For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Hi Robyn, we are booking on June 7th on AOS out of San Juan to the 5 islands (Barbados, St. Croix, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. John-Antigua). Do you have any suggestions on whether a balcony would be better port side (L) or starboard ®? We also have a choice of a balcony far aft facing out to the ocean on Deck 7, but I was afraid of what I'd read on some of the posts about these cabins having obstructed views because of beams, etc. despite the great fact that they have larger balconies. Any advice on that?

Also, any suggestions on which beaches in each port to visit would be great, or any "must sees". We are trying to keep the excursion costs down, so unless there is an absolute "don't miss this" we would be happy visiting nice beaches.

Thanks!

Smileeface

You have me stumped because I have yet to do that itinerary!!!! The one thing I will tell you, is that aft cabins on Voyager class ships is not my cup of tea. Give me an aft on a Radiance class and I am in heaven :) Voyager class has the steel superstructure and you have to look through it to see the ocean. Keep in mind there are plenty of folks who love the aft on Voyager class, I am just not one of them.

I would choose a hump cabin if you can! Can't go wrong with them. Location is perfect, and if you are lucky enough to get center hump you may even have views forward and aft !

Good Luck and happy cruising!!!!!:D

You have me stumped because I have yet to do that itinerary!!!! The one thing I will tell you, is that aft cabins on Voyager class ships is not my cup of tea. Give me an aft on a Radiance class and I am in heaven :) Voyager class has the steel superstructure and you have to look through it to see the ocean. Keep in mind there are plenty of folks who love the aft on Voyager class, I am just not one of them.

I would choose a hump cabin if you can! Can't go wrong with them. Location is perfect, and if you are lucky enough to get center hump you may even have views forward and aft !

Good Luck and happy cruising!!!!!:D

DH would totally agree with you about afts on Voyager class ships. We have a center hump in a week! :D We can make a comparison after that.

Actually, all of the cabins on Voyager class ships seem to be recessed into the ship, and feel a bit cave-like to us. Voyager OTS, however, is docked just down the road from us, so it is way too tempting......we just can't seem to resist.

Hi Robyn, we are booking on June 7th on AOS out of San Juan to the 5 islands (Barbados, St. Croix, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. John-Antigua). Do you have any suggestions on whether a balcony would be better port side (L) or starboard ®? We also have a choice of a balcony far aft facing out to the ocean on Deck 7, but I was afraid of what I'd read on some of the posts about these cabins having obstructed views because of beams, etc. despite the great fact that they have larger balconies. Any advice on that?

Also, any suggestions on which beaches in each port to visit would be great, or any "must sees". We are trying to keep the excursion costs down, so unless there is an absolute "don't miss this" we would be happy visiting nice beaches.

Thanks!

Smileeface

We were in St John Antigua 12/31/07 and we visited a private island called Prickly Pear Island. It was great and we had a great time, the food was great and they had all you can drink. Don't drink alcohol however some of the guest were feeling real happy:). I attached their website for your review.

http://www.pricklypearisland.com/

My wife and I have sailed on six different RCCL cruises and 1 Carnival Cruise I can tell you this, of all the cruises we were on The AOS was the best. We sailed on her twice and I would go again in a heartbeat. The ship does have a lot of Puerto Rican folks on sailings, thats because it sails from their home port, San Juan. I find them to be courteous, fun, respectful and welcoming. Don't forget they are the closest thing to mainland Americans that we have. We never observed one incident on the two sailings that would make us wish we did not book a cruise on this ship

We are on AOS on April 5-12. When we booked our flight on AA, we were to leave SJU at 1:15 pm. Perfect. They have since changed it (earlier) twice -- today they changed it to 11:25 am. ARGH!

I called RCI -- they said as long as it is after 11 am, you'll be fine. We cannot do self-assist. Can I still try to get a low number so my family can be among the first off?

Also -- recent AOS cruisers -- what time have your flights been out of SJU?

I hate having to have any stress whatsoever about this. If AA makes this flight any earlier, I will be really, really ticked off. (Their only other direct flight is at 6:10 pm.)

Can anyone provide any assurance?

We are on AOS on April 5-12. When we booked our flight on AA, we were to leave SJU at 1:15 pm. Perfect. They have since changed it (earlier) twice -- today they changed it to 11:25 am. ARGH!

I called RCI -- they said as long as it is after 11 am, you'll be fine. We cannot do self-assist. Can I still try to get a low number so my family can be among the first off?

Also -- recent AOS cruisers -- what time have your flights been out of SJU?

I hate having to have any stress whatsoever about this. If AA makes this flight any earlier, I will be really, really ticked off. (Their only other direct flight is at 6:10 pm.)

