DenRus tours in St. Petersburg

Has anyone used this tour company? Would you recommend it? We are going on the Norwegian Jewel this summer and would like a more personalized tour of St. Petersburg. Is the Folk dancing night worth it? Do you buy the guide and driver lunch? What about a tip?

Acworth Cruiser

We did use DenRus for our 2 day private tour last year. They were great and very professional. Only wish we had used them for our last half day in St. P instead of the ship's private car.. We did get lunch for both the driver and guide and also tipped them well - they deserved it!! If I were to go back to St. P. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

It is always helpful to hear from someone that has experience with a company. I believe getting a first hand account. Any recommendations as to what they did the best?

We (7 of us) in a van were extremely pleased on how they treated us. Our driver was great (didn't speak much English), but a good driver and very punctual. Our guide, Olga, kept us moving and was always talking and explaining things to us. We were not bored. Our guide performed magic by taking us to the front of the lines at the Hermitage, Peteroff and Catherines Palace. So we were able to see so much more. She even squeezed in other "sights" which were not listed on our itinerary. I would use this company again.

Have a great cruise.

So I'm a native New Yorker but I lived for 2 years in St Petersburg, Russia. In 2005 I had the opportunity to take my family of 5 back for a 2 day port visit of St Petersburg. Den Rus: http://www.denrus.ru/

Tour Cost was $ 331 USD per person (Day One $168 + $20 Hydr (incl.

guide's ticket cost) + $143) and it was a Mini-Van for 6.

The fee includes all tickets and fees and I paid by credit card. Shortly after you pay them, you'll receive in the mail the tickets you'll need for immigration.

DenRus met us with a sign after we cleared immigration. You will need to bring your passport but you don't need to acquire a separate visa, (Acquiring a visa on your own will cost you about 60% of the excursion price, which is why I went with Den Rus as the price includes the necessart immigration documentation you will need).

There will be several companies there and they will have your name on a list. You just need to find the corresponding company sign. Yes they will speak English too.

What I highly suggest doing is taking the hydrofoil back to the city from Peterhof or you'll be sitting in traffic, (No one knows about doing this and no one did this but me and it worked perfectly). This was the smartest thing I planned.

Pros: We saw a lot. I even got to drive by and see my old office and apartment in St Petersburg. No waiting for anything or anyone as we were a group of 6 and I knew my way around.

Cons: The guide assigned to us was kind of rude to me, (as I believe she thought I was a guide from the ship and assigned to this group of 5) after she heard me speaking Russian and pointing things out along the way, but after she figured out that I'm actually not a guide but related to the group and the guy who paid for the tour, well she figured out what not to say after that, and I did screw her a bit on the tip and her review form that the company requires to fill out at the end of the tour ;-). 2 days is also not really enough time to see this city. Heck 2 years really wasn't enough time to see the city.

FYI: You will need to purchase a video pass for each palace if you plan on taking video, or a photo pass if you plan on taking photos. Each person must have their own pass.

If you speak Russian, don't speak Russian while going through immigration else they will start to ask you all kinds of questions about your trip. Just speak English.

Also remember this is a big city. When I lived there I stopped more then 3 attempted robberies over a 2 year period (2 or 3 did get by me), however 3 friends of mine ended up in the hospital from separate violent altercations with the locals.

Gypsies = Pick Pockets (non-violent but annoying)

When I visited with my family, people seemed to know not to mess with the cruise tourists, well it was also day light out too and we were going to touristy places. The only place visited that's uncontrolled would be Nevesky Prospect in my opinion.

Itinerary

7 – 8 August, 2005

6 pax. Star Princess mini-van

7 August, Sunday

As soon as the ship is cleared - The city orientation drive (city highlights) starts.

0830 drive South-West of St Petersburg to visit one of summer residences of Russian Tsars in Peterhof – the Russian Versailles.

0930-1020 a guided tour round the Grand Palace of Peterhof (Specially arranged Early Opening to avoid crowds).

1020-1120 walk round the world famous fountain park to hear interesting stories of the fountains and enjoy them playing

1130-1200 hydrofoil ride to the Hermitage pier

1200-1230 lunch time (Hermitage Café)

1230-1450 touring of the Hermitage best collections

1500-1550 touring of the Peter and Paul Fortress

1550-1600 touring of the Peter’s Log Cabin

1600-1620 touring of the Cruiser Aurora

1620-1700 Metro ride (from Ploschad Lenina to Ploschad Vosstania)

1700-1730 drive back to the ship

Abt. 1730 – return to the ship

8 August, Monday

0830 departure from the port

0830-0930 drive 30 km south of St Petersburg to another summer

residence – Catherine Palace at Pushkin

0930-1000 walk through the marvelous park to the car, shopping with street vendours.

