Private tours? Any good ones?

cruzobsessed

this was quite possibly the best excursion we've ever done. prior to this....the SILVERMOON in barbados was. so now you know how high the bar was set:D

we were asked to meet the rep outside the port by 8:45. we were "supposed" to leave at 9. we couldn't because we were waiting for other people. please... as a courtesy try to get to any excursion on time.

we drove a short distance to a boat that was in great shape and there were 17 of us. the boat never felt crowded. we 1st went for a snorkel over a reef and waited for the crowds at singray city to get a bit smaller.

swimming with the rays......what can i say......we were at 1st squeemish and freaked out but after awhile... i was feeding them....holding them....kissing them.

then we got back on the boat...were handed a menu and we ordered lunch. we drove a few minutes to rum point......oh my g_d. this is on my list of top beaches. it was not crowded in the least....we ate our lunches (delicious) and then found a very secluded spot and just vegged. got back on the boat and got back to the port with plenty of time.

sharon and her husband eldon run this operation and it is 1st class. if i am ever in the caymans again.....i would do this in a heartbeat.

oh and the best part......when you make reservations they hold the spot with your credit card. i had made these reservations awhile ago so i forgot how much it cost. we went prepared to pay $100 pp........ iit was ONLY $60 pp:D sweet.........

Great to hear good things about Nativeways as we're booking with them for FEb excursion to Stingray City and reef. Can you tell me how long it took to get from their boat dock out to STingray Sandbar and if the seas were rough or calm? My son has a tendency for motion sickness and wondering if he'll be able to stomach the boat trip? Also, since we tender at that port, how much time do you leave to get off the boat with all the others, tender and then walk to the meeting location? Thanks

we were on rc brilliance. literally you get out of your tender....walk less than 5 minutes and there is eldon holding a very visable sign.

nativeway has other excursions. once you meet with him...they divide you up by tour.

as for the seasickness.....my 16 year old and i are always seasick so as a matter of course we start taking dramamine the night before we get on a cruise and no problems.

the water was a bit choppy and they do travel at a pretty quick pace...my guess is that it took no more than 1/2 hour to get to the snorkel spot and sting ray city is close by.

enjoy...it was one of the highlights of our total cruising experience.

This may be a dumb question, but the lunches that you ordered at Rum Point...were they included in the tour price or did you have to bring extra money for that?

Just trying to figure it all out before we head out there in April!!!!!

Trying to see if we want the Rays and Rum point or just the Rays......

Lunch is included, I requested the menu and Sharon was nice enough to send it to me. Looking forward to our excursion on 1/24! Thanks for the great review.

Rum Point Wreck Bar & Grill

Spicy Red Conch Chowder

Seasonal Fruit Cup topped with yogurt

Conch Fritters with Scotch Bonnet tartar sauce

Tortilla Chips with sour cream & salsa

Caesar Salad with chicken breast or fish

Rum Point Salad ham, turkey, swiss, crispy bacon & ranch dressing

Spicy Mahi-Mahi Caesar Wrap

Rum Point Chicken Wings sweet chili garlic or buffalo style

Chicken Club Sandwich

Blackened Mahi-Mahi Sandwich with mango mayonnaise

Cheeseburger or Jerk CheeseBurger w/lettuce, tomato, onion

Veggie Burger with swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato & onion

Jumbo Hotdog add jalapenos cheddar & onion

Jerk Pork Sandwich with Rum Point jerk mayo

Original Fish & Chips with Rum Point tartar sauce

Crispy Chicken Tenders with BBQ or honey mustard sauce

Grilled Chicken Sandwich provolone cheese, pesto, tomato, lettuce, & onion on Boboli bread with a side of lemon aioli

Today’s Catch with rice & beans and corn on the cob

Traditional Style Jerk Pork w/ rice & beans & corn on cob

All Served With Your Choice of Fries or House Salad

MMMMMM.....

We used them last week and they were WONDERFUL. there only ended up being a group of 10 of us maybe. The stingrays were fun, the snorkeling was ok. Rum point is beautiful and the food was great. We had the jerk traditional pork and the grilled chicken sandwhich, both were delicious. This is a really professional operation and their guys on the boat are hilarious and a lot of fun. you save so much money using these guys and the day is spent to its fullest, and you will be on time for your ship.

We took this tour on Dec. 20th and overall we really liked it. The stingrays were indeed amazing, and the lunch was great and the price was well worth it. The only thing that bummed me out a bit was the snorkeling. This isn't the touring co.'s fault, I was just expecting more colorful fish. Someone had posted some awesome pic's from a previous excursion with Nativeway, and what we saw wasn't even close. I love snorkeling, and was hoping for the best experience so far, but it wasn't any beter than what we saw in Nassau.

Thanks for the review! I am such a worry wort that I had almost made up my mind to use a ship excursion because I don't want to miss the ship but I think I've changed my mind. I'm going to talk to hubby tonight and I'm sure we will be booking these guys for our first cruise in Feb.:)

We did this tour in 05 and are going to do it again this summer. We did let our guides know what time we needed to be back and they made sure we left Rum Point on time. I think we caught the next to last tender. On the way back to the pier, traffic was heavy and the van driver dropped people off at a hotel before dropping us off at the pier. Needless to say, we were freaking out a bit that we wouldn't make it. I must say that Rum Point is one of my favorite places I've ever been to. It was an awesome tour.

