need fin recommendations...

MamaParrotHead

We discovered on our last cruise we really enjoy snorkeling. I got a relatively inexpensive Body Glove mask + dry snorkel set on amazon for a reasonable price. Now I'm looking for recommendations for fins. Preferably ones that we don't need boots for. Something preferably under $25 per pair and are good for the occasional snorkeler.

Specific brands and models would be great. If not, things to look for when browsing are also appreciated.

Thanks!

I LOVE my OceanWays SeaDart Professional Snorkeling Fins. I can actually fit them into my suitcase when I fly by just bending the tips a little bit. (I have a BIG foot. They are a size large.) I like them because I slip them onto my foot kind of like a slipper and then flip on a strap that goes around the back. It is much easier to put them on dry than the ones that go over your entire foot. I'll try to find a link and post it so you can see what I mean. On the last few cruises I have had a little bit of problem with my feet swelling. Even with that problem, I was still able to use the fins, whereas if I had been using my older traditional rental type fins, they wouldn't have fit. I think they were priced at $30 at the sporting goods store, but I got them on sale for about $22 last June. The only place that I had problems with them was on Catalina because I had to walk on a VERY rocky beach to get into the water, and the strap buckle popped off. But from sandy beaches, and especially off of boats, they are great.

I wasn't able to find a picture of the exact product online, but I found some that look similar....

p1242336th.gif

At least it will give you an idea. There are many expensive brands that are made similarly to mine. But since you wanted to keep the price low, I would suggest you look somewhere like a Sports Authority, Big 5, or whatever you have near where you live. I just don't know if they'll have much of a selection at this time of year. Good luck.

Try a set of Aquaglides over at Leisure Pro. DPSFG with open heel (does not require boots). Fins Up!

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?Op=dtSearch

We discovered on our last cruise we really enjoy snorkeling. I got a relatively inexpensive Body Glove mask + dry snorkel set on amazon for a reasonable price. Now I'm looking for recommendations for fins. Preferably ones that we don't need boots for. Something preferably under $25 per pair and are good for the occasional snorkeler.

Specific brands and models would be great. If not, things to look for when browsing are also appreciated.

Thanks!

You might want to also think about some dive socks. If you don't want to invest in them ($10-$30, depending on maker, material and thickness) then just bring some old socks with you.

On the rare occasions when I use full-foot fins, I always bring along a pair of old sweatsocks. After 15 minutes or so in the water, my feet get mushy, and the rubber/plastic rubs all my skin off. It's even worse with a few grains of sand in there.

After I'm through in the water, I just chuck the socks in the nearest garbage can.

You will look a bit dorky, but walk away with happy feet. ;)

Wendy

Check out the socks on my DH at CocoCay (diver on the right)

1148131305055701600S425x425Q85.jpg

I've had a couple different kinds of fins, but for the last couple of trips I've decided not to take any of them - we rent them.

It's always been a pain lugging all this stuff around - both in luggage and the airplanes and in a beach bag going snorkeling. Most of the weight and bulk has been with the fins. I finally realized that almost every time we snorkel it is either someplace they provide fins (ship or private excursion) or at a beach or dive site where there is a vendor renting equipment (typically $5 or less).

The other great advice I can give you is the same that w&k gave in the post above - dive socks (also called fin socks). We bought some neoprene fin socks - these are short ankle high socks made of thin neoprene that protect your foot from rubbing, chafing and scratches from wearing fins. We bought these from an online dive equipment vendor for about $10. I've seen other materials but the neoprene has worked the best for us. Here is a link to the ones we bought (click here) but most on-line dive stores sell similar items.

Thanks!

Someone has already mentioned Leisurepro.com. Searching around for diving equipment I found that this site always has the lowest price for any online shopping. You might be able to find a better price locally but this is a good choice if you are shopping online.

NOTE: I have heard from others that dive computers, scuba regulators, etc. do not come with a manufacturers warranty. So I wouldn't buy anything technical from them but for fins and mask it should be fine.

As for what to look for, split-fin fins have more power to them. If you are looking to cover a large area these might help. Additionally, the stiffer the fin the harder it is on your legs. If you don't have strong legs or you have a tendency to cramp up you might want to avoid stiff fins.

For me, I just went for the fins in a colour I liked and a reasonable price. I honestly don't think it matters for me since I just putter around; I'm in no hurry to get anywhere.

Archived