Ocho Rios vs. Montego Bay

VacationFanatic

When comparing Ocho Rios vs. Montego Bay, which one would you recommend?

My family and I would like to take a cruise with RCI's Liberty or Freedom to the Western Caribbean and the only difference is the port in Jamaica between these two boats.

Is Dunn's River Falls close enough to both ports?

Which port is more family friendly?

I appreciate your opinions.

:)

Comparing both ports...

Ocho Rios-everything is very very close to the port. Dunns River Falls is about two miles away. Grab a taxi and go without a guide. There are two shopping centers right next door to each other at the base of the pier. You will be able to see the ship no matter which shopping facility you are at. There is a straw/outdoor market about 2 miles out of town opposite direction of the falls. Margaritaville is a couple hundred yards away fromt he ship as well. A beach area with non-motorized water toys. Very family friendly port...the dolphin encounter is across the street from the falls.

Montego Bay-There isn't anything within walking distance to this port. Traffic is always congested when trying to leave. There is very little little shopping except for a couple of shops at the pier. everyone seems to go to an all-clusive when they dock in Mobay.

Of the two ports....I prefer Ocho Rios. We have been to Jamaica three times and about to go for our 4th and 5th trips. Get out an experience some of Jamaica.

Ocho Rios is a small quiet port town and Mo'bay is a congested city. Comparing the two is like comparing New York City to Hazzard County (for those who remember dukes of hazzard).

Montego Bay really has just all inclusive resorts that I would suggest and is about 2 hrs from the falls.

Ocho Rios is not exactly a beautiful town, but it has Island Village, Taj Mahal for shopping, Margaritaville at the docks, a small cove beach (not the greatest) and a couple hotels that offer day passes on the other side of the bay.

Archived