Shopping?

teacher2cruiser

This is really NOT the place to shop. We did the tabayana beach excursion. It had many down sides, but was a nice beach overall. Having driven through the island, I can say it has rustic beauty, but no shopping. My husband would not go to Roaton again, because of how "scary" the pier area was.

A shopping comparison: It is like saying Cozumel is the New York City and Roaton is a Truck Stop in Appalachia.

I'm not trying to be snobby, don't flame me, I'm just trying to help her see what the island is like.

There are several stands to shop at right outside the gates to the dock to the right. I wish we had more time to look around. We were there last week from 8am-8pm, but didn't get off the ship until 10am due to the tenders (usually not an issue for NCL, but we were there a day late and the VOS got the dock). Once we finally got off the ship, we had a great day, we hired one of Victor's drivers for the day. We saw his monkeys at his house (my kids's favorite part of the whole cruise, I think), did an off shore snorkel, ate lunch at West Bay, and zip-lined. By then it was raining hard and almost dark. There were a few shops still open at 5:30, but because of the hard rain and wind, most had closed up early. Even then, we felt safe walking from the indoor shops to the ship. The shopping is mostly handmade/handcarved boxes, the usual tshirts, etc.

My husband would not go to Roaton again, because of how "scary" the pier area was.

A shopping comparison: It is like saying Cozumel is the New York City and Roaton is a Truck Stop in Appalachia.

I tend to agree. Once you are outside the gates......YIKES!!! We went to the beach which was very nice, but Coxen Hole left a lot to be desired.

It's really not so bad for a developing area. There was lots more to see and I felt safer than I did when we sailed from Houston (LaPorte) several years ago...come to the think of it, I don't think I would've walked around the NYC dock area after dark either! I rather thought the primative nature of the entire island led to its unique charm. Others disagree...I'm sure once Diamonds International, Carlos & Charlies, and all of the other Cozumel-like businesses move in it will be much safer...and much more expensive!

I'm sure once Diamonds International, Carlos & Charlies, and all of the other Cozumel-like businesses move in it will be much safer...and much more expensive!

It won't be long!! Royal Caribbean now has a long term lease of the Roatan Coxen Hole dock, which is why it is being expanded. They plan on adding "a thematic village of some sort, a high quality waterfront project, with a mix of retail, restaurant, food, beverage and entertainment appealing to cruise ship passengers" (http://www.bayislandsvoice.com/issue-v4-5.htm)

Also, Carnival is building its own 2-ship cruise ship terminal in another of Roatan's bays with "a 20-acre upland area that will include a welcome center, shops, restaurants, bars and a transportation hub" (http://www.expertcruiser.com/blog/carnival-starts-construction-for-new-roatan-port/)

So, be ready for the Port & Cruise Consultant pre-port lectures about their most-trusted local businesses (Diamonds International, etc.)!! If you want to see "Gilligan's Island", you better get there soon!

There are several stands to shop at right outside the gates to the dock to the right. I wish we had more time to look around. We were there last week from 8am-8pm, but didn't get off the ship until 10am due to the tenders (usually not an issue for NCL, but we were there a day late and the VOS got the dock). Once we finally got off the ship, we had a great day, we hired one of Victor's drivers for the day. We saw his monkeys at his house (my kids's favorite part of the whole cruise, I think), did an off shore snorkel, ate lunch at West Bay, and zip-lined. By then it was raining hard and almost dark. There were a few shops still open at 5:30, but because of the hard rain and wind, most had closed up early. Even then, we felt safe walking from the indoor shops to the ship. The shopping is mostly handmade/handcarved boxes, the usual tshirts, etc.

What was the cost of doing all of that? Was it the same fot the kids as the adults?

What was the cost of doing all of that? Was it the same fot the kids as the adults?

Victor's Rates for a Private Tour Guide/Vehicle for the time you are in Roatan (http://boddentours.com/tours.htm):

$25 per person (age 5 and over)

$ 2 per person (Monkeys)

$15 per person (Offshore Snorkel, 6 person minimum)

$45 - 65 per person (Zipline, depending on which one)

The snorkeling is great from the beach at West Bay Beach, or at Half Moon Bay, too...both for Free! There are some photos in my Webshots gallery in the link below my signature that I took at West Bay Beach, snorkeling from the beach. Also photos of a "typical" Bodden Tour (I've been on 3 now!)

Tx is correct on the rates. We had booked the offshore snorkel ahead of time, and felt bad canceling when they were waiting for us, so we did it anyway. It was pretty rough weather, so we did not go to their usual spot, but still saw some cool things. We were about 1/2 mile offshore. There were 5 of us and they were fine with that. We also had lunch and invited our driver to eat with us. We did the zip line at a new place called Memba Zip Line. We got there and the rain had let up for a few minutes. The guys were literally in their truck and had closed up for the day. Our driver Tex spoke with them and they reopened just for us! We had 4 guides, and it was so fun! It was $45pp.

Tx is correct on the rates. We had booked the offshore snorkel ahead of time, and felt bad canceling when they were waiting for us, so we did it anyway. It was pretty rough weather, so we did not go to their usual spot, but still saw some cool things. We were about 1/2 mile offshore. There were 5 of us and they were fine with that. We also had lunch and invited our driver to eat with us. We did the zip line at a new place called Memba Zip Line. We got there and the rain had let up for a few minutes. The guys were literally in their truck and had closed up for the day. Our driver Tex spoke with them and they reopened just for us! We had 4 guides, and it was so fun! It was $45pp.

Sorry to hijack the thread...but tell me about more about Memba!

We stopped in Roatan last January. It was one of our favorite stops. We went to a small resort for a few hours (Barefoot Cay, www.barefootcay.com) which was incredible. Then we went back to the pier area for shopping. Yes, it was a very poor area and not the commercial shopping areas like you see in Cozumel, etc. But, we felt totally safe walking around. They had beautiful wood carved items and a lot of the usual stuff, but we had a great time walking around. I also needed to stop at the Farmacia for diaper cream for my son. We accomplished that too w/o any problems. I think all of this is subjective, of course, but take a look for yourself. If you are not comfortable, don't worry...get back on the ship. But if you give it a chance, you might have a great time.

Lisa

Archived