Uxmal review

wecamp

I had signed up for the Uxmal tour months before we sailed on the Carnival site. Since it was so far away I decided to go with Carnival. We headed down the pier and looked for the gentleman with the Uxmal sign. He took us right to the bus. And let me tell you, there was only one bus to Uxmal. We were on the road by 7:30am. We saw the lines for Chichen Itza, there were 3 lines and they were very long. They had to have 5-10 buses. The ship was really pushing Chichen Itza the day before. They hadn’t even loaded the buses when we left.

It was a very interesting 1 ½ hour ride to Uxmal. There were 2 guides. One talked for around 30 minutes about the Mayan cultural. Then he just let us enjoy the ride. We stopped at a rest stop about 20 minutes from the Uxmal entrance. It was a small shop and a small bathroom. Not a luxury bathroom, bring your own paper and hand wipes.

Then we arrived at the site. It was beautiful. We had a guide for about an hour then he let everyone look around on their own for 45 minutes. We had about 15 minutes to look at the official shops inside the Uxmal area and then there were vendors outside selling mostly clothes. We bought a couple of t-shirts and a dress. T-shirts were $5.

On the ride back we ate our provided lunch of a sandwich, fruit, and Mexican chips. The whole bus had fun comparing chips, they were defiantly not Lays. It was a quite ride back to the pier. We arrived about 1 ½ before boarding, so we had plenty of time to shop the shops at the pier.

It was a really nice tour, no crowds, nice bus, great guides. I highly recommend it.

Tammy

Just got back from our cruise and we did Uxmal. Let me tell you it was wonderful and a site to see!! Loved it!! I was told ahead of time to do this tour. I heard that Chitzen Itsa (sp) is of course one of the 7 wonders of the world but that people that had been to both picked Uxmal as being a little better so we went and I am so glad. All the pictures I took were beautiful. I would recommend it to anyone going to Progreso and I would go again myself.:D

Just got back from our cruise and we did Uxmal. Let me tell you it was wonderful and a site to see!! Loved it!! I was told ahead of time to do this tour. I heard that Chitzen Itsa (sp) is of course one of the 7 wonders of the world but that people that had been to both picked Uxmal as being a little better so we went and I am so glad. All the pictures I took were beautiful. I would recommend it to anyone going to Progreso and I would go again myself.:D

Did you do the ship's excursion, on your own, or with a private company? We will be there in March for 12 hours, and want to do Uxmal (have already done Chichen Itza) and then tour Merida and Progreso. Got a quote from the Yucatan Travel for a van for the 5 of us for the whole day, and is comparable to the ship's Uxmal excursion by itself.

Anyone else used Yucatan Travel?

Thanks,

Alicia

I went with the ship tour due to how far the trip was. We couldn't risk time and getting back on the ship. It was the way to go. The trip was 1 1/2 hours and it was pretty far into the country side. Not a touristy area.

Tammy

We did it thru the ship this time because we had never been to this port yet and it is a bit of a bus ride. It was about an 1 1/2 each way but it was not that bad, our tour guide talked and answered questions etc...after we had people on the bus that had done Chitsa Itsa(sp) and said although that one was great and one of the 7 wonders of the world that hey also felt Uxmal was better. I usually book thru private tours. There was a tour place right at the dock area after you walk thru Los Cinco Soles and past a few of the little shops it's called Auto Progreso, they were standing out and offering tours for different stuff. They are available online too I believe.

We did it thru the ship this time because we had never been to this port yet and it is a bit of a bus ride. It was about an 1 1/2 each way but it was not that bad, our tour guide talked and answered questions etc...after we had people on the bus that had done Chitsa Itsa(sp) and said although that one was great and one of the 7 wonders of the world that hey also felt Uxmal was better. I usually book thru private tours. There was a tour place right at the dock area after you walk thru Los Cinco Soles and past a few of the little shops it's called Auto Progreso, they were standing out and offering tours for different stuff. They are available online too I believe.

Thanks for the info.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!!

Since you booked the tour through Carnival, did you get to climb the ruins at Uxmal?

I have heard that at Chichen Itza the ruins are roped off and you can't go to the top.

I have heard that at Uxmal you can climb the ruins to the top but I didn't know if that was through a private tour or a Carnival excursion.

Thanks!!

I've already booked this excursion for my cruise in April. Actually, I've alread booked all of my excursions. Thanks to threads like this it makes a hard decision easy. I love having it all set up ahead of time so that I don't have to think about it come vacation time.

• 2 weeks later...
Carnival is not offering this on my sailing for some reason so I guess I'll have to get my own ride at the pier.

:cool:

I just responded on the other Uxmal thread, also. Looking at your countdown clocks, I think I will be in Progreso before you- we will be there 3/28. We're booked with Autoprogreso, and I'll post on here how our excursion turned out.

