Mariner replacement in Port Canaveral??

Imhokie

Maybe I have missed a thread but does any one have any idea what ship RC might move to Port Canaveral? I phone RC and was told they might know something in March? I thought someone here might be "in the know".

The Mariner will certainly be missed.

Kathy

Maybe I have missed a thread but does any one have any idea what ship RC might move to Port Canaveral? I phone RC and was told they might know something in March? I thought someone here might be "in the know".

The Mariner will certainly be missed.

Kathy

Are you saying its going to be *replaced* by another ship? I love Mariner and it better be there for my Nov 2008 cruise :(

WHEW!! Found this so realize its not until 2009. Also there is a lot of talk out there on other boards that Freedom Of The Seas will be in Port Canaveral instead

Carnival Pride is moving back to Florida to make way for the 113,000 ton Carnival Splendor which will take over the seven night Mexican Riviera cruises from Long Beach beginning on March 29, 2009.

I am guessing this move is designed to compete with Royal Caribbean's move of the 138,000 ton Mariner of the Seas to Los Angeles. Mariner of the Seas will begin the seven night Mexican Riviera sailings on February 22, 2009.

Both Ships will call at Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan.

Are you saying its going to be *replaced* by another ship? I love Mariner and it better be there for my Nov 2008 cruise :(

It moves in Feb 2009. It's going to LA, Calif. The trip around the Horn should be an exciting but expensive.:eek:

WHEW!! Found this so realize its not until 2009. Also there is a lot of talk out there on other boards that Freedom Of The Seas will be in Port Canaveral instead

Carnival Pride is moving back to Florida to make way for the 113,000 ton Carnival Splendor which will take over the seven night Mexican Riviera cruises from Long Beach beginning on March 29, 2009.

I am guessing this move is designed to compete with Royal Caribbean's move of the 138,000 ton Mariner of the Seas to Los Angeles. Mariner of the Seas will begin the seven night Mexican Riviera sailings on February 22, 2009.

Both Ships will call at Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan.

The problem though is, just by ship design Carnival can't compete with RCI. :D

Hey I heard that RCI is looking for a new tender provider for the Genesis Class. Maybe Carnival can get that job. The Carnival Pride is just about the right size.

:D;)

There are lots of rumors and quite a few threads about what RCI will do in Port C. The most repeated rumors are that RCI would locate a Freedom class ship in Port C. This would not happen until Genesis is introduced in late 2009 so there will be a hiatus in Port C of about 9 or 10 months without an RCI 7 day ship.

Hi,

According to their website the Mariner is going to be doing the Mexican Rivera for 2009. The Monarch and the Sovereign will be doing a Bahamas cruise but no other 8 day 7 night cruises are being listed. It probably has to do with their new launch of the Gensis line coming out in Fall of 2009. So they are more than likely going to move one of the freedom class ships up to Port Canaveral.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the information. My friends want to sail the Mariner the first or second week of January but it is not on the schedule. Sounds like they won't have a RC option from PC in January. Bummer. All this after I got them fired up. :(

I hope the Pride goes back to Port Canaveral, It was the right size ship, and was beautiffully decorated, not like some of the other Carnival ships. I've been on the Mariner twice (It's my favorite) but I would still like to see the Pride relace the Glory. I almost have to cruise out of Pt. Canaveral because I can drive to and from it in 1 day. We usually have 6-8 going so air fare runs

$2000-$2500 vs. driving $300.

It seems RCI has a lot of replacing to do in 09.

They have:

7 night Bermuda, from the Empress

7 night E/W Caribbean from Mariner

3/4 night Mexico from Monarch

I keep in contact with a LA from one of the ships, and she knows as much as we do. I guess they don't tell them everything, until they release it to the public, and also, if they do know some things, I'm sure they are not allowed to tell.

So those are 3 replacements for 09, maybe more I missed. I'm sure it will be interesting as to see what RCI does, especially if they move more ships around than we already know.

It moves in Feb 2009. It's going to LA, Calif. The trip around the Horn should be an exciting but expensive.:eek:

Just saw an advert ... about $5400 for an oceanview for 45 days. That seems like a pretty good deal to me! Too bad I'd lose 2 months of pay in the meantime.

RCI is moving the Sovereign to another line that they own and it (I think) will be going to Spain.

Allen

Yes, both Empress of the Seas and Sovereign of the Seas will transfer to Pullmantur line, RCI's spanish subsidiary.

Empress will transfer there March 08 while Sovereign will transfer late 08.

I just hope they're not on the same port schedule.:eek:

No worries. They are doing opposite just as they are now. RCCL does 1 sea day, Cabo, Mazatlan & then Puerto Vallarta finishing with two sea days. Carnival starts with two sea days, then Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo finishing with one sea day. So they will never be in port at the same time. That is not to say that they will not be in port with other ships.

Pshhhhhhhhhhhhht! I heard today there might be a reversal of an earlier decision. It might be that it will be the first Genesis going to Port Canaveral.

It certainly would make sense.

When the Genesis class was first announced I figured it would go to PC to tap Orlando tourism. I speculated it may be a 3/4 day cruise to perhaps Jamaica or perhaps tap or create a new Dom. Rep market. Granted, these places will probably require new ports/docks but, hey, when you're spending millions on a ship then a port may not be that much more - especially if a local government is contributing.

But, a friend said he heard the Genesis is going to Fort Lauderdale. So, who knows. I did read that PC is going through renovations. They are going to tip of land that the ships have to zig-zag around to get in the main channel and they are going to move the fuel tanks further back. It seems I remember something about dredging but I'm not sure about this.

Like you all, I will miss the Mariner. But I hope they will pull Independence of the Seas to Port Canaveral. This too makes logical since due to IOS finishing it's debut in the UK.

When the Genesis class was first announced I figured it would go to PC to tap Orlando tourism. I speculated it may be a 3/4 day cruise to perhaps Jamaica or perhaps tap or create a new Dom. Rep market. Granted, these places will probably require new ports/docks but, hey, when you're spending millions on a ship then a port may not be that much more - especially if a local government is contributing.

But, a friend said he heard the Genesis is going to Fort Lauderdale. So, who knows. I did read that PC is going through renovations. They are going to tip of land that the ships have to zig-zag around to get in the main channel and they are going to move the fuel tanks further back. It seems I remember something about dredging but I'm not sure about this.

Like you all, I will miss the Mariner. But I hope they will pull Independence of the Seas to Port Canaveral. This too makes logical since due to IOS finishing it's debut in the UK.

Yes, Genesis Class will homeport from Fort Lauderdale, for at least the first year. Jamaica, and St. Maarten, are building new piers for bigger ships, obviously the Genesis.

Port Canaveral is expanding, and going through renovations, because since the Mariner is leaving, I guess they are going to replace in it 09, and it will most likely be a Freedom class with the renovations being done.

Archived