1000-1050 guided tour of the Catherine Palace at Pushkin

1100-1215 drive to the city

1215-1240 visiting Kuznechny Food Market (Closed on Monday's)

1250-1350 lunch time (There are a several places check out:

http://www.sptimes.ru/ and then the dining guide) read the reviews. Some places might be tourist traps, some others made for the newly rich, very few are for the locals. It is after all an English language paper for the Expats living in St Petersburg.

1415-1445 inside visit to Spilled Blood Cathedral.

1450-1545 walking tour of the city centre

1600-1635 tour of St Isaac’s Cathedral

Abt. 1700 return to the ship

Hope this helps, Let me know if you have any questions.

- CWipes

Cwipes!

Thank you for the very useful info. If we have to make a choice, would you recommend we visit the Grand Palace at Peterhof or Catherine's Palace?

kestrel1

Well Peterhof is in the West, and Catherine's Palace is in the suburb Pushkin to the south.

Photo attachment 1 is on the grounds of Peterhof, and Photo attachment 2 is on the grounds of Catherine's Palace.

Peterhof is easier to walk around but harder to go to and from if you don't take the hydrofoil which departs and arrives from the Hermitage. You can also see the spectacular fountains around the grounds. They're state of the art for the 18th century.

Catherine's place can have really long lines to get in to, and if you're going in a group of more then 6 you could be standing in line for quite a while as you move from room to room behind a large group. Catherine's palace is located south of the airport (Pulkovo).

I myself would rather see Peterhof then Catherine's palace if I only had a choice of 1. But I've been to both a few times.

Hope that answers your question.

- CWipes

peterhof.jpg.05419205cb3526d67b360ee7b95533ed.jpg

catherines.jpg.ab0f67f8a33096d0a9c241ae172d09d3.jpg

Cwipes!

Thank you for the very useful info. If we have to make a choice, would you recommend we visit the Grand Palace at Peterhof or Catherine's Palace?

kestrel1

Both palaces are really worth-visiting!!!! But, If you have to make a choice between 2 suburbs, I recommend you to choose visit to the Peterhof. After visiting palace you will enjoy the most popular treasure of this suburb - the Lower Park with it's fountains. :rolleyes:

The ideal way - inside visit to the Catherine's Palace and visit to the Lower Park in the Peterhof. :p

Enjoy your tour!:p

Thanks all!

A few more questions:

CWipes: Was 1/2 hr enough time for lunch at the Hermitage cafe? how was it? Should we request lunch with a Russian Family?

Also, we think we'd like a canal cruise, since St Pete is considered the Venice of the North; where/when should we fit it in?

Thanks,

Kesterl1

Thanks all!

Also, we think we'd like a canal cruise, since St Pete is considered the Venice of the North; where/when should we fit it in?

Thanks,

Kesterl1

Canal Cruise is really exciting, especially in sunny weather. People usually say:"if you wish to see the real beauty of St Petersburg - watch on it from water". As for time, the travel company you choose will advise you the most convinient time. It will depend on your itinerary. Also they usually make a groups for this trip only to give you the best price. Private boat for groups under 10 people are more expensive.

Thanks all!

A few more questions:

CWipes: Was 1/2 hr enough time for lunch at the Hermitage cafe? how was it? Should we request lunch with a Russian Family?

Thanks,

Kesterl1

The Cafe in the Hermitage, it's just right around the corner from where you hand in your ticket to go inside the Hermitage. It's a busy cafe where you can get a sub, hot dog, chips and a beverage. When I was a student I had a Russian student identification so I was able to enter the hermitage for about $0.05 USD. I use to go there when I was hungry cause I knew I wouldn't get sick and it was reasonably priced (this was before Mc Donalds opened up in the city). In the last case I was more concerned about time and having my group see as much of the hermitage as possible so just a light lunch.

To this day, if you look at the ticket prices for the hermitage or actually any of the palaces or museums, it seems if you can only read English you'll be paying the foreigner prices, but if you can read and ask in Russian the prices are significantly discounted.

For example in the Attachment

the one in English says 300

The one is Russian says for: Russian students 30

Hope this information helps,

- CWipes

prices.jpg.4deae97e2c1c79cba7f6e0e0f0f78ede.jpg

Just FYI

In that attachment, the pricing for museums is not totally crazy, for foreigners (in English & Russian) is 300, while the price for Russians (in russian) is 200.

Yes Russian Students is the cheapest @ 30.

God those were the days...

