For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

The terminal doors open at about 11:20 a.m (from my experience over the last 5 cruises on the AOS!) I am usually on the ship by 11:45 a.m :) This all hinges on the previous cruise disembarkation process going smoothly and the ship being fully cleared for re-boarding by customs. I have never had a problem - and am hoping for the same in 76 days!!! :D

I agree with Robyn. They will allow you to board as soon as the previous passengers have cleared customs and/or immigration. We are usually on board between 11:30 and Noon.

Only 13 more days to go!!!!

I agree with Robyn. They will allow you to board as soon as the previous passengers have cleared customs and/or immigration. We are usually on board between 11:30 and Noon.

Will you let us know how things went when you get back? I have been reading some reviews that just in the last couple of months they have changed some procedures that used to be handled in St Thomas. This was causing a long delay to clear the ship and start embarkation. I'd like to get on the ship as early as possible but want to pick the best time with out a 2 1/2 hour wait like some have experienced lately. That would make my DH very Crabby :o Debbie

Yes, it would be a good idea to try to find some fresh information on this. Starting with my cruise (10/26/08) they apparently did shift immigration from St. Thomas to San Juan, and that day may have included extensive search procedures on board as well (with the drug dogs), which are not done every week. Both turnaround days for me were fairly unpleasant with very long waits in lines and traffic.

I arrived before noon expecting a fairly quick boarding, but had to wait about an hour, as they had not started boarding by then. I forget the exact times, I think I posted more details at that time. :)

Theron

Ckrobyn' date=' we may shoot for an upgrade, would you suggest 10:30 is early enough to have somewhat of a chance if there are any suites left? Also does Platinum have priority boarding? Will our e-docs state we are Platinum because this is the first cruise we are:). Also since you have been to SJ a few times could you recommend a couple of restaurants and shopping areas. We are staying at the Marriot (your fav place:)) for 3 nights and we have a 4 and 5 year old. We have been to OSJ twice but since we are in a different area what would you recommend? Thanks Sue[/quote']

Honestly, I have never seen ANY cabins available, let alone suites on the day of a sailing :( There is always a sign that states "all staterooms for this sailing are currently occupied". Having said that, if you believe there may be cabins available, it would be wise to get to the port as early as possible and check with the pier coordinator. Yes, Platinum does have priority boarding at the Pan Am Pier. I have never received e-docs (I always opt for the mailed out one's!) so I don't know what they will say? Your C&A status is listed on your reservation, so if anyone gives you a hard time (which they won't!) tell them to check your reservation! :rolleyes:

Hmmmm......restaurant recommendations? I would highly recommend the restaurant located directly adjacent to the Marriott - it is about 10 feet from the front door!!! It's called Blossom (may have a name before or after it, but Blossom is what I recall) It is a Japanese restaurant that has Tepanyaki tables where they cook right in front of you. The chef puts on quite a show and our 12 yr old DD and her 8 yr old friend really loved it! The food is excellent (and obviously fresh) - I think you would enjoy it. They have steak, chicken, shrimp - as well as a good selection of tempura and sushi.

I do most of my shopping in Old San Juan - they have a great Dooney and Bourke outlet!!! :p I also hear that the Mall of the Americas (Plaza Las Americas) is very good as well, although I have never been there.

Hope this helps??

Nan - only 13 days left??? Lucky you!!!! :D:D Keep her in good shape for me, ok?? Happy cruising!!!!

Debarkation and Embarkation at the Pan American Pier SUCKS. Princess cruise is loading from there at the same time. There are 12,000 people trying to get in and out, at roughly the same time, via a two lane road. It can took us 45 minutes for the cab to get from the edge of the airport to the ship (at around 11:30 AM). Then, when you leave, it can take another 45 minutes to take you from the pier to anywhere else.

Also, when leaving, if you are going anywhere other than the airport, good luck on getting a taxi. The driver can and WILL deny your fare in order to stuff their cab full and fuller with airport traverlers only. We were in a group of 6 trying to get to old San Juan, and when we tried to get a taxi, the drivers told the idiots in the orange shirts, who are trained in causing chaos rather than control, NO! And when we challenged the idiots in the orange shirts, they told me that the taxi, which was empty, already had airport travelers in it. It was a blantant lie. They allowed it to continue. Only when the six of us began to raise hell, did the convince a taxi driver to take us.

