Items left on beach(camera)

karakopet

Ok here is my problem. My husband does not swim. I have spent $140.00 on snorkel gear and life vest for him. The only problem is he is not about to go in the water alone and of course I am bringing the cam and video with. Any ideas on what to put these4 items in so that I can take them in the water with me? Or are the beaches in Antigua, St. thomas, barbados, st lucia and tortola pretty safe?

If you leave cameras on the beach, do not expect them to be there when you return. Not sure how large these are, but if you give me a hint, I might be able to make a suggestion.

hahahahahahaahahahahaaha, great answer.

Will it be water tight?

items left alone unattended on any beach in the world even Bermuda sometimes walk off---remember some of your fellow cruisers would be happy to find it....for themselves. The simple suggestion is to find another couple from the ship to go with and switch off going into the water....or bring a cheap camera that won't upset you if it walks off.

If you HAVE to take a camera to the beach, try a disposable waterproof. Not digital, but the quality of the prints is good. In addition, those underwater shots of each other are priceless.

If you HAVE to take a camera to the beach, try a disposable waterproof. Not digital, but the quality of the prints is good. In addition, those underwater shots of each other are priceless.

I agree 100%. CVS also sells those disposable movie cameras for about $30 - we use those on the beach also so if it gets stolen, it isn't a huge loss.

I have a couple of these AquaPac products that I use when we snorkel and have had no problem with them. You can always test them at home on something less expensive than a camera to see if they will leak.

I have those as well, but would never take a good camera in them.

I agree, take disposable with you. After all my years of travel, I never trust anyone in any given situation with leaving my stuff while I swim at a resort or beach. You are better off only taking what you absolutely need.

Vicki

You might want to look at the website for PacSafe products. I have a backpack from them that has wire mesh throughout the pack to keep it from getting cut open, but it also includes a cable that can be used to tighten the opening. The cable can then be wrapped around around a stationary object and locked to that object. I bought it primarily for carrying my photo equipment when I travel. I think they have other products with similar features (i.e. messenger bags).

Because of this problem of storing a camera while we are in the water, I purchased a new digital a couple of years ago that has a waterproof housing. The camera can be removed, or placed directly inside to be taken with me in the water. Before that, cameras never went to the beach with us and we missed some really great shots while there.

I now just strap the camera around my wrist and it is safe to swim or snorkel and it isn't left unattended.

Because of this problem of storing a camera while we are in the water, I purchased a new digital a couple of years ago that has a waterproof housing. The camera can be removed, or placed directly inside to be taken with me in the water. Before that, cameras never went to the beach with us and we missed some really great shots while there.

I now just strap the camera around my wrist and it is safe to swim or snorkel and it isn't left unattended.

As a cocktail would be in the right hand?

We have always beached with others from ship and shared the duties so not to miss the photo moment.

Are you going on a ships tour or on your own? Everytime we take a tour to a beach area we have sat next to people on the same cruise. I have been asked many times if I wouldn't mind watching the belongings of someone close while they went into the water. You can find someone very easily, but if you're on your own it might be a little harder.

Not sure if you want to make an investment in another camera, but I bought a waterproof sanyo video camera that can also takes stills while you are filming. I used it on our recent Costa Rica trip and it worked great. I absolutely love it.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sanyo-Xacti-E1-Waterproof-SD-Camcorder-Blue-VPCE1BL/sem/rpsm/oid/181866/catOid/-13063/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I agree with everyone here about the disposable cameras, HOWEVER, right after you buy them, take them out of the package and inspect the case. I lost a bunch of pics, b/c the case was cracked.

Disposable underwater video cameras???????? I'd love some info on those, any links available.

Archived