First of all, stop freaking out! I know you feel stress about the flight time change - but if you can't switch it to a later time, then you need to deal with it as it is.

11:25am for a departing flight out of SJU is not ideal, but it is what it is. Make sure you get the earliest departure color, and you should be off shortly after 8 am, provided there are no issues with customs clearance. The airport is a 15 min cab ride, and because you will be there so early - the lines to check in shouldn't be too bad. The lines at SJU tend to peak at around 11:00am and by then you will be waiting to board your flight :)

Don't let the stress of your flight out ruin the excitement of your cruise!!!

Thank you, Robin! That's what I wanted to hear! I just hate when I plan things perfectly really far ahead of time and then details that are out of my control are changed on me!

Trust me, I am a planner too - so I feel your pain! ;)

You will manage this earlier departure just fine :) Now focus on the rest of your planning in these next few months leading up to your cruise! You are going to have a spectacular time!!! :D

Trust me, I am a planner too - so I feel your pain! ;)

You will manage this earlier departure just fine :) Now focus on the rest of your planning in these next few months leading up to your cruise! You are going to have a spectacular time!!! :D

So true - I'd much rather be thinking about beaches and frozen cocktails!

Awesome Toonjie - thanks :)

Thanks! Hey, I just got my Crown and Anchor Magazine and it is the member photo edition, one of my pics from Bathsheba in Barbados made it in. It is on page 5 entitled, Barbados by David Latoundji

Thanks! Hey, I just got my Crown and Anchor Magazine and it is the member photo edition, one of my pics from Bathsheba in Barbados made it in. It is on page 5 entitled, Barbados by David Latoundji

Amazing!!!!! I will look for it when my magazine gets here :)

Your kids are beautiful - and the Mariner review is wonderful so far....keep it coming!!!

Hey, Robyn... or anyone else who's been on the AOS lately, I've got a couple questions...

The last 3 times I've been to Aruba, we docked at the north (left as you are facing the island) pier, so when you come off the ship you are a block or so north of Senor Frogs. Does the AOS dock in this same location, or since it ports there regularly, does it dock at the more central pier?

Also, how early have folks been disembarking in SJU? I'm booked on a late afternoon flight home, but am hoping to waitlist for a late morning flight. What are my chances of getting to the airport by 9:00ish?

Can I still try to get a low number so my family can be among the first off?

In the past when we wanted an extra early disembarkation or late, we go to the front desk in the first couple of days of the cruise and ask. Never any problem to get the early or late request. They will provide you with the earliest departure time off the ship, in my opinion.

Gerry

Hi! We just got off the AOS on Sunday, and leaving the ship was no problem. You go through customs and imigrations in San Juan, and it was a breeze. They barely looked at our passports, and just took the customs form. If you can use the airline valet service (for flights after 1PM I think), do so. It was such a relief not to have to drag the bags with us, and you avoid all of the lines at the airport for check in. We were the 5th group, and we were off the ship and in a cab by 10AM. Our flight was at 1:49, and direct to DC. My bet is that if your flight is to Miami, the gate area is going to be crazy, but we were able to have a nice lunch, do some shopping, and actually boarded and left early.

The AOS is a lovely ship, and I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. The ports were great, the crew excellent and we had a great time.

BarbaB

In the past when we wanted an extra early disembarkation or late, we go to the front desk in the first couple of days of the cruise and ask. Never any problem to get the early or late request. They will provide you with the earliest departure time off the ship, in my opinion.

Gerry

Thanks, Gerry. Will put it on DH's "to do" list for the cruise :D.

Can you tell me how good the hair dryer on AOS is? Also, what hair products do they provide in the bathrooms? With new baggage restrictions, we are trying to limit wherever and whenever we can. Thank you!!!

First of all, We just got back from AOS and it was wonderful! Loved the ship, loved all the ports!

Hairdryer is just fine. I used it every day. Bring little sample shampoos and things if you can, and throw away what you don't use afterwards so you don't have to lug all that back home again with you. The shampoo they have on AOS is mounted on the shower wall and it's Okay, but pretty watered down. I went to Wal-mart and bought samples of almost all my bathroom products. As far as baggage restrictions, I am the queen of over-packing normally, but this time I made a list of what I was going to wear each day, and stuck to it. There were only a couple things I hadn't worn at the end of the cruise. Leave your beach towels at home, and use the ship's pool towels. That saves a lot of space! Limit the number of shoes. One plain black dress shoe should get you thru all the evening dinners. One tennis shoe, one sandahl. Maybe that one "cute" shoe you can't leave home without!

Have a blast!

Jean

First of all, We just got back from AOS and it was wonderful! Loved the ship, loved all the ports!

