Freestyle 2.0 Additons/Room Service/Menus

RobertC313

Action Stations are cooked to order foods at the various areas (beef, pork, veggie, etc). A slicer with the meats, then everything that goes with it he puts on the plate.

Less Noro we hope with this.

I hope they get some good coffee.....I hear it's made from some type of syrup and tastes horrible. :(

What are "action stations"?

Action Stations are cooked to order foods at the various areas (beef, pork, veggie, etc). A slicer with the meats, then everything that goes with it he puts on the plate.

Less Noro we hope with this.

This is not how the Action stations work,

Some of the station are true cook/prepare to order but most are more like a standard buffet just smaller batches with the cooking area behind rather than in a back room, eg the burger hot dogs are cooked and lined up on a tray not done to order, another is the eggs bennidics at b/fast they are on a tray just like a regular buffet. Some prepare to order example, eggs, pasta, soup, sandwich, there is a carvery with the spit roast machine behind,usualy chickens and meat of the day, you still pick your own veg.

What is different is the stations are themed and there is no conger line through the buffet you go to the station you need with a plate(no trays)and pick your selections, the idea being you do a course at a time and no queue at each station allthough when realy busy you do get some lines eg. for eggs at b,fast.

Most of the food is still self selection.

Thanks-I thought for a moment that I had missed something along the way.

BTW-I know that some have said this is an NCL innovation. When was it first implimented on any ship? I know that they had it (or something very much like it) on the Radiance of the Seas several years ago (RCCL). At that time my family just referred to it as "buffet islands" (for lack of a better name)

This is not how the Action stations work,

Some of the station are true cook/prepare to order but most are more like a standard buffet just smaller batches with the cooking area behind rather than in a back room, eg the burger hot dogs are cooked and lined up on a tray not done to order, another is the eggs bennidics at b/fast they are on a tray just like a regular buffet. Some prepare to order example, eggs, pasta, soup, sandwich, there is a carvery with the spit roast machine behind,usualy chickens and meat of the day, you still pick your own veg.

What is different is the stations are themed and there is no conger line through the buffet you go to the station you need with a plate(no trays)and pick your selections, the idea being you do a course at a time and no queue at each station allthough when realy busy you do get some lines eg. for eggs at b,fast.

Most of the food is still self selection.

Thanks-I thought for a moment that I had missed something along the way.

BTW-I know that some have said this is an NCL innovation. When was it first implimented on any ship? I know that they had it (or something very much like it) on the Radiance of the Seas several years ago (RCCL). At that time my family just referred to it as "buffet islands" (for lack of a better name)

Celebrity Constellation had something similar with the pasta station and the pizza station and sandwich station near the main buffets, egg stations seem common on a lot of ships, I think the layout on NCL(gem/pearl) is just a variation on a theme

If you imagine a long section with about 8-10 stations for themed selections then in front of this is a big island with drinks at one end ice cream at the other, with various cold foods(salads,fruit,breads etc) facing the main food section then on the other side a desert station facing the seating area, so easy to come back for desert without mixing with those on the mains. Some of the stations are duplicated in the smaller great outdoors.

Not easy to explain, and the floor plans off the ships don't actualy show it that well but I think if you follow links to photo albums from reviews you will get a better idea.

Yes, I'd like to know if it's been implemented on the Jewel as well!

:) mary

PS: Thanks to everyone who's updating us!!

Here's a photo from the Jewel buffet back in '05 (they built "islands" in when they built the ship. I don't know if 2.0 will lead to any changes in them on the Jewel)

1009077573_ship-Buffet1.jpg.a04cc1dcd379362f3e9228bc8ec0c86f.jpg

We were just off the Jewel on Sunday. Did not see any 2.0 upgrades yet. I HOPE they replace the pillows soon. We had a total of 8 in the cabin and every one of them was incredibly flat and uncomfortable. Other than that, I did not have any real complaints.

I have also sailed Princess and was on the Jewel in 2005. It seems to me that the overall quality of the food in the main dining rooms has gone down since 2005. Several nights there was nothing on the menu that we wanted to eat--and I am NOT a food snob. When I was on Princess last summer, there were multiple items on the main dining room menus every night that I had to choose from. I guess NCL is focusing on trying to get you into the pay restaurants. We ate at Mama's and Tango's a few times and enjoyed them. I did not feel it necessary to pay an extra $20/person (4 people) for the other restaurants. I hope that the improvements come with better overall menus in the main dining rooms.

I don't drink coffee, but my husband does. He had coffee a few times at dinner. It was SO strong he could not put enough creamer into it!

Archived