Help with Grand Cayman dive operator

reddi

DW, DS (age 13) and I will be sailing on Costa to Grand Cayman in late March. DS was certified last year and has 5 open water dives (3 GC shore dives and 2 boat dives in Roatan). I have looked at some of the recommendations on this board and found that, for instance, Neptunes, does a two tank morning dive trip with the first dive at 100 ft. and the second a shallow dive. I don't think DS is supposed to be doing 100 ft. dives at his age and I wouldn't be comfortable having him dive to that depth. Can anyone give a recommendation for an operator that takes a small group (6-8), where we might be able to do 2 60-65 ft. dives?

Thanks for your advice!

If you contact Casey at Neptune's Divers, I'm sure she will be able to accommodate your son's depth needs. Just because their website says the first dive will be to a max of 100 ft. doesn't mean that it has to for your son.

If not, then the next best choice is some more shore dives in Grand Cayman. Sunset House or http://www.divetech.com would be my choices.

Thanks for the suggestions Bruce. I took a look at the divetech website and it the the guided dives on the miniwall look interesting. Have you been to the Cobalt Coast? Can you give me any details on distance from the tender sites, how to get there, etc.? Thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestions Bruce. I took a look at the divetech website and it the the guided dives on the miniwall look interesting. Have you been to the Cobalt Coast? Can you give me any details on distance from the tender sites, how to get there, etc.? Thanks again.

No, I haven't been there, so I can't give you a distance. I'd take a taxi to get there.

If you contact Casey at Neptune's Divers, I'm sure she will be able to accommodate your son's depth needs. Just because their website says the first dive will be to a max of 100 ft. doesn't mean that it has to for your son.

If not, then the next best choice is some more shore dives in Grand Cayman. Sunset House or www.divetech.com would be my choices.

Hi, I agree with Bruce. I've gone to GC several times and on the last dive trip there the captain started out by saying we were going to do a 100ft. wall. I do underwater photography while diving so I wanted shallower (no blue on blue pictures) and the other's on the boat agreed they wanted it shallower and the captain smiled and took us to two dive sites at 65ft. and 40ft. So don't be shy to speak up if you get on a dive boat and don't feel comfortable with the dive profiles. These people know the reefs and can find any number of sites to make everyone on the boat comfortable with their dives.

Randall

Archived