FOOD ?'s and Peanut/Treenut allergy?'s

digginthedirt

Hello-- We're going to be on the Costa Fortuna in March and have 2 children(3yrs and 7yrs).

We have severe peanut and treenut allergies(our reservation is marked with this info and I've read about making everyone working on the ship aware of our situation as well)

We are wondering about the buffets. Are things like yogurt in closed individual cups? Is chocolate milk in it's own small container?

Is the ice cream out of a self serve machine or do they serve/scoop it for you? Any other thoughts or ideas for us?

Has anyone with pnut/tree nut allergies traveled this way? Any Pointers????

Does anyone know if they use peanut oil on the ship--I can't seem to get many answers from the Costa people on the phone.

Thank VERY much in advance for any help,answers,suggestions

Mich

Hello,

yes, they do serve yoghurt in sealed cups at the buffet, and chocolate milk in seperate containers is available to. As they do not have italian icecream in the buffet but ice-cream machines you ought to be fine there, too.

For all other questions, I´d ask you to see the maitre d´ on your first day onboard. Especially when you are so sensitive that even oil might be a problem. Please keep in mind, that all kinds of chocolate from europe maycontain traces of nuts / peanuts and even italian chocolate icecream may not be save as it often contains nougat...

You see, I´ve spent some time with similar questions as you have. Anyways, I was able to enjoy the cruise and you should be too. Just keep asking until you are 100% sure, it won´t risk your health.

Also have child with allergies. Youngest is anaphlactic to all dairy and severe to peanut with a wheat intolerence thrown in for good measure. Don't have many answers yet on what they will do for a menu for him.Will hound them until I hear what I need to hear. My plan is to have lots of back up snacks and treats to go with anything I know is safe and ask everytime how it's cooked.

Hope we both find the answers we need!

It seems they'll really watch the food the prepare for lunch and dinner as long as we are in the dining room. I'm calling and asking the Costa reps various ?'s

I'm hoping that others with Peanut and Tree nut allergies have been on Costa and can tell me more.

Thank you for the responses so far:)

Was talking to the special services (1-800-445-8020 ext.5009) regarding sons allergies. Assured by them that they have his allergies noted on his file and there will be food for him to eat (i.e. soymilk).Asked who I should speak with when we board and told that the Maitre'D will be the best option. Also told to make sure I bring any nessacary medication in case of reaction. Really a given for anyone going anywhere with allergies.

Archived