Rental Car

marysb

My wife and I were on Cozumel last month and we rented a car from Avis, a Ford Focus, and it was perfect. There was a lot to be said for air conditioning, and the roads are in great shape, we only hit one or two potholes and we drove all the way around the island. We even took the unpaved, and very bumpy road up to Passion Island with no difficulty, just some careful driving.

Hope this helps you make a choice...

Rich

We would like to get a rental to tour the island. I see many people have rented jeeps. Would this be a better option (because of road conditions)?-or does it matter?

Not only is a Jeep TOTALLY unnecessary, it is likely to be only a 2 wheel drive vehicle. Just about all the rental jeeps have had their 4X4 shift linkage disconnected, so even if you wanted to engage the 4 wheel drive, you wouldn't be able to do so. For me, the only reason I can think to get a jeep is if you want to take the top down for that "wind-in-your-face" feeling.

A car is much more practical and less expensive. A car has AC, a much better ride, a back seat that won't have adults curse your name, is lockable, and better gas mileage (which probably won't matter much for only a day rental but matters if you are there a week).

Get a car. :cool:

Thanks, for the info. A car it is! and the price is right.

Which rentals are downtown. We are docking at Punta Langusta (sp) pier, so would like to get one nearby.

Mary

There is a avis office located downtown, and im sure there will be agents at the pier. If you want to pre book go to cozumel insider dot com lots of great info about the island and car rental. Enjoy. Oh wait one last thing be sure to get $0 deductable insurance.

There is a avis office located downtown, and im sure there will be agents at the pier. If you want to pre book go to cozumel insider dot com lots of great info about the island and car rental. Enjoy. Oh wait one last thing be sure to get $0 deductable insurance.

I've rented thru CI and received great customer service from them.

I agree on getting the insurance.

Get the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com it is more than a great map, it is an excellent guide to the island.

Archived