Advice for Voyager of the Seas cruise from Galveston

Hello,

I need some advice for my family's first cruise. It's just 4 of us, kids are 9 and 11 yrs old. Leaving out of Galveston on Feb 17 on Voyager of the Seas.

Here are our questions:

How early can we board the ship? Is it worth getting to the port and waiting to be on early?

How expensive are drinks on board? Soda for the kids?

Will the cruise ship take wine from your baggage if you hide a bottle or two?

Will the cruise ship allow passengers to walk on any wine in a carry on bag? Do they search your carry on?

What ports are the best with the kids? Montego Bay, Caymen, Cozumel? Which would be better to be on your own vs. paying for an excursion?

What restaurants are best to make reservations in advance?

Are walkie talkies good to have with the kids?

What kids programs are the best?

I guess that's it. Anything else you would think "if I went on this cruise again, I would have done xxxxxx different."

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin

Hello,

I need some advice for my family's first cruise. It's just 4 of us, kids are 9 and 11 yrs old. Leaving out of Galveston on Feb 17 on Voyager of the Seas.

Here are our questions:

How early can we board the ship? Is it worth getting to the port and waiting to be on early?

Will the cruise ship allow passengers to walk on any wine in a carry on bag? Do they search your carry on?

What ports are the best with the kids? Montego Bay, Caymen, Cozumel? Which would be better to be on your own vs. paying for an excursion?

I guess that's it. Anything else you would think "if I went on this cruise again, I would have done xxxxxx different."

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin

HI!!!!! We just got back today from Voyager cruise, we got to the terminal about 1:30 pm and waited in line for about an hour to get on the ship. I have heard if you get there a little later you wont wait in lines. The advantage of getting on early is the little raffles and stuff they give away on the Royal Promenade.

Sodas are $4 a day if you get the soda package cause kids drink lots of soda!! Also $6 a day for adults for the package! Its worth it cause you can share if you are careful with the card!!!

We hid 3 bottles of liquor that we never used wrapped tightly in socks hidden in our checked baggage.

I would not try to bring alcohol in your carry on!!!

Your carry on will go through a standard xray machine!!

We did a turtle farm excursion in Cayman that was lots of fun! Check out RCI's website for excursion options!

We have only booked excursions through RCI, so I am not sure if its easier or cheaper to get tickets in ports of call!!!

Portofino is an amazing restaurant experience with wonderful food totally worth the $20 per person, not for kids though!!

Walkie talkies are great but as long as your kids arent too loud because some people can be distracted by it!

Adventure Ocean is a great program for kids, theres an arcade, and a disco for kids!!!! Lots of fun stuff for them!!!

The only things I would have done differently were to not miss the ice show, take TONS more pictures, and take advantage of EVERYTHING including rock climbing, golf simulators, ping pong, drink of the day and everything on the Cruise Compass! I am truly jealous that you get to go on this ship, yall are going to have so much fun!!!!! and book Portofino when you get on the ship, please order the dessert sampler!!!!!! Have fun :D:D:D

Hello,

Here are our questions:

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin

In Cozumel, plan on your own. Taxis are very easy. If you want to spend $$$( and if your kids are interested) book online the Royal Dolophin swim At Chankanaub park. Download $2.00 off admission tickets for park admission. The park is spotless, drinks, food, shore snorkeling, a swimming pool and some other activities. It is a pleasant place for both kids and adults.

If you want to spend less, go to Paradise beach for the day. A GREAT beach for adults and kids. No entry fee, expected to spend a minimum of $10.00 on food and/or drink. For $9.00 each kids can get a wrist band allowing the use of certain water toys such as a water trampoline and an "ice berg" for climbing. Paradise is also very clean.

enjoy

Sandy

Usually starts boarding at around noon. I would be there around 11:30 to check in (Do fill in the on-line Set Sail Pass).

How expensive are drinks on board? Soda for the kids

Pop is $1.75 per can plus 15% gratutity (automaticlly added on) comes to $2.01 (US). There is soad packages available for kids and Adults. For adults it is $6.00 x no of days for 7 day cruise $42.00 plus 15%. For kids it is cheaper about $28.50 plus 15%.

Alcolic drinks are appox as floows plus 15% tip.

Beer - $3.75 and up depending on draft or bottle and domestic or imported.