Now, back to embarkation, we were in a suite, so after checking our bags, we were able to skip the normal check-in line. Now, we were able to board shortly after 12:30, so getting there early was, ultimately, benefical.

Later, when looking down into the embarkation area at around 2:30, the check-in line was about 100-150 yards long. Our dinner companions, who did not have suites, and who arrived around 2PM (take their cab only about 30 minutes for the last mile), waited a good 45 minutes in that line. And, no matter what the cruise line said, this was for a cruise running at about 80% capacity.

Final thought, San Jose remains visible for hours after leaving. The ship has to sail all the way around the west end of the island before turning south. When I went to bed (around 1AM), it was still visible.

Final, final thought - Old Harbor Brewpub, in downtown old San Juan, gave us an excellent dinner the night before the cruise.

A full review is coming later this week. RCCL came through again with a wonderful week.

Dolby1000

After reading her post:eek:, I am quite sure I won't make the 10:00 AM flight when we debark.

I have to wonder, though, since the majority of people don't book flights before 12 Noon( except stupid me), I wonder why its so crowded getting off the ship at 6 something AM..anyone have any thoughts? I kind of figured that I would be the only idoiot getting off so early.. where is everyone else going?

Debarkation and Embarkation at the Pan American Pier SUCKS. Princess cruise is loading from there at the same time. There are 12,000 people trying to get in and out, at roughly the same time, via a two lane road. It can took us 45 minutes for the cab to get from the edge of the airport to the ship (at around 11:30 AM). Then, when you leave, it can take another 45 minutes to take you from the pier to anywhere else.

Also, when leaving, if you are going anywhere other than the airport, good luck on getting a taxi. The driver can and WILL deny your fare in order to stuff their cab full and fuller with airport traverlers only. We were in a group of 6 trying to get to old San Juan, and when we tried to get a taxi, the drivers told the idiots in the orange shirts, who are trained in causing chaos rather than control, NO! And when we challenged the idiots in the orange shirts, they told me that the taxi, which was empty, already had airport travelers in it. It was a blantant lie. They allowed it to continue. Only when the six of us began to raise hell, did the convince a taxi driver to take us.

Now, back to embarkation, we were in a suite, so after checking our bags, we were able to skip the normal check-in line. Now, we were able to board shortly after 12:30, so getting there early was, ultimately, benefical.

Later, when looking down into the embarkation area at around 2:30, the check-in line was about 100-150 yards long. Our dinner companions, who did not have suites, and who arrived around 2PM (take their cab only about 30 minutes for the last mile), waited a good 45 minutes in that line. And, no matter what the cruise line said, this was for a cruise running at about 80% capacity.

Final thought, San Jose remains visible for hours after leaving. The ship has to sail all the way around the west end of the island before turning south. When I went to bed (around 1AM), it was still visible.

Final, final thought - Old Harbor Brewpub, in downtown old San Juan, gave us an excellent dinner the night before the cruise.

A full review is coming later this week. RCCL came through again with a wonderful week.

Dolby1000

Dolby1000,

Wow it sounds as though the embark/disembarq was awful for you.

Can't wait to hear your full review.

I guess its safe to say that I will certainly miss my 10:00 AM flight out of SJ on the 28th of Dec:rolleyes:. There's only 2 of us, and we are staying in an OS so will get priority disembarkation and we are carrying off our own luggage.

Making a 10AM flight I think is a bit tight. We were not even cleared to desembark until 8:15. Unless you are right at the door, I think making that flight will be difficult. It will take some luck. However, having the concierge will certainly help. Dede is very helpful, nice and professional, if anyone can do it, she can. However, I heard she is taking a vacation in December, so I don't know if your concerige will be her or someone else.

As for the Intercontinental, your best bet is to take a cab to the airport and then one back to the hotel (just kidding).

DW and I did wait until the final disembarking (10:15AM) since our flight wasn't until 4PM, so we probably hit it right at the worse time, with people coming and going and going and coming.

Also not helping, was that the TSA (United claimed it was them) rejected our Luggage Valet request, so we couldn't check our bags directly with United and had to haul them to OSJ and then to the airport.

dolby1000

Thanks for the info Dolby1000. We will be going in January and will be checking out the most current reviews up until we leave. Hopefully things will settle down a little by then. We plan to stay on the ship as long as we can because our room at the Caribe Hilton won't be ready until 4:00.

