MS Island Sky

mikey47

Can't fill you in on much about the ship but I really do want to make a cruise on it. It is not operated by Noble Caledonia but leased and also by different cruise/tour companies including Zegrahm. The managing company but not the owner is ISP which does the same with many ships. The positive feedback I have on it is that I have done quite a few small ship expedition cruises and one of the expedition leaders who had worked on Island Sky said she is a gorgeous ship.

• 3 weeks later...

She is a terrific ship. We did a trip on her, through Noble Caledonia a year ago (Southern India) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Excursions are terrific -- food is not so great, but not bad. Most cabins fine. If you want specific and detailed info, let me know your email address and we can correspond.

BTW we have another NC trip booked -- they are an excellent company we think.

• 8 months later...

This is a bit late for a reply to this post, though perhaps my experience on the Island Sky might assist some potential passengers. My wife and I were aboard the Island Sky for Christmas 2007 and New Year 2008, sailing from Mahe Seychelles, via wonderful Aldabra and not so wonderful Mayotte to Zanzibar and Dar-Es-Salaam. We had paid for Cabin No.331 but when we went aboard, considerably ahead of most other passengers, we realised it was smaller than others in its category. We complained since Noble Caledonia had insisted that all cabins were identical in their categories. Our complaint was taken seriously by the on-board hotel manager and we were upgraded to Cabin 601, the top level of accommodation which was a virtual suite with a private balcony. We considered ourselves extremely fortunate as this cabin was magnificent - the balcony became our home for most of the cruise. More generally, the ship is superb - small enough to get to know most other passengers. Everyone aboard was seriously interested in where the ship was going, all had been to places like Antarctica or up the Mekong, and all were enthusiastic bird-watchers and/or botanists. The ship is casual, so no ties or dressy wear, thank God, and no fixed seating. And no entertainment, apart from a doodling pianist and some witty repartee from our cruise director at the nightly briefings. Food was perhaps a little on the bland side but varied, healthy and service was excellent. Wine was about $25 a bottle. You could dine in or out depending on the weather. Shore excursions were well organized - the zodiacs were marvelous - and the ship's expedition team always had time to identify what it was you were looking at. We have never sailed on a big cruise ship, and have no intention of doing so, because the idea of a small, 100-passenger voyage to remote islands like Aldabra was always our ideal and the Island Sky realised it for us pretty much perfectly. So much in fact we've booked up the Orion next February and plan on Clipper Odyssey next Fall.

The Orion looks like a wonderful ship. I just met some people who had been on it and loved their cruise. You will be going on a favorite of mine - the Odyssey. I have done 6 cruises on the Odyssey and when I get aboard I feel like she is a second home. I was to do Tahiti to Easter Island next fall but got a fantastic price on the Prince Albert 11. Even though it is a Silversea ship I was promised it is as casual as the Odyssey. Sounds like Noble Caledonia was super nice to you - good for them. I just had the opposite happen to me on a Tauck river cruise in Europe.

Thanks Fletcher for the review.

We go from Dar Es Salaam to Mauritius in feb 09.

What was the weather like for you? Did you have any cyclones or hear of any? It is the rainy season isn't it?

You did very well to get 601! We've booked 508 for its' balcony.

I am still a bit dithery over the Fall trip - Prince Albert II has the better route in m view, taking in the Marquesas on its way from Easter Island to Tahiti, but the Clipper Odyssey has the advantage of staying three nights on Easter Island. For me, the main gaol is Pitcairn - the one place left in the world that I must see before dying - so it might just come down to a matter of total cost, flight arrangements etc. I must say I have an instinctive suspicion of Silversea without ever having sailed with them - all those full-size baths, hot and cold running butlers, champagne etc, isn't quite right on this sort of voyage, in my view. That's why I liked the Island Sky so much and expect the same from Orion.

But you will get to go to Rangiroa on the Odyssey. If you are a snorkeler or diver that is an experience you will never forget providing you get to "shoot the pass". I'm not the least bit interested in luxury either but if it is there I think I can put up with it for the difference in price. Hopefully it is true one doesn't have to "dress up" every night. :)

Dear mikey47 - Your cabin will be terrific, perfect for those balmy evenings and for that early morning cup of tea or coffee which I used to fetch around 6am for the sunrise. Like us, you are travelling in the wet season. We had hardly a drop of rain on the entire trip. Hope that's the same for you.

And Dear Louise 22, We went to Rangiroa many years ago, on a non-cruise trip to French Polynesia. We stayed at the Kia Ora, a dump we thought, the beach had been trashed by a cyclone and it rained all day every day for five days! But there are other Tuamotus the ship visits and we'll be happy with what they are offering. One flat coral atoll is pretty much like another.

Archived