Wine by the glass $5.00 and up

Wine by the bottle $22.00 and up to $165.00

Foo Foo $4.75 and up (if you have it in souvaniour glass you get to keep the glass but will be more).

Martinis start around $8.00 and up

Coffees that or speicalty type cost $2.95 and up (regular coffee and tea are free)

Milk and juice are free (juice can cost money in afternoon from bars. There is free ice tea from the Windjammer (Lido deck) Windjamer has free coffee, tea, milk, ice tea and some sort of punch 24/7. Cafe Promenade (Deck 5) has pizza and sandwiches to the wee hours free along with tea and coffee.

There is free ice crear (soft serve) on the pool deck in the afternoon.

Ben and Jerry's charges start at $3.75 and up.

Ice cream at dinner is free too (hard ice cream some times different flavours but small choice).

If caught yes but many have not been caught. It will be returned the last night.

No, they will take any alcoholic items from you and return them the last night. Yes, they search all bags coming on board including when you get off in the other ports. It is like an airport scanner. If you buy wine or rum ect on the islands they will take them when you come back on board and return them to you on the last night.

I would use ship tour as a first time person/group. If you wanted to try on your own thing then Cozumel would be the bast as this is a docked port. Cozumel and and Grand Cayman are the best for the kids. Montego Bay is best for adults (this port is the one most people will tell you is scary because the vendors are not shy about grabbing you.

Grand Cayman, you must use tenders here so I would go with ship's tour the first time here. See the sting rays.

Voyager only has Portofino's and book this as soon as you board.

Jonny Rockets (cover is $3.95 per person) is free for the kids on formal nights thur the kids club. They take them to dinner at 6 pm. You must sign up before noon on that day.

This depends on you and them and is a hot topic at time. For kids under5 you will be given a pager.

Adventure Ocean is the kids program on Voyager. They break them up in to age cats and do thing according to their ages. After 10 those 3-12 have a group thing but costs $$. It goes to 1 am.

Hello,

Here are our questions:

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Be sure to go over to the RCCL Roll Call for the Voyager, click on the 2/17 sailing and join the Roll Call. We will have a Meet and Mingle hosted by RCCL A few of the roll call members will have their children with them ont he cruise.

Are you driving or flying into Houston/Galveston?

We have sailed out of Galveston twice before on The Grand Princess. We got there around 1130, parked and were shuttled to the ship. We were onboard by 1230, having lunch. Embarkation seems to go much smoother, than debarkation.

Hello Fellow Newbie,

The Feb. 17th Voyager cruise will be my family's first as well. Hubby, me and two daughters ages 13 and 10. We're also traveling with the family of my 13 yo's best friend so, in total there's 14 of us. Guess there'll be no strangers seated at our dining room table!

Great questions asked and I'm glad you've recieved some solid information. It helps other like me as well! This board is a wealth of information. Just spend some time pouring over as many posts as you think might apply and you'll gleen lots of good stuff. I lurked here for forever, posted a few things, got picked on/insulted a few times too but, take it all with a grain of sea salt. Several grains. Some folks on these boards have been cruising so long, they're annoyed by "dumb" newbie questions. MOST folks are helpful as all get out. Do check out the Roll Call forums. I'm anxious to meet some of the folks I've been reading posts from. Look around the Ports Of Call boards too. Lots of good info.

Anyway, guess we'll "see" each other amongst 3000 other people in the not too distant future! Best of luck to you!

At Montego Bay, go to the Sunset Beach Resort. We just got back and it was our favorite stop. Get off the ship and ask for a JUTA (Jamaica govt. taxi)to take you to Sunset Beach Resort..its only a 5 min. trip. They will let you off at the gate and you make your way to the front desk where you will ask for a day pass. They cost $40.00 pp. (kids may be less). It is an all-inclusive resort.

You get to use their facilities, pool, beach, chairs, food, all the drinks are included (yes, alcohol). It is a beautiful area. And for the kids, they have a small waterpark with a slide. My family loved it. It is very safe, we left our belongings out and didn't have to worry.

There is construction going on there but it didn't bother us at all - you can still have a good time. Go to http://www.sunsetbeachresort.com for more info - you can also email them.

We would go back in a heartbeat. We had a great time there.

Archived