When we were at Progreso before we did Chichen Itza, and did it through RCI. That was back when you could climb the ruins. I was a little hesitant to book without an outside company this time, since it is quite a ways from the pier, but Autoprogreso had good reviews, and they are much cheaper than RCI. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that at Uxmal you can climb the ruins to the top but I didn't know if that was through a private tour or a Carnival excursion.

Climbing the Pyramid of the Magician is no longer permitted for tourists.

You can however climb the steps of the Nun's Quadrangle and the steps up to the Governor's Palace.

It is my understanding that this tour is offered on board but not available through the website. Is this true?

My cruise mates have not been to Chichen Itza so they would like to go there. I have been to CI so I would prefer this tour. But I'm not sure I want to chance missing the tour with my mates. So should I chance waiting for on board to book Uxmal or can I cancel Chichen Itza once on board.

Thanks for all the help!

Jenny

I have just returned from Grandeur of the Seas with a stop at Progresso. I appreciated the advice from this site and would like to share our experience. We travelled with 2 adults and a 3 and 7 year old with auto progresso to Uxmal.

We booked this trip at 08:45 at the port the day of the tour and left downtown Progresso and 09:30. We were back at 15:00. If you care about saving money please note.. this tour cost $72.00 per adult and child on the shore excursions. This was on a large tour bus with 40 to 50 people total cost $288.00.

Auto progresso costs $ 55 per adult and $35 for one child, my 3 year old was free. Total cost $145.00. We travelled by airconditioned mini van, the roads were perfect, the guide was friendly and knowlegable. We asked to spend a little longer at the site so we had a tour from 11:15 to 12:30 then were on our own until 1:45.

Tour is highly recommended. The auto progresso shop is very visible at the port and they all speak english and take US dollars.

Alicia wrote:

"Did you do the ship's excursion, on your own, or with a private company? We will be there in March for 12 hours, and want to do Uxmal (have already done Chichen Itza) and then tour Merida and Progreso. Got a quote from the Yucatan Travel for a van for the 5 of us for the whole day, and is comparable to the ship's Uxmal excursion by itself.

Anyone else used Yucatan Travel?"

Alicia, how did it go with Yucatan Travel. Were you able to adequately see both Uxmal and Merida?

Debbie

I looked for Yucatan travel when we arrived at the pier 2 weeks ago on RCI Voyager, I did not see them, the reps from autoprogresso where everywhere. So we booked with them. Adults where $54 (discounted from the $55 because we had 8 people in our group). Child 10 and under $35. We did a lunch stop after the tour at ($10 per person) Bienveidos, the best banana leaf wrapped chicken cooked in the ground I have ever had:) . Wear a hat or visor, the sun is sitting on the ruins:) . There where 4 family on the air conditioned tour bus, all people from Cruise Critic.;) My boys 10 and 13 where hot and ready to leave:eek: , It was a great tour our guide Miguel was very knowledgeable. I would not do this tour again only because been there done that, will try something new next time. Have a great time.

Echo Queen - How did your boys like the tour. Did it keep there attention, or were they bored? I am going to progresso in may and would like to do this tour through autoprogresso. I will be traveling with my mother, daughter (10) and son (14). I am afraid they will be a little bored with the long travel time. Also how long did your tour last? Thanks!

My boys said they were bored and hot:eek: we, as a family researched Uxmal before going and read a book about it, but they really didn't have the full appreciation of being there. They where able to take some pictures of big lizards.:rolleyes:

I looked for Yucatan travel when we arrived at the pier 2 weeks ago on RCI Voyager, I did not see them, the reps from autoprogresso where everywhere. So we booked with them. Adults where $54 (discounted from the $55 because we had 8 people in our group). Child 10 and under $35. We did a lunch stop after the tour at ($10 per person) Bienveidos, the best banana leaf wrapped chicken cooked in the ground I have ever had:) . Wear a hat or visor, the sun is sitting on the ruins:) . There where 4 family on the air conditioned tour bus, all people from Cruise Critic.;) My boys 10 and 13 where hot and ready to leave:eek: , It was a great tour our guide Miguel was very knowledgeable. I would not do this tour again only because been there done that, will try something new next time. Have a great time.

It was that hot, huh? Yes, we will definitely take hats. I hope my 10 year old daughter will like it. Her idea of fun is to get her hair braided.icon7.gif

Another question: I take it lunch was included?

Helen

Lunch was an additional $10 per person optional. Some folks just ordered drinks and chips. The $10 lunch included a fountain drink and tip, it did not include the bottled Cokes we had which were $10 for 4 Cokes. The food was great, garden salad, chicken, tortillas, rice, and beans and dessert (fruit). When is your trip? It is said that it is always hot there. We live in central Texas, it was Hot.

Archived