For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

I'm trying to decide if I should rent a tuxedo for my DH on our upcoming AOS cruise. Always have before, but have been on two week cruises, which I think are more formal. For those that have been on AOS would you say more men wear them or not?

Thanks

I'm trying to decide if I should rent a tuxedo for my DH on our upcoming AOS cruise. Always have before, but have been on two week cruises, which I think are more formal. For those that have been on AOS would you say more men wear them or not?

Thanks

I don't remember seeing too many men in tuxes- the greater majority where wearing suits. It seemed to me to be much more casual than other ships we have been on.

Night 1- casual

Night 2- Formal

Night 3- Casual

Night 4- Casual

Night 5- Formal

Night 6- Smart casual

Night 7- Casual

Hi Robyn, I was on your 1/06 sailing. DH decided he wanted a 38 foot motor home this year so no cruise for him:( , but as it is my Mom's 75th Birthday she and I will be leaving November 9th on Adventure;) . Adventure was the best cruise I've ever sailed and even though we sailed Explorer last year and it's the same class of ship we truely loved Adventure more. DH is really going to be miserable this November as I leave him home to watch Miss Mandy!:D

Hi Robyn, I was on your 1/06 sailing. DH decided he wanted a 38 foot motor home this year so no cruise for him:( , but as it is my Mom's 75th Birthday she and I will be leaving November 9th on Adventure;) . Adventure was the best cruise I've ever sailed and even though we sailed Explorer last year and it's the same class of ship we truely loved Adventure more. DH is really going to be miserable this November as I leave him home to watch Miss Mandy!:D

Hi there! I certainly remember you :) Never mind about the DH - you will have a fabulous time on the AOS!!!!!! I am sailing her again in February and can't wait!!!

Hey, only 554 days until my AOS cruise.....ugh. :( :rolleyes:

I guess saying "I can't wait" would be a bad thing this far out.

Kitey - rule # 1 on Cruise Critic, it is never too early to say you can't wait for a cruise!!!! :p

You picked a fantastic ship well worth waiting for!!!!

Wow, this is such an incredible thread!!

Portofino question: DH is a huge steak fan. I thought Portofino was primarily italian food which wouldn't interest him, but I'm reading other menu options. Does anyone have a link to the menu or can anyone tell me menu selections? We're definitely on count-down mode for our cruise and now I'm thinking I might surprise him (and the other couple we're traveling with) with an evening at Portofino.

Thanks very much to all our AOS experts!!!

Thanks

Renee,

You will see a mix of Tuxedo's, Suits, Slacks & Shirts (with and w/o jacket), etc. If it is important to you (for pictures or whatever) then do it. Either way you will not feel out of place. Looking forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks.

Wow, this is such an incredible thread!!

Portofino question: DH is a huge steak fan. I thought Portofino was primarily italian food which wouldn't interest him, but I'm reading other menu options. Does anyone have a link to the menu or can anyone tell me menu selections? We're definitely on count-down mode for our cruise and now I'm thinking I might surprise him (and the other couple we're traveling with) with an evening at Portofino.

Thanks very much to all our AOS experts!!!

Portofino's has a steak that is even better than the steak that you get in Chops! So your husband will have an option there that he will enjoy. My husband is the same way.

As you can see from my ticker we are leaving a week from today! OMG I can't wait! We are staying in a Grand Suite. I was under the impression that the consierge emails you a few weeks out. We haven't heard anything yet. We want to see about better Portifino reservations and of course ice show tickets:)

As I've just spent an entire rainy Sunday afternoon here reading through this rather lengthy cc thread ... my local radio station poses the following trivia/quiz question ...

"What does the average person spend 4 hours a year doing?"

The answer was ... planning their vacation ...

Made me laugh ... I must have cruise fever or something ... I've just spent that many hours in one day!

mj

:)

Thanks

DH rented a tux on our trip a couple of weeks ago. He wondered if he would be the only one, but when we went to the CL before dinner, every man in there had on a tux, so he felt better. He usually takes a suit, but with the luggage restrictions.... takes up too much room.

Sorry for the newbie questions, but we've never sailed RCC before.

Can you make spa appointments in advance or only when you are on the ship?

Can you make reservations for Portofinos and or Chops in advance or only on the ship?

Do the kids wear wristbands for their clubs or???

Thanks!!!

As you can see from my ticker we are leaving a week from today! OMG I can't wait! We are staying in a Grand Suite. I was under the impression that the consierge emails you a few weeks out. We haven't heard anything yet. We want to see about better Portifino reservations and of course ice show tickets:)

You should be receiving an email from the Concierge who is DeDe from Turkey. You will love her - she is amazing :D Tell her Robyn says hi! I would think that email should arrive in your inbox within the next day or so. Have a wonderful cruise!!!!

Sorry for the newbie questions, but we've never sailed RCC before.

Can you make spa appointments in advance or only when you are on the ship?

Can you make reservations for Portofinos and or Chops in advance or only on the ship?