My DH and I went to GC about 2 years ago and did a snorkeling excursion with the ship and we were not impressed with the island at all....

I am hoping that taking this tour with Nativeway will show us what this island really has to offer and our perception will change.

The food at Rum Point sounds yummy!

Thank you for the review!!!!:D

rachel...i had the exact same story. we went to the caymans on our 2nd cruise and ran with the herd to 7 mile beach.

i am so glad that we took this tour because grand cayman is a beautiful place and nativeway is such a class act.

Hi Cheryl!!!! Sounds like you are doing wonderful. Looks like you are giving some great info here. We are planning our next cruise...the Mariner in August. I've done sting ray city before, but Jim (I am married now) has not. So...you recommend the trip with Rum Point....was it white sand and quiet? We were considering the other with coral garden, starfish and then being dropped off at 7 Mile Beach. It sounds like this is a much better choice am I right?

Take care! Karen

KAREN!!!!! how are you???? how's lindsay? was jim the guy you were dating way back when? in any event congratulations.

as you can see from my signature i am still cruising rc and cheryl (from england) is still joining us. we have become best friends over the years and it's amazing.

as for this excursion...... really class act all the way. ranks up there with the silvermoon which used to be our favorite:D

the beach at rum point is something out of a CORONA BEER COMMERCIAL. really beautiful. white powdery sand.....chrystal clear water...... we were shocked (in a good way) when it was time to pay because we were ready to pay double.

so glad to hear from you.......please let me know how your life is going:)

Where do you store your valuables (camera, wallets, etc) while snorkelling and swimming with the sting rays and how safe are they? (the valuables ... not the sting rays :)

We're doing this tour a week from today and looking forward to it!!

Thanks

KAREN!!!!! how are you???? how's lindsay? was jim the guy you were dating way back when? in any event congratulations.

as you can see from my signature i am still cruising rc and cheryl (from england) is still joining us. we have become best friends over the years and it's amazing.

as for this excursion...... really class act all the way. ranks up there with the silvermoon which used to be our favorite:D

the beach at rum point is something out of a CORONA BEER COMMERCIAL. really beautiful. white powdery sand.....chrystal clear water...... we were shocked (in a good way) when it was time to pay because we were ready to pay double.

so glad to hear from you.......please let me know how your life is going:)

Cheryl....it's like finding a long lost friend!!! Sorry to everyone else...it's catch up time. We are fine. Yes, Jim is who I had started dating just before the Christmas trip...would have never dreamed of being married again, nor anything so soon. Lindsay graduated college in May...travel/tourism, minors in criminal justice and psychology. She lives just outside of Indy (not real far from home) and works at the Omni Hotel downtown Indy. She isn't sure if she will stay in the hotel industry, but it is good for now. What about all of you? Tell everyone hello! Feel free to email me at kml5387...hotmail.

Do you have any pics of Rum Point? I would love to see some. I knew you loved the Silvermoon, so when I saw you compare this I had to know more. We (Lindsay and I) did the sting rays before through RCI and don't want to do it again that way. We want a smaller group and time to hit a beach also.

hi pals, thanks for the 411 on nativeway tours. anyone have a website, need input..how long is the tour, what time did you get back to be tendered..sorry, my shift keys r not working all of a sudden, will be on a mission tomorrow..this sounds great, photos r wonderful. thanks..cindy. ps, facilities at rum point..

hi beachgal.........their email address is nativway@candyw.ky

the company is owned and operated by sharen and eldon eubanks. they are total professionals and will do anything to make your experience the best.:)

another thing i wanted to say was......even if your cruise is next week......sen them an email...don't assume that they'll be booked. there was a couple on the boat with us who literally booked days before.

their website is www.nativewaysports.com . the excursion i took was RAYS REEF AND RUM POINT. cannot recommend it enough

I would really like to do this tour as well! Rum point sounds wonderful. But I am concerned about the time getting back as well. We have to be back on board ship by 3:30 pm. Since we have to catch a tender, is there enough time?

For those who went on this tour, what time did you get back on board?

Thank you!

We were on the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour on Dec. 20, '07.

Like I said in an earlier post, we loved everything, but hoped there would have been more fish to see in the snorkel portion.

Navtiveway knows about everyone's HUGE concern with making the ship. There business would be sunk :rolleyes: if they ever missed making a tender because I am sure a large majority of their business comes from here. We made it in plenty of time.

Here are some of my pic's from the stingray portion and from Rum Point:

24250017.jpg

This is a NativeWay employee showing us the mouth of the stingray.

24250007.jpg

I took this with my underwater disposable camera

24250004.jpg

The top sign says Rum Point

24250003.jpg

My three favorite guys in the water at Rum Point

Hope that gives you a better idea of what to expect!

Archived