For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

One of the very best excursions we've ever done was in in Dominica. We took a whale-watching catamaran tour. Not only were the baby whales we saw magnificent, the view of the island from the cat. was spectacular. It was relaxing, enjoyable, safe, fun, scenic, and exciting! There are several companies that do this tour. Ours was run by a company called The Anchorage Scuba and Snorkeling something. Just do a search on Dominica Anchorage Whale watching and you should find it.

Thanks so much for the info - Dominica is a port we know very little about, so it helps that you have been on that excursion and enjoyed it, and can recommend it :) I will definitely check into it.

Welllll...we were going to go on the Shipwreck Snorkel and Pirate Adventure in Barbados - but based on the poor reviews it got on the Barbados board - we're back to square one. As toonjie said, there are some locals (one in particular) who will answer any question you have quickly. We're now thinking of doing the snorkel w/ the turtles.

For St Croix - I think we're going to be wiped. There's not a lot of excursions, at least not from what I've found. We're just going to use it as a beach day. If you go to the St Croix board - there are some posts as to what beaches to find.

Hope this helps.

We took the public bus to the same beach where the shore excusions go to swim with the turtles. It's a short walk from the port to the public bus stop. It was very inexpensive to ride the bus. The local folks were very friendly. We met some wonderful people. Everyone helped us to find the right bus stop. There's an outdoor restaurant/bar with restroom facilities, a beautiful beach, wonderful waves, and even a small motor boat for hire if you don't want to swim out to the turtles. Just watch for the tourist boats to arrive with the turtle food. You can swim out and join them for free! The bus trip back was also simple. You can shop at some local places on the short walk back from the bus stop to the port (we found some great art pieces). There's even a few places to catch a bite to eat (local food).

Just do a search on the ports boards and you'll find the information you need.

Karen in Kentucky

Hi Everyone! My group of 5 are sailing on Adventure of the Seas April 25, 2010. The ports are St. Croix, St. Maarten, St John's, St. Lucia and Barbados. I was wondering about excursions. Can any one tell me what excursion through the ship or through a tour operator they took that was well worth every penny and on the other side which excursion they took that you wish you didn't bother and kept your money? Thanks for all responses.

In St. Lucia, do not miss Cosul's tour. I'd read alot about it on these boards, but I'm not much of a tour person (I like to do things independently). This tour is worth every penny and more!!

The buses are very clean, air conditioned, and well-maintained (and smaller). The tour guides (Cosul, his brother, and his friends) are exceptionally knowledgable, humorous, well-organized, and generous). The food stops are fantastic and homemade (think Sunday potluck and fresh hot homemade bread). The drive through the rainforest has several stops (banana plantation, cashew tree, snake that you can put around your neck and have a picture taken with:eek:, beautiful vistas of the ocean, amazing foliage, etc. etc.

But the finale is the stop at the beach between the Pitons (Jalousiee-spelling??). It's a small beach but you can almost touch the Pitons which are two ginormous green, lush mountains. I wish I was there right now. Take lots of film. It's incredible.

On St. John's we rented a car in advance (like Hertz or Avis) and drove through the island, stopping for pictures from the tops of hills overlooking the sea, and finding our own little private cays to swim in. The snorkeling was great too. The water color is light clear blue. It's warm and gentle. St. John's is a paradise.

We took a public bus to a beach in Barbados and swam out to the turtles. A must-do in my opinion. Nice beach too.

This was our 3rd cruise on AOS, two times to Aruba, and once to Barbados, and we have loved every one of them, 7th cruise total, any questions?

Did you try My Time Dining? We will be on AOS in January. We are scheduled for the late dinner seating, but My Time Dining sounds interesting. However, I am concerned that we will miss the shows and special events that are scheduled according to the main and second dinner seatings. What did you experience on your recent cruise?

Wow, I remember when this board first started in January 08! Glad to see it is a wonderful work in progress. We sailed AOS April 08 and will be sailing again on the Adventure Oct 09. Absolutely love the ship.

Question: does anyone have any information regarding web cams on the islands? For those we leave at home to view

Also looking for information regarding the weather/storm watchers in the caribbean. Had the site, but ds took computer off to school, thus~ there went my information, lol

Friday night was LOBSTER night, and boy was it GOOD ! the food this trip was the BEST i've had in 7 cruises and 3 of those were on AOS!

Someone else almost as addicted to the AOS as I am!!!!! :rolleyes::D;)

Going on AOS on Aug.2nd. We plan to come in 2 days early and woukd like to stay at the Carib Hilton. Any info wou;d be greatly app. How long will the cab ride be, is there anything nearby to walk to, etc. Thanks very much.

Going on AOS on Aug.2nd. We plan to come in 2 days early and woukd like to stay at the Carib Hilton. Any info wou;d be greatly app. How long will the cab ride be, is there anything nearby to walk to, etc. Thanks very much.

