cleaning/deodorizing snorkel

SoFetch

my future in-laws gave us snorkels and maks to use on our upcoming cruise.

but apparently they'd been sitting in a duffel bag in the attic since their last vacation...they still have sand in them. and my future mother-in-law smokes like a fiend so they reek of tobacco.

i rinsed them in boiling water, but i can't get some of the sand out, and they still smell. how do i clean them and get rid of the odor? my mom said to put them in the dishwasher, but she knows nothing about snorkeling (neither do i) and i don't want to ruin them.

i can go to the dive shop if needed but my cruise is in a couple days so i'm on time crunch.

Try washing with cold water and baking soda...

Fill with solution, shake vigorously, and pour out.

Repeat as necessary.

Hot water can lend towards deterioration, and caustic solutions can cause breakdown of the plastic/silicone.

Or you might want to use some minty fresh Listerine as a rinse???

Ditto - Cold water and baking soda. Get a plastic bucket and let them soak to loosen the sand

my future in-laws gave us snorkels and maks to use on our upcoming cruise.

but apparently they'd been sitting in a duffel bag in the attic since their last vacation...they still have sand in them. and my future mother-in-law smokes like a fiend so they reek of tobacco.

i rinsed them in boiling water, but i can't get some of the sand out, and they still smell. how do i clean them and get rid of the odor? my mom said to put them in the dishwasher, but she knows nothing about snorkeling (neither do i) and i don't want to ruin them.

i can go to the dive shop if needed but my cruise is in a couple days so i'm on time crunch.

All else fails, try toothpaste on the mouthpiece. It cleans, tastes great and best of all besides no cavities it will hide any other taste on the mouthpiece. If the snorkel is silicone, my guess is the dishwasher won't hurt it.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I'd try cleaning them in a warm water/white vinegar solution first. Vinegar is a mild acid that cleans well (think coffee stains and build up in a coffee maker). After soaking for awhile then water/baking soda to neutralize the vinegar and then toothpaste the mouth piece for that fresh minty flavor. Place the snorkels out of direct sunlight and let air dry. Should do the trick.

Randall

Archived