Do the kids wear wristbands for their clubs or???

Thanks!!!

Welcome to RCI and the best ship in the fleet , IMHO ;)

No you cannot make spa appointments before you board - so I would make that top of list when you get on the ship.

You can now make advance reservations at both specialty restaurants through the RCI website as long as you have a "my cruises" account set up.

All kids 12 and under will receive a wristband upon boarding. These wristbands are for the YEP (youth evacuation program) it wil list their muster station so if there is ever an emergency they will be brough to their muster station to meet their parents. Kids have to sign up for Adventure Ocean and do not need a wristband for that program.

Welcome to RCI and the best ship in the fleet , IMHO ;)

No you cannot make spa appointments before you board - so I would make that top of list when you get on the ship.

You can now make advance reservations at both specialty restaurants through the RCI website as long as you have a "my cruises" account set up.

All kids 12 and under will receive a wristband upon boarding. These wristbands are for the YEP (youth evacuation program) it wil list their muster station so if there is ever an emergency they will be brough to their muster station to meet their parents. Kids have to sign up for Adventure Ocean and do not need a wristband for that program.

Thanks - a few more questions...

How far in advance can you make reservations for the specialty restaurants?

I understand that there are only a few nights when the Adventure Ocean is open for dinner - where can you find that out?

How do the ID kids and or parents going in and out of the Adventure Ocean?

Thanks again!

Thanks - a few more questions...

How far in advance can you make reservations for the specialty restaurants?

I understand that there are only a few nights when the Adventure Ocean is open for dinner - where can you find that out?

How do the ID kids and or parents going in and out of the Adventure Ocean?

Thanks again!

I'm not 100% sure how far out you can make reservations for the specialty restaurants - but I am on the Mariner in 62 days and I believe it opened up around the 90 days out mark. Keep checking your my cruises and it should open up for you.

Adventure Ocean takes the kids to Johnny Rockets I think twice during the cruise. I am not sure which nights they are, check with the staff when you register your kids for the program. You will need to sign them up separately for the Johnny Rockets dinner.

Kids have to be brought to Adventure Ocean and signed in. As a parent, you can decide whether you will allow your kids to sign themselves out, or if they can only be signed out by you or someone else you designate. For us, we do not allow our daughter to sign herself out - we bring walkie talkies with us and she buzzes us if she wants to come out and we go and get her. There is no worse fear than not knowing where your kids are - especially on a ship with 2500 passengers!!!!:eek:

I'm not 100% sure how far out you can make reservations for the specialty restaurants - but I am on the Mariner in 62 days and I believe it opened up around the 90 days out mark. Keep checking your my cruises and it should open up for you.

Adventure Ocean takes the kids to Johnny Rockets I think twice during the cruise. I am not sure which nights they are, check with the staff when you register your kids for the program. You will need to sign them up separately for the Johnny Rockets dinner.

Kids have to be brought to Adventure Ocean and signed in. As a parent, you can decide whether you will allow your kids to sign themselves out, or if they can only be signed out by you or someone else you designate. For us, we do not allow our daughter to sign herself out - we bring walkie talkies with us and she buzzes us if she wants to come out and we go and get her. There is no worse fear than not knowing where your kids are - especially on a ship with 2500 passengers!!!!:eek:

Thank you for the info! I agree - no roaming on the ship for my kids either. When we've sailed other lines, my daughter is always amazed at how young the kids that are without parents. Although this past summer we sailed Disney and she found out that since she was now 8 she could sign herself out of the Club (with our permission) my response to her is no good can come of that.

If the kids don't have walkie talkies, do they have a pager system or something to contact a parent in an emergency or if the child wants to be picked up?

Thank you for the info! I agree - no roaming on the ship for my kids either. When we've sailed other lines, my daughter is always amazed at how young the kids that are without parents. Although this past summer we sailed Disney and she found out that since she was now 8 she could sign herself out of the Club (with our permission) my response to her is no good can come of that.

If the kids don't have walkie talkies, do they have a pager system or something to contact a parent in an emergency or if the child wants to be picked up?

No, Adventure Ocean does not provide pagers. I have heard that some ships do have DECT phones for rent, but I have never needed them so I have no idea if the AOS is one of those ships! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from our cruise on the adventure of the seas. This was our 3rd cruise with royal caribbean with the other two having left our of miami. I can honestly say I will more than likely never go on another cruise that leaves out of puerto rico. They were the rudest bunch of people that I have ever met. We went with a few other couples and everyone that I talked to was really annoyed. I don't know how many times I got cut in front of or ran into. Sorry about my little rant but just a warning for anyone that is thinking of going on it. Everything else about the cruise was pretty great.

I don't understand what is going on here....in 05 and 06 we were on aos and NEVER seen anyone being rude or anything else for that manner.....we even stayed 1 day precruise and post cruise in 06 and NEVER encountered anyone being anything else but nice.....anyone interested on leaving from san juan, go for it and enjoy yourself.....

Archived