Hey jor - we're going on the August 2nd AOS sailing as well. Headed out of Philly early Friday morning (the 31st) and staying at the Stellaris for two nights. I don't think your cab ride is going to be too terribly long - 20 - 25 minutes at the most.

This was our 3rd cruise on AOS, two times to Aruba, and once to Barbados, and we have loved every one of them, 7th cruise total, any questions?

Does the spa do Accupuncture? Know it's an odd question, some ships have had it just wondered if AOS did?

Thanks,

Kate

Does the spa do Accupuncture? Know it's an odd question, some ships have had it just wondered if AOS did?

Thanks,

Kate

Kate - not quite sure about acupuncture on the AOS, I don't recall seeing anything about it?

Hey jor - we're going on the August 2nd AOS sailing as well. Headed out of Philly early Friday morning (the 31st) and staying at the Stellaris for two nights. I don't think your cab ride is going to be too terribly long - 20 - 25 minutes at the most.

Hi wimswim, we are leaving from Newark Fri. morn. Mabe our planes will cross in route(not to close tho I hope). We are from the Lehigh Valley,Easton area. This will be our 3rd. on the AOS and 20th overall. Really looking forward to everything. We stayed at the Sheridan the past two times but this is an anniverary trip so we decided to spring for the Hilton to make it a little more special, but we know nothing about getting to the pier from there. We have stayed at the Normandy, which is just next door to the Hilton but back when the ships left from the piers over on osj not the Pan Am.

Thanks,

Kate

Kate,

Just off of AOS yesterday! I do recall seeing something about accupuncture at the spa. Sorry, I don't know details...

Just back from our B2B on Adventure, our best cruise yet! The ship, the crew and intenary, it was great!

I have never met a more sociable, friendly and humorous Captain than Captain Bjorn, although in the airport going home he was there at the check in desks, so I am not quite sure if he has gone home for a short break or what?

The crew were the most friendliest bunch we've ever had, they were just fantastic! :D

Food - plenty of variety at the Windjammer, and in the Dining Room, had no complaints everthing done to perfection! Our waiters Vinod

Yes, there are alot of Puerto Ricans on the ship as we already know, but we didn't find them to be a problem at all, there were one or two rude ones but that went over my head. :cool:

Certainly didn't spoil our cruise vacation, and should'nt spoil anybody elses future cruise on her..... we had a fantastic time!!

When we booked in January, without asking we were given late dining. We had MTD on Brilliance on our B2B in Mar/Apr and loved it. So I called Crown and Anchor to make the change. No problem there. :)

Now, based on the comments on cruise critic about the best side of the ship to have the cabin, I made a change this morning. We had a JS on the hump on the starboard side. Most comments were that the port side was best in most ports. So I asked if there was a cabin available on the hump on the other side for both legs of the b2b. There was so I switched. :)

Hope the advice received turns out to be good. :rolleyes:

Gerry

When we booked in January, without asking we were given late dining. We had MTD on Brilliance on our B2B in Mar/Apr and loved it. So I called Crown and Anchor to make the change. No problem there. :)

Now, based on the comments on cruise critic about the best side of the ship to have the cabin, I made a change this morning. We had a JS on the hump on the starboard side. Most comments were that the port side was best in most ports. So I asked if there was a cabin available on the hump on the other side for both legs of the b2b. There was so I switched. :)

Hope the advice received turns out to be good. :rolleyes:

Gerry

Any cabin is a great cabin on this fabulous ship!!!!

Have a great cruise!!!

Just back from our B2B on Adventure, ..... we had a fantastic time!!

we are doing a B2B aug 2 and 9th. What was the procedure on turn around day? We have the same cabin for both legs, so according to other posts we do not have to remove our belongings.

Did you get off and tour PR that day? If so was there a seperate entry way to avoid the check in crowd?

Could you share what you did on each island? So far we only have the Silver Moon planned on Barbados. We usually do beach visits over tours.

Just back from our B2B on Adventure, our best cruise yet! The ship, the crew and intenary, it was great!

I have never met a more sociable, friendly and humorous Captain than Captain Bjorn, although in the airport going home he was there at the check in desks, so I am not quite sure if he has gone home for a short break or what?

The crew were the most friendliest bunch we've ever had, they were just fantastic! :D

Food - plenty of variety at the Windjammer, and in the Dining Room, had no complaints everthing done to perfection! Our waiters Vinod

Yes, there are alot of Puerto Ricans on the ship as we already know, but we didn't find them to be a problem at all, there were one or two rude ones but that went over my head. :cool:

Certainly didn't spoil our cruise vacation, and should'nt spoil anybody elses future cruise on her..... we had a fantastic time!!

How long did it take to disembark the ship. What time was your flight out of San Juan.

We have a 11:00am flight do you think this will be a problem.

Has anyone stayed at the Embassy Suites. Does anyone have any recent compasses for the itinerary stopping Barbados, St Croix etc

Thanks Sunrocket

Archived