Hmc - Snorkle Boat Excursion

Londoncruiser

We are on the Maasdam April 14th and are scheduled to stop at HMC. I was wondering if anyone has taken the snorkle boat from HMC....would like to know about the access into the water. Is there a ladder or platform to enter into the water? Also if there is a covering on the boat so one can have some shade.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cathy

The boat that was used for my HMC snorkeling last week was completely covered except for the small platform at the back where I sat to put on my fins. I dropped into the water from a sitting position on the platform. There was also a ladder.

We were warned that the water was choppy with 1-2 ft. swells. Reef 1 and 2 were closer to the boat, Reef 3 just a little further away. We were told that Reef 3 had the more colorful fish but because of the current to save some strength for the return swim to the boat.

It turned out that Reef 3 had the most colorful but lesser number of fish but was the easiest to snorkel, and it was easy to get back to the boat because the current wasn't too strong (and we were not far away to begin with).

Reef 1 and 2 each had a larger number of fish with Reef 2 being very unique because it was small. Both of these reefs were harder to snorkel in because of the swells. Reef 3 hardly had any swells and all reefs were in the same general area. Go figure...

Be warned that the water is colder there than I expected, much colder than our snorkel in St.Johns. Be careful of the coral. It does sting. I'm still nursing a few battle scars when I wasn't paying attention. Was it worth it??? YOU BET!!!

We were given 45 minutes of snorkeling time.

Donna

Thank you Donna for so much information. My husband is not a strong swimmer. Last April we went snorkling in Cozumel and the waves were knocking us up against the rocks - once I went out a bit from the shore the snorkling was great - but getting back up the cement and rock stairs was awful. I think we will try the boat at HMC. Do they supply life vests?

Thanks again for the info. Hopefully the water will be warmer in April.

Where did you snorkle in St. Johns?

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

There are no rocks around and the current wasn't very strong so I don't think your husband will have a problem. The boat is positioned between the reefs and there is a diver/snorkeler from the boat in the water with you, alternating between the reefs. He also briefed us on the hand signals used in case you get in trouble.

I was with a friend who is a beginner snorkeler and she had no trouble in what I thought were the harder reefs to swim because of the swells.

Yes they supply life vests, the lightweight kind which you must keep on. Whether you want to inflate them is up to you. They need to be deflated to be able to free dive below. Even deflated I couldn't get below to take pictures (too much salt water and too much buoyancy). I was told I could take the vest off and wrap it around my waist but I still couldn't get down - next time I bring weights with me!!

I am a certified scuba diver but I find snorkeling harder for some reason... plus frustrating when I can't get next to a fish.

All personal stuff can be left on the snorkeling boat at HMC without a problem. It is within close range at all times. There were also some ropes and floats by the ladder to the boat which made returning to the boat easy.

The fish on the snorkel by boat trip at HMC were more abundant and more colorful than those that others saw on Grand Turk and that we saw at St. John. At St. John we did the Trunk Bay Beach Tour. Trunk Bay has a beautiful beach, and a beautiful setting overall. It was an easy snorkel with an underwater trail that has blocks of cement? with writing on it that describes the fish/coral that you may see on the trail. You are permitted to snorkel outside the trail as long as you don't get too close to the rocks. We did see a good amount of fish outside the trail.

Another excursion that I loved at HMC were the jet skis. I had never been on one before and it was a blast! I would definitely do that again next time I'm there.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to help.

Donna

Archived