Ship Motion

ebb32

Where would you feel the most motion on the ship? FWD? AFT? MID? Deck 1 compared to Deck 9?

Too feel the most motion? I would have to say AFT (or FWD), Deck 9. But that's just me!! :D Too feel the least motion, I would say MID, Deck 1. But again, that's just me. :D

If you look at the ship like a teeter totter you'll understand the movement. The bottom of the teeter totter is midship near the water line. As the ship pitches (up and down) the least movement is at the center, midships, just like a teeter totter. The greatest movement is at the extreme ends.

The roll motion (tilt left and right) of the ship is felt most on the higher decks. If you look at the ship from the bow and roll it left and right from the waterline you can see the most dramatic movement is at the top.

So, either fore or aft deck 9 would encounter the most movement!

:D

I once thought that mid ship was the best place for rough seas. After last week on the Triumph, I'm not so sure anymore. I went to various points on the ship to both visually assess and physically assess the movement. Each position had pitch, roll, and yaw. From the back, it looked like the bow was pitching a good 10 feet. From the bow, it looked like the stern was doing the same. Each position had the same roll. I thought the yawing (which was more like a side step) was the worst in the center, go figure. The sea height and wind direction and strength played major factors in the movement. So if the sea is kicking up, you're gonna get shook no matter where you are.

I once thought that mid ship was the best place for rough seas. After last week on the Triumph, I'm not so sure anymore. I went to various points on the ship to both visually assess and physically assess the movement. Each position had pitch, roll, and yaw. From the back, it looked like the bow was pitching a good 10 feet. From the bow, it looked like the stern was doing the same. Each position had the same roll. I thought the yawing (which was more like a side step) was the worst in the center, go figure. The sea height and wind direction and strength played major factors in the movement. So if the sea is kicking up, you're gonna get shook no matter where you are.

Thats been my take all along.

But I have been lucky enough to avoid really rough seas! (Fortunately):)

What days I have been out and felt any movement, I could not notice a difference at any point on the ship to speak of.;)

Pick you room and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Archived