Hairdryer is just fine. I used it every day. Bring little sample shampoos and things if you can, and throw away what you don't use afterwards so you don't have to lug all that back home again with you. The shampoo they have on AOS is mounted on the shower wall and it's Okay, but pretty watered down. I went to Wal-mart and bought samples of almost all my bathroom products. As far as baggage restrictions, I am the queen of over-packing normally, but this time I made a list of what I was going to wear each day, and stuck to it. There were only a couple things I hadn't worn at the end of the cruise. Leave your beach towels at home, and use the ship's pool towels. That saves a lot of space! Limit the number of shoes. One plain black dress shoe should get you thru all the evening dinners. One tennis shoe, one sandahl. Maybe that one "cute" shoe you can't leave home without!

Have a blast!

Jean

Very good tips and thanks so much! I'm mentally packing my suitcase (as I type) to leave next week on AOS, and I love the idea of making a list of what to wear every day. One week from today at this time, we should be getting close to pulling up to the pier!

De

I think this thread is long overdue.

Each week I see at least 2-3 posts regarding the Adventure of the Seas, people who have booked and are now afraid they made a mistake - and people who have yet to book, that may not ever book because of what they read on here.

As many of you know, I have cruised on the AOS 3 times and have had wonderful cruise vacations on all 3. I am sailing again next month on my 2nd B2B on the AOS and I am eagerly anticipating another fantastic cruise! :)

Here are a few commonly asked questions about the AOS:

Q: Does the AOS have a large amount of Puerto Ricans sailing on her for most cruises?

A: Yes, there are Puerto Rican's on cruises out of San Juan. It is their home port and I would be very surprised if they weren't.

Q: Are the announcements in Spanish as well as English?

A: Yes they are. Is it an issue? No.

Q: Are Puerto Ricans rude and rowdy?

A: No more rude and rowdy than other passengers I have seen on other ships and other itineraries. Puerto Ricans are a lively bunch :)

Q: Is the AOS a sick ship, or more prone to Noro than other ships?

A: No. The AOS has as much chance of a noro outbreak as any other ship in the RCI fleet.

Q: I have booked the AOS and after reading negative reviews, I want to cancel - what should I do?

A: You can cancel you cruise if you want, but you will be missing out on a fantastic cruise on a great ship sailing on a wonderful itinerary!

I do understand that some people have had negative experiences on the AOS - but the same can be said for any other ship. There will always be people cutting in line, pushing elevator buttons, chair hogging and the list goes on......unfortunately, some people like to leave their manners at home :(

My experiences have been terrific on the AOS and I would encourage anyone to sail on her and see for themselves what a great ship she is!!

Yes....I am an AOS cheerleader, and proud of it!!!

Funny enough, this thread began on the day that I embarked on my very first cruise ever...on AOS!!!! And I LOVED it!! Every single minute detail of it!! I loved that I was able to spend an extra day in PR the day before the cruise and the many fun-loving Puerto Ricans on the ship made the cruise that much better! My family and I did a bus tour through an outside operator and we were the only Americans on board. It was fantastic. The tour wouldn't have been nearly as fun any other way. Everyone was singing and dancing (yes! on the bus!) and it was a blast. Not to mention the ship itself was beautiful. And the ports were fantastic. Clearly, I am also a cheerleader of AOS! :D Do not pass it up!

We leave on 2/15/09(14 days and counting). I'm just looking through my documents and they indicate that departure from Aruba is 8:00 p.m. However, on website that time changed awhile back and states that ship departs at 6:00 p.m. To any recent AOS cruisers, what time did you depart Aruba?

We sailed AOS a couple years ago and she was our FAVORITE ship....Loved it and the route (which was the Aruba route). I am soooo excited for my upcoming cruise on her this May. When I sailed her last we had an interior room....this time I have an aft deck 10 balcony.....#1690!!! We are going the Barbados route this time. Just a lil background....there will be 3 couples in their early 30's sailing and no kids along with us. Now for my questions....and I know there is a port board but where better to get answers than from the fans of the ship? LOL

What are the don't miss attractions at each stop I will be visiting?

Does anyone know if we will be able to do anytime dining in May? Do you reccomend it?

What are formal nights?

We are flying out of Philly to SJU with United Aiir....whats the truth on bags and costs???

Thanks

We leave on 2/15/09(14 days and counting). I'm just looking through my documents and they indicate that departure from Aruba is 8:00 p.m. However, on website that time changed awhile back and states that ship departs at 6:00 p.m. To any recent AOS cruisers, what time did you depart Aruba?

Several people fresh off the Jan 18-25 cruise stated on another thread that departure for them was 8pm. We are hoping they don't change it before April. We'd like to do a sunset cruise.

Archived