What is not to be missed in Key West?

singjenn

Hello y'all!

I appoligize if this has been asked, I couldnt seem to find what I was looking for.

This is my second trip to Key West and my husband's first. The first time I went (July 2007) me and my friend got lost. In 5 hours all we were able to do was go to the Hemingway House, Key West Cemetery, and a little shopping.

I am going back in 30 days on the Carnival Liberty and hopefully we won't get lost.

What do you think we should not miss?? My husband wants to visit the Hemingway House so we will be going there, but I am interested in other places....preferably places that cost little or no money.

AND...what are some good photo ops? I'm a photographer and I am always looking for a good place for photos. I don't mind scouting out place myself, but if we are short on time it helps to know in advance.

Thanks in advance!

First, many free maps are available in little booklets given away in stores, hotels, restaurants and on street corners.

PHOTO OPS:

Southernmost Point marker: This colorful chubby red, black and yellow marker is said to be the SOuthernmost point in the US and is a popular palce for photos. There is often a crowd there taking pictures.

Zero Mile marker. This green and white zero marks the officila start of US HWY 1 that runs all the way to Maine. Folks are fond of stealing this marker, so you might not be able to find it.

Histroic Schooner Wharf: Here is where the "tall ships" dock. Very picturesque

Southernmost House: near the Southernmost Marker. Colorful architecture.

Sloopy Joe's Bar: Famous Key West Bar.

The monument to the wreckers, an awesome scupture of a sinking ship caught in heavy seas with a crew of two wreckers.

The "Old Salt" fisherman sculpture sitting on a bench outside of the Wreckers' Historeum. It is very funny to sit with "him" and post for pictures. He is so lifelike and has a priceless facila expression.

Any scenes at the Mallory Square nightly sunset celebration.

The Truman White House: Is decorated with patriotic, red, white and blue bunting. The Carters--Jimmy and Roselyn--just visited thsi site last weekend.

The Grotto at Saint Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church. It is designed after the Lourdes grotto. It is said to keep hurricanes away from Key West.

The Custom's House: This big red brick building has an enormous statueo fa woman that is almost two stories tall. That is a popular place for photos and only a hop, skip and jump from the ship dock. What amny people misss, however, is the sculpture of a turn of the century Parisienne seated at a cafe table around the corner and on the balcony of the customs house. It is fun to be photographed there sitting with her as if in serious discussion or just having a pleasant visit.

There is a kite store near Front Street that has its front yard full of colorful kites of all descriptions. I've always thought this scene lends itself to fabulous phtos and paintings.

Key West Chickens. Film these ubiquitous free-range rooster, hens and chicks crossing the streets or, yes, even roosting in tree branches.

B.O.'s Fish Wagon: This one-of-a-kind restaurant begs description. It is on a corner, but you might miss it and mistake it for--ah--something else.

Green Parrot Saloon: The oldest sallon in Key Wst and first (and last) bar on US Hwy 1. Their slogan is "No sniveling allowed."

Opportunistic photos. Just walk around and take pictures of the unique Key West architecture which is a combination of Bahamanian, New England and tropical Caribbean styles.

Hello y'all!

I appoligize if this has been asked, I couldnt seem to find what I was looking for.

This is my second trip to Key West and my husband's first. The first time I went (July 2007) me and my friend got lost. In 5 hours all we were able to do was go to the Hemingway House, Key West Cemetery, and a little shopping.

I am going back in 30 days on the Carnival Liberty and hopefully we won't get lost.

What do you think we should not miss?? My husband wants to visit the Hemingway House so we will be going there, but I am interested in other places....preferably places that cost little or no money.

AND...what are some good photo ops? I'm a photographer and I am always looking for a good place for photos. I don't mind scouting out place myself, but if we are short on time it helps to know in advance.

Thanks in advance!

Everyone photographs the sunset from the north side of the island at the Mallory Docks, but you can also get a good shot from the south side, at the very end of Duval, including the cement pier...

114263225-L.jpg

Pjk

Sunset photos taken from Fort Zachary Taylor State Park are stunning too. Of course, there is a fee to get into that park.

I do agree that the lighthouse offers some spectacular views. Another place is the lookout tower of the Wreckers' Historeum, but you will ahve to pay a fee to enter that establishment. However, it is interesting from the aspect of learning about the special hsitory of Key West.

Another spot for photos is Turtle Kraals.

You may not want to ride the Conch Train, but take a picture of one anyway.

Archived