Accessible Excursions in Alaska

sweetmozart

Hi everyone! This is my first post.

My husband and I are going on an Alaskan cruise this summer. My husband is disabled, but we would like to participate in as adventurous excursions as possible for his condition. I have read about kayaks that can be used by people with various disabilities.

Does anyone have experience with or know of a company that specializes in this type of thing?

Thank you Splinter for reminding us of the great Sticky in the front of this board. I forgot it was there and it does contain a lot of great planning information. It also reminded me to book Ocra for Alaska.

Deb

Hello All

I didn't see this one listed on the sticky or on this site so here it is:

http://www.whitepassrailroad.com

My husband and I are also doing Alaska this summer and I have this excursion booked for skagway. I contacted the company directly to confirm wheelchair access and their website also states that all rail cars are accessible, so I think it should work out just fine.

When are you doing your cruise sweet?

We went on the Whitehorse Pass railway, but booked through the cruise line (Princess). The train picks you up on the pier if you book this way, otherwise you have to go into town to get on. Often the entire train is sold out to a cruise ship, so you may find you cannot get tickets without booking through them.

There is only one car that is wheelchair accessible (with a lift), not all cars. It has a wheelchair accessible toilet as well. There are no tie-downs, but the train moves fairly slowly so this is not a problem, and there are seats for those traveling with ABs or who want to transfer from their wheelchair to a regular seat for the trip.

I recommend just taking the half day trip to the top of the pass and the lake. This gives you the rest of the day to go into town.

I have a list of accessible excursion that I researched for our two trips to AK. Feel free to email me and I will send it to you. Please put Cruise Critic in the subject line as I generally do not open email unless I know who sent it to me.

Thanks,

Jean

• 4 months later...

Thanks everyone. Yes, Jean, I'd email, but I'm not sure if there is a way to PM you on this board.

Metawnny, we are going in late August on Princess.

We have already booked Orca whale tour for Juneau. I'll look into the train. Has anyone tried the Chilkoot float trip through the bald eagle preserve ( in Skagway)? I wonder how difficult that would be to manage.

Hubby can walk short distances, so we couldn't hike. He hasn't used a wheelchair yet, so I'm thinking I'll take a folding wheelchair and use it as needed.

Anyone have experience cruising with someone who has a progressive disease and is in that, sort of, in between stage - almost into the wheelchair? I could really use advice.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived