Amachello River Cruise of the Danube

kaypeg

• 3 months later...

I just completed the Amacello Blue Danube Discovery cruise on May 3rd. It was my first river cruise although I have sailed on many ocean cruises.

The ship is modern and new. I must say I was very, very pleased.

The river was up and we were unable to board in Nuremburg as scheduled but were taken to another port (can't recall the name right now) but an excursion was offered into Nuremburg. We were finally able to sail after two days (ships cannot go under certain bridges if the water is high).

The service on the ship is excellent, the food even more so. They were smart enough to hire a young German chef by the name of Robin who simply excells. At every stop supplies of the region were picked up and the menu would include the freshest of meats, fish and vegetables especially asparagus just in season. The wines were also from each region, German and Austrian as well as French, Italian and from California.

Wines are included with the dinner service only.

A musician entertained every night and very good local talent was brought on in the ports. Beginning with tea or coffee at 4, then happy hour followed by announcements then dinner, the evening was as busy as one wanted. The dress was very casual to dressy casual nothing overdone.

The itinerary was the reason I took this cruise beginning with a stay in Prague, which was a beautiful old city.

I have to caution anyone staying in hotels in the old town to lock up all of their valuables in your hotel room safe or in your luggage. I recommend this for any hotel stay as I know of at least two cases where jewelry disappeared when forgotten in the room on this trip alone.

All in all is was a wonderful experience that I would recommend and I hope to do another one soon.

Archived