missing and someone will be dispatched to find me. Deciding to "bag the drill" means that I have made a decision for two lives, mine and the person who will be sent to locate me. But that's OK, I wasn't inconvenienced and managed to "put one over" on the crew on departure day.

Lets just go to the drill and don't try to be clever and "outfox" the procedure; it takes more effort to find a way to avoid it than it takes to do it.

When I get on an airplane I count the number of seat rows between me and the two nearest exits; when I get to a hotel I count the number of doors between me and the two nearest fire exits; when I get on a cruiseship I go the lifeboat drill. My life is worth something to me and a few minutes is little enough to invest in preserving it.

Going or not going to the drill is a lot like lying or telling the truth. Its easier to tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you lie you used last time. Just go to the drill, its for your own good and it might just save your life, and that of someone else, someday.

I'm sure someone will find a way to take umbrage at this but that's life.

John

Proud member of the Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas Plughole Society

Lighten up, Francis :rolleyes:

For those who "missed' the first muster drill.... Their names should be announced over the entire ship, for all to hear. Notes placed on their doors for everyone to see 'how special they are'.

--------------------

I have been on ships where the missing cabin number is broadcast over the ships PA system asking that cabin member to please report to their muster station. After waiting another 15 minutes, he finally arrives, to face the angry glares and comments from his fellow muster station companions. It was not a pretty sight, believe me! You DO NOT want to keep your fellow muster members waiting for YOU!! Remember, they just might have to share a lifeboat with you out on the sea!! Don't make the crew pull you out of your cabin and march you down to the muster personally! I've seen it happen.:mad:

We haven't given our name but the cabin numbers were on the lifejackets so they had their clipboard and checked off the cabin numbers as people arrived and then they called out numbers of those missing. This was on RCI and Carnival, I'm not sure if all ships have the same system but I would guess they have some type of similar system. :confused:

The one thing I do not appreciate about muster drills is having to use the stairs with my bad knee. I just arrive a little later or I take my lifejacket and go on the same deck as the muster stations at the first announcements. That way, I can use the elevators. I didn't put on my lifejacket though on my last cruise, it was in my hands, and was suprised no one told me to put it on! Don't worry, nest time, I'll put it on :) :)

How many of you seasoned cruisers bag the standard lifeboat drill and stay in the room? Any rituals??????

rituals? yes.

me and whoever else hates the muster drill finds empty lounges to chill in during the muster drill.

done the drill times before, learned it, and find a thrill in skipping it.

I just read a posting yesterday that in the last week someone on a Princess cruise had to scan in their cruise card at the muster drill. That's a great idea so that everyone shows up, and the drill can be finished quickly. Princess does such a nice job with the drill especially having it in lounges and theatres instead of standing outside on deck.

Archived