Debbie

Couldn't agree more! AOS is a great ship! This May will be our 3rd cruise on her and will make 3 years in a row. We've never experienced any problems and have found both the ship and the crew to be superb! San Juan is my favorite port to sail out of with all the forts lit up at night and Old San Juan is one of my favorite places, so much so that last year I chose it to propose to my now wife. It's got to be one of the most romantic places on earth! She said yes in the courtyard of the El Convento Hotel!

Congrats to you two!! I went on AOS last Feb. and it was my first cruise, but I thought it was fantastic and now going on Independence of the Seas on March 1st. I'm excited.

Just read on another thread that My Time Dining will be available on the Adventure on Feb 15th. Darn, I will just miss it by 11 days. Oh well I'll have to book another cruise so I can check out this new dining option. :) Debbie

I am sailing on the AOS on Feb. 1th so am interested in this thread. What happens to commitment to main or late dining when reservations were made? Can you switch to "My Time Dining", and if you do switch will it be for all seven nights? Where on the AOS is the "My Time Dining" area? I am not at all familiar with this dining concept on RCI., so I apologize for all the questions.

Sorry, you are too early too. :o My Time Dining starts on Feb 15th on AOS.

Here's the thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=885210

I just got off the phone with RCI, and so far MTD is not in their system for the AOS beginning on February 15th :( I want to book it for our Feb 22nd cruise and so far it's not possible. I will check with them again in a few weeks......

Anyone with experience regarding the Sheraton Old San Juan?? A friend that is cruising with us in February just booked it for 2 nights pre-cruise on points :o

It gets pretty good reviews, it's not the greatest, but it's okay. The biggest advantage is it's right in OSJ and it's right across from the piers. (This won't help them because you are on the AOS.) The biggest complaint is it gets extremely crowded for post cruise stays since it is right across from the piers and people end up hanging out all day before their rooms are ready. It's hard to go wrong for free though! Oh, and the Parrot Club is an easy walk right out of the back of the hotel! Yum! :)

It gets pretty good reviews, it's not the greatest, but it's okay. The biggest advantage is it's right in OSJ and it's right across from the piers. (This won't help them because you are on the AOS.) The biggest complaint is it gets extremely crowded for post cruise stays since it is right across from the piers and people end up hanging out all day before their rooms are ready. It's hard to go wrong for free though! Oh, and the Parrot Club is an easy walk right out of the back of the hotel! Yum! :)

Thanks Toonjie,

My friend is doing 2 nights pre-cruise, so hopefully she won't have the same crowd issue to deal with as post-cruise!

We are going to meet her in OSJ on the Saturday night - there will be 3 adults and one 12 year old, and one 9 year old - can you recommend somewhere for dinner??

My family and I just stayed there 11/23/08. Arrived on Saturday around noon and the lobby was jamming with cruisers. The check in was quick, no real lines, two rooms ready, two we had to wait for.

The staff was very friendly and pleasant. We used the rooftop pool and except for them running out of towels it was fine. Just don't eat there as the food is overpriced.

I used cash and points and it worked out fine.

Thanks Toonjie,

My friend is doing 2 nights pre-cruise, so hopefully she won't have the same crowd issue to deal with as post-cruise!

We are going to meet her in OSJ on the Saturday night - there will be 3 adults and one 12 year old, and one 9 year old - can you recommend somewhere for dinner??

Since you have some kids in the group, I'll choose more kid-friendly, but still keeping the adults happy:

Raices

http://www.restauranteraices.com/

or

Barrachina

http://www.barrachina.com/

both often have entertainment and have lively atmospheres so the kids won't be bored and great food as well

as always, the Parrot Club is one of my all time favorites and they often have live music as well. (It's the most kid-friendly of the Oof restaurants.)

http://www.oofrestaurants.com/

Since you have some kids in the group, I'll choose more kid-friendly, but still keeping the adults happy:

Raices

http://www.restauranteraices.com/

or

Barrachina

http://www.barrachina.com/

both often have entertainment and have lively atmospheres so the kids won't be bored and great food as well

as always, the Parrot Club is one of my all time favorites and they often have live music as well. (It's the most kid-friendly of the Oof restaurants.)

http://www.oofrestaurants.com/

Awesome! Thanks for the links :)

73 more sleeps 'til my favorite ship!!!! :D

Archived