- CWipes

Well Peterhof is in the West, and Catherine's Palace is in the suburb Pushkin to the south.

Photo attachment 1 is on the grounds of Peterhof, and Photo attachment 2 is on the grounds of Catherine's Palace.

Peterhof is easier to walk around but harder to go to and from if you don't take the hydrofoil which departs and arrives from the Hermitage. You can also see the spectacular fountains around the grounds. They're state of the art for the 18th century.

Catherine's place can have really long lines to get in to, and if you're going in a group of more then 6 you could be standing in line for quite a while as you move from room to room behind a large group. Catherine's palace is located south of the airport (Pulkovo).

I myself would rather see Peterhof then Catherine's palace if I only had a choice of 1. But I've been to both a few times.

Hope that answers your question.

- CWipes

Can you take the hydrofoil (after the private tour) to get back to the cruise ship without a visa on you? I guess I'm confused. Does one seperate from the tour to go it alone back to the ship using the hydrofoil? Also, can you recommend any attractions that my teenage boys (age 14 and 17) will more particularly enjoy seeing? Thanks, Sachi-san

Can you take the hydrofoil (after the private tour) to get back to the cruise ship without a visa on you? I guess I'm confused. Does one seperate from the tour to go it alone back to the ship using the hydrofoil? Also, can you recommend any attractions that my teenage boys (age 14 and 17) will more particularly enjoy seeing? Thanks, Sachi-san

Yes, you are confused.

1st, you need either a valid visa or have signed up for a ship tour or booked a tour with a licensed tour company in order to be able to leave the cruise ship.

2nd, the hydrofoil departs from the hermitage pier and goes to Peterhof. From Peterhof the hydrofoil departs and goes to the hermitage pier. Cost is around $5 per person and tickets are usually purchased ahead of time by the tour operator. Those are really the only 2 stops. I myself specifically requested in my itinerary that we take the mini-van to get to Peterhof and then let the driver drive back to the city while we would tour Peterhof, and then take the hydrofoil back. This was to avoid sitting in traffic. The driver then picked us up after we finished our tour of the hermitage.

If you have an extra $5,000 USD (an estimate in bribe cash, the crew may do it for as little as $1,000 but you will need cash, no credit cards or checks), I'm sure you could get the hydrofoil crew to bring you anywhere you wanted them to go.

3rd, Attractions for boys 14 & 17. I would take them to the cruiser Aurora. It fired the shot that signaled the start of the October revolution back in 1917. It's on the north side of the Neva and a short distance away from the St Petersburg Hotel (It's the hotel with the large Baltika ad on it), and about 5 minutes away from the Peter & Paul fortress. Then I would take them to the Peter & Paul fortress. They can run along the roof of the wall on the south side of the fortress. There is a "light house" on the fortress. It's pretty dangerous to go inside, and inside there is jagged metal which is razor sharp, and it's dark inside. The lighthouse is not really a tourist attraction. I mean the windows and doors are boarded up, but kids usually break it open and go inside it. I've been inside. It's somewhat safe to go in to as long as you don't fall or cut yourself. If you do then you've got a problem.

The Peter & Paul fortress itself has a great deal of history to it. It was the 2nd structure built in 1703 (the first structure being Peter's house which is also a museum in between the Aurora and the Fortress), and besides being a fortress, it was also a prison and a mint. The church in the fortress also contains the remains of the Romanov family, (the last ruling czar for imperial Russia). They shoot off a round from the cannon at noon. Tours of the fortress are available and I'd suggest doing them, but it really depends on their attention span. The tour takes about an hour. On the north side, just across the street from the fortress is the Armory museum.

Hope this is the information you were looking for,

- CWipes

• 3 weeks later...
We had Victoria from SPB-Tours as our guide in St. Petersburg. She was very knowledgeable, punctual and speaks fluent English. We were very pleased.

Boopsie,

We are taking the Regatta Baltic cruise next summer. I am thinking of taking Viktoria's Berlin tour and would like your specific feedback. How did you get to Berlin from the ship? Also I would love some overall feedback on the cruise overall, timing in ports, etc. Is it possible to get your email? My email is jvb1128@yahoo.com Thanks.

Joan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We used Denrus two years ago (4 of us) and still talk about how wonderful they made our trip. When we left Russia we had spoken with several people who had taken the ships tours and not seen a small part of what we had seen in two days! And for less money! Catherine Palace was great, Peterhof was the best! We planned our itinerary and added some shopping as well. Our driver spoke no English, our guide Nadya was terrific! We bought them lunch and gave them a large tip at the end of the two days. I highly recommend Denrus.

Archived