Question about GEM penthouse suites

DW has two questions about GEM penthouse suites, I am hoping someone can answer.

1) Do the penthouse suites have towel warming racks in the bathrooms?

2) Are the balconies private enough that she can go topless while at sea without worrying about gawking from neighbours?

Thanks in advance if you can answer.

DW has two questions about GEM penthouse suites, I am hoping someone can answer.

2) Are the balconies private enough that she can go topless while at sea without worrying about gawking from neighbours?

1) Haven't had towel warming racks on the NCL ships..not even in OS.

2) Balconies are private unless you request the cabin steward to open the connecting door;)

1. Don't know about the racks but will find out on Janaury 26th

2.The penthouses (AA & AC) in the bow are NOT private. Your neighbors can look around the aft ones (AE & AD) also There's topless sundeck on the Gem on deck 15

Happy Cruising

Guest Anorak33

We have had both AC bow penthouse 9502, huge patio, not private at all, and an aft one (8132 identical room in every way) but with a small balcony at the very stern, totally private.

No heated towel rails, never even thought of needing one. Lovely fluffy bathtowels though. The pool towels however are not as absorbent.

That was on Gem recently, the Inaugural and the Transatlantic.

For the difference in cost I think I'd not book the bow penthouse AC again.

Our next cabin is Jewel this week in an AB, see what that's like, it seems we are slowly working up to a Garden Villa.

Only thing is I don't really want the isolation of a GV or a CV, I've seen what it can do to people, especially if they got it as a real cheap upsell!

I'm just jealous really.

Anorak:

We stayed in an A3 on the Pearl and loved it. I don't understand your very generalized comments ("Only thing is I don't really want the isolation of a GV or a CV, I've seen what it can do to people, especially if they got it as a real cheap upsell!"). What exactly is it that a CV "does" to "people" - we're people and I don't think our stay there did anything to us?

If you're referring to your previous posts about the behavior of some of your "friends" who upsold to a CV and then from what I gather you didn't see too much of them on the cruise - that behavior is indicative of ONLY your friends - not all who choose to stay in a CV.

Please don't generalize - I apologize in advance if I have misinterpreted your posts on this subject here and in previous threads.

Guest Anorak33

What it can do to people is make them always want the luxury space and privileges of a Courtyard - they will likely never be happy even in a balcony or minisuite again.

I know what having a penthouse did to us, I am looking at Jade transatlantic for $599 a person now for an inside ( and Jewel T/A for $100 more) and cannot bring myself to book it as we really really want that suite on there but its too expensive at the moment. And the G/F does NOT want an inside, even if it was free. She used to be happy just to be on a cruise.

So we are booking nothing and hoping the suites (of any description) will become more affordable.

We have never had an upsell and doubt we would ever get one. I would say that the only thing that affects whether you get an upsell would possibly seem to be - maybe Platinum - maybe being a prominent CC'er - and probably having senior officer friends.

I should have learnt my lesson by now that it doesn't generally pay to book too soon on NCL, but its kinda like Deal or No Deal (the TV show with Howie Mandel) , you never know if you are making the right decision when at last you deal!

And then you are usually sorry you did.

Anyway we are working towards platinum, I shall never be a prominent CC'er, but I did polish Klaus Lugemaier's shoes every night on the last cruise.

Let's see if any of that works?

Anorak: No one has EVER been able to figure out how upsells work but in our case (we've had 2 upsell fairy calls) - we're not platinum, I'm certainly not a prominent cc'er and I sure as heck don't know any ship officers!

Maybe in our case it had to do with inventory depts need to have cabins that we had booked 6-9 months in advance. We're almost always early bookers with little to no flexibility about changing cruise dates (DH's job) but twice were lucky enough to be offered upsells.

You are correct though about the suite life - we haven't booked an inside cabin since the '80s, each cruise moving to a better category over the years. Once you experience the suite life you don't want to look back!

We have had both AC bow penthouse 9502, huge patio, not private at all, and an aft one (8132 identical room in every way) but with a small balcony at the very stern, totally private.

No heated towel rails, never even thought of needing one. Lovely fluffy bathtowels though. The pool towels however are not as absorbent.

That was on Gem recently, the Inaugural and the Transatlantic.

For the difference in cost I think I'd not book the bow penthouse AC again.

Our next cabin is Jewel this week in an AB, see what that's like, it seems we are slowly working up to a Garden Villa.

Only thing is I don't really want the isolation of a GV or a CV, I've seen what it can do to people, especially if they got it as a real cheap upsell!

I'm just jealous really.

The ABs are great - having managed to afford one on the Gem's inaugural. Have a great time on the Jewel.

We have never had an upsell and doubt we would ever get one. I would say that the only thing that affects whether you get an upsell would possibly seem to be - maybe Platinum - maybe being a prominent CC'er - and probably having senior officer friends.

I disagree...our very FIRST cruise, we did receive an "upsell" call...no platinum status (no status), no prominent CC'er, and did not know the name of any senior officer.

We believe it was luck....it has happened since then and has NOT happened since then;)

Good Luck:)

What it can do to people is make them always want the luxury space and privileges of a Courtyard - they will likely never be happy even in a balcony or minisuite again.

Well, I'd have to say that while my DH and I loved the Courtyard experience, we will be very happy to back to booking our usual "lowly" balcony cabins. I really do not think that scoring a CV as an upsell has anything to do with how people react or behave there. In fact, the snootiest, rudest folks in the Courtyard area when we were there were the folks who booked at the full fare and simply couldn't abide others who might not have. Their sense of entitlement was disgusting. Sure, it can make some people act like "better than thou" idiots--but I have to agree with watchdiva that the generalization is kind of insulting, even if you didn't quite mean it that way.

I know what having a penthouse did to us, I am looking at Jade transatlantic for $599 a person now for an inside ( and Jewel T/A for $100 more) and cannot bring myself to book it as we really really want that suite on there but its too expensive at the moment. And the G/F does NOT want an inside, even if it was free. She used to be happy just to be on a cruise.

I do understand this, at least to a degree. For us, the bottom line is that we must have a balcony. I'd rather cruise less often with a balcony than five times a year in an inside. But that's just us--and I sure as heck don't think we're "better" or "entitled" because we prefer balconies. Would you be willing to settle for a mini-suite or is it "Penthouse or better" for you? If so, then you're kind of admitting to being guilty of what you accuse others of being: Being affected by whatever having a high level suite "does" to those who book them. (But I freely admit to agreeing with your GF that we wouldn't cruise in an inside even if it was free. OTOH, we spend a fair amount of time in our cabin/suite, so that balcony is really key for us.)

So we are booking nothing and hoping the suites (of any description) will become more affordable.

I hope that they do come down in price and that you're able to score one, and I mean that quite sincerely.:)

Can't say for us, but it was our first NCL cruise; we know no one at NCL; we're "nobodies" in the cruise world--heck we haven't even quite made it to Platinum with RCI because we aren't loyal to any particular line. However, I think that having a cabin in a prime category in a prime location helped in our case. It was one of the slowest weeks of the year, the cruise had been discounted (A4s were listed at only $3,400 p/p at the Senior fare 3 weeks before the cruise), and we had scored an aft AF at a Senior fare that was less than the original fare for a BA. We accepted the third upsell call for an A4 (the only suites left besides one GV) at a price that still kept us under our original booking fare on the BA. Our aft AF went back into inventory, and 2 days later was resold. Did we love being in a Courtyard Villa? Oh you bet we did!:D Did we act "entitled"? Oh heck no; we're pretty low maintenance to begin with and don't like to be "hovered" over all the time.

I should have learnt my lesson by now that it doesn't generally pay to book too soon on NCL, but its kinda like Deal or No Deal (the TV show with Howie Mandel) , you never know if you are making the right decision when at last you deal!

Absolutely agree!

Anyway we are working towards platinum, I shall never be a prominent CC'er, but I did polish Klaus Lugemaier's shoes every night on the last cruise.

You never know.;)

Anorak:

We stayed in an A3 on the Pearl and loved it. I don't understand your very generalized comments ("Only thing is I don't really want the isolation of a GV or a CV, I've seen what it can do to people, especially if they got it as a real cheap upsell!"). What exactly is it that a CV "does" to "people" - we're people and I don't think our stay there did anything to us?

Ditto. The only thing it "did" to us was make us appreciate the special "gift" we had gotten.

If you're referring to your previous posts about the behavior of some of your "friends" who upsold to a CV and then from what I gather you didn't see too much of them on the cruise - that behavior is indicative of ONLY your friends - not all who choose to stay in a CV.

Too true. Those "friends" sure don't sound like real friends to me.

Please don't generalize - I apologize in advance if I have misinterpreted your posts on this subject here and in previous threads.

I agree that it's sometimes hard to "read" tone of voice, attitude, etc. on the forums.

Anyway, happy cruising to all no matter what category your cabin may be. We are all special and we all deserve to have a wonderful time.:D

beachchick

Anyway, happy cruising to all no matter what category your cabin may be. We are all special and we all deserve to have a wonderful time.:D

beachchick

Yes, I agree -- but it is easy to be spoiled by going FIRST CLASS rather than being stuck in steerage.

We've done both and had a fine time when in steerage since we only went there to sleep (or sleep together) in our younger days. But as we are getting older, the SUITE life is definitely 'catching'. We're now at the stage where we want to cruise less often, but cruise better.

DW says 'blame it on the butler' -- she spoiled us too much.

Guest Anorak33

I do agree, steerage is good when you start cruising and the ports of call are the reason you cruise, later on in your cruise career you've been to all those ports and the ship itself becomes the destination to a greater extent.

Thats why we love Pearl and Gem, with all the facilities of an excellent hotel and resort, good food, nice amenities and the extras of a suite, the space and comfort.

I would prefer at least a Penthouse as in a minisuite I hate having to sidle along the little gap between the end of the bed and the wall, I only thing I don't like about a penthouse suite is that the bath is too small for me.

I guess I could always lose a few pounds. But in the real world that is not going to happen so in future its an Owners suite for me, I think the baths are longer in those.

:(

To me it sure sounds like you are jealous of people that get upsells. I have seen a couple of your other posts on this subject and I believe you would not be making the same comments if you had gotten an upsell. I would love to know your exfriends (who you mention in another post) side of the story. Sounds to me like they are better off with out a friend like you who is envious of them instead of being happy for them.

Archived