Fuel Surcharge Illegal?

abitaturbodog

I say someone here that thinks what they did is illegal should file a lawsuit and see how far you get. When all your money is gone...let us all know how you made out..........:p

Thats what some of our tax dollars are used for - to pay the salary of the Attorney General and staff, of the State of Florida. And there is an OPEN investigation! :)

If there is a refund - can I have yours?:D :D

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but here goes.

While I do not agree with the "no tipping" group, we have to get something straight. Tips are for EXCEPTIONAL service and not an extra payment to get someone to do their job properly. They are already getting paid to do their jobs properly-it's called salary and the terms of the compensation are spelled out in their contract. The tips are for going above and beyond.

You are correct with this response....I agree fully. It should be up to Carnival to pay their employees, not the responsiblity of the consumer. But, that seems to be the way the world works in many industries now (restaurants, taxis, even a simple haircut).

Having said that, I will continue to tip knowing that if I don't these hard workers won't get paid.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but here goes.

While I do not agree with the "no tipping" group, we have to get something straight. Tips are for EXCEPTIONAL service and not an extra payment to get someone to do their job properly. They are already getting paid to do their jobs properly-it's called salary and the terms of the compensation are spelled out in their contract. The tips are for going above and beyond.

Even tho this is a fuel sup. thread, you need a heads up about tipping. You live in the USA and should already know this. And that is, they ARE NOT getting paid to do their jobs properly. The ship service workers make about $50. a month salary for 7 days at 8 to 16 hours per day so they cannot survive without tips. Yes they should only be tipped for good service, not because their salary is low. But it is extremely rare when their service is not good. Another FYI, in most states of the US the restaurant workers make in the $2.00 per hour range.

They are not covered by federal minimum wage laws. Some upscale restaurants pay their servers, NOTHING. They get tips only. And some very upscale restaurants CHARGE the servers a FEE to work there. But the tips are terrific.

You tip for good [read NORMAL] service, for above and beyond you tip more.

Your other choice is to have things like England where they think we're nuts for all our tipping. A medium diet coke and a small ice cream cone at a Mickey D's in London, $9.50 American. But no tipping!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

more.

Your other choice is to have things like England where they think we're nuts for all our tipping. A medium diet coke and a small ice cream cone at a Mickey D's in London, $9.50 American. But no tipping!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

I am sure NY city is more also but as far as Britain goes and other countries for a big Mac were prety close...... http://www.oanda.com/products/bigmac/bigmac.shtml

Since when do people tip at a Mickey D's in the good old USA? Because that's what your post is implying! Dumb comparison, if I ever saw one.

namaste,

i

The point, which whizzed right by you, is that service fees are added into the prices there and many other places too. Fees, service charges, tips, value tax, whatever you want to call it, its still nearly $10. out of pocket for less than $3.00 of product. Doesn't matter if its McD's or the Savoy Restaurant, you will pay for a tip. Here we have a choice. And McD's employees here do make min. wages. And I tip at McD's every time I get good service, so far that has cost me zero. :D Just kidding, I don't "do" Mickey D.

Dan

I am sure NY city is more also but as far as Britain goes and other countries for a big Mac were prety close...... http://www.oanda.com/products/bigmac/bigmac.shtml

Such a nice comparison list, however:

It does not list,

a med. diet coke, about $1.30 US and a small cone, about $1.10 here. For a total of about $2.40 if bought in Melbourne or Vero Beach. For that I paid 4 pounds 70. How much was the product and how much was added, I do not know. But at $2.17 to the Pound that is over $10.00.

Back to the subject???????????????

Dan

The point, which whizzed right by you, is that service fees are added into the prices there and many other places too. Fees, service charges, tips, value tax, whatever you want to call it, its still nearly $10. out of pocket for less than $3.00 of product. Doesn't matter if its McD's or the Savoy Restaurant, you will pay for a tip. Here we have a choice. And McD's employees here do make min. wages. And I tip at McD's every time I get good service, so far that has cost me zero. :D Just kidding, I don't "do" Mickey D.

Dan

Such a nice comparison list, however:

It does not list,

a med. diet coke, about $1.30 US and a small cone, about $1.10 here. For a total of about $2.40 if bought in Melbourne or Vero Beach. For that I paid 4 pounds 70. How much was the product and how much was added, I do not know. But at $2.17 to the Pound that is over $10.00.

Back to the subject???????????????

Dan

Is this the modern version of, "What has that got to do with the price of rice in China?" Now we are comparing hamburger prices in England and the USA while discussing a fuel surcharge?

Is this the modern version of, "What has that got to do with the price of rice in China?" Now we are comparing hamburger prices in England and the USA while discussing a fuel surcharge?

My trusty steed, "TANGENT," oft runs amok!

My Bad.

Dan

Thats what some of our tax dollars are used for - to pay the salary of the Attorney General and staff, of the State of Florida. And there is an OPEN investigation! :)

If there is a refund - can I have yours?:D :D

Please, since you have researched it so much send me the case file number of that investigation........Thank you......

And yes you may have mine. When it is over and done you will owe me money....at least in my tax dollars you all are waisting.......

You see...if what you state is true........I live in Florida and you don't so your state pays mine nothing (for the cost of our AG) for the mental masrterbation people are whipped up into over $5.00 a day........ :p

Please, since you have researched it so much send me the case file number of that investigation........Thank you......

And yes you may have mine. When it is over and done you will owe me money....at least in my tax dollars you all are waisting.......

You see...if what you state is true........I live in Florida and you don't so your state pays mine nothing (for the cost of our AG) for the mental masrterbation people are whipped up into over $5.00 a day........ :p

Its not $5 per day, its more like $250,000+ per day.

That would be the number of berths on all cruiselines that sail from FL.

So do you think its a waste of time still?

Its one thing if they simply raised prices,or added it to all new bookings,but that did not happen.

Its one thing if they simply raised prices,or added it to all new bookings,but that did not happen.

What a bunch of whinners...if you can't afford to cruise....don't. The airfare for most is way more taxing, surcharge this and that but not a word about that. All the ones that where up in arms when Carnival along with other cruise lines came out with this had a link to the FL AG but I don't see that anymore.

Good luck in your wasted time and effort to think you will change things....."It is what it is" !:rolleyes:

