Onshore Alaska

scotsgirl

Hi there - can anyone give an indication of what clothes I will need on shore Alaska in July.

Sailing 13 July on Celebrity Mercury with husband and in-laws. Can't wait.

Having spent a lot of time in both Alaska and Scotland, I'll say that you can wear what you wear at home. Well, Alaska is more casual in most situations.

Hi there - can anyone give an indication of what clothes I will need on shore Alaska in July.

Alaska is amazing, you will have a great trip.

Like the other person said, AK is casual. Layors is the key. Even in May or June, there have been people that have wished they had shorts or at least light pants and short sleeve shirts on a nice sunny day. Cruising the glaciers can get quite chilly, although our day was so warm, my daughter put on her shorts to watch them. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2385948660068225190izDGTJ

We were there the end of June. In Juneau it was rainy and quite chilly. I wore a sweatshirt, jacket (sweatshirt lining and waterproof exterior). and additional raincoat and was comfy. So it really changes from day to day.

I suggest you go over to the Alaska ports of call section. They have a ton of great information for you.

Have a great trip.

As stated previously, there are many threads discussing this topic. Here are just a couple:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=12908549#post12908549

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=680273

PennyAgain is right, that since we're at the same latitude, expect the same sort of temperatures in general. Since each Southeast community gets a different amount of rain, just figure it may pour, or not.

I did give a ride down from a hiking trail to a Scottish couple and said something about how our weather should be similar and they made that sort of nervous humming sound in the back of their throats. LOL! It was a warm day for Juneau, so maybe they were surprised. Or maybe it's a case of it's the same, only it's different.

The shoes always come down to your planned activities, a raincoat is a must unless you're expecting to do nothing but shop, and those layers, layers, layers.

Alaskans are even more casual dressers than the rest of the US, so that's saying something! The tourists who stand out to me on the streets are folks who wear something very urban from both ends of the spectrum, either brightly colored tracksuits and sideways ball caps to Italian ladies in dresses, hose and heels. :eek:

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Same weather as Scotland!! That could be anything in one day - but I'll definitely take lots of layers.

Soo excited about visiting Alaska - big change from my usual laid back sun/sea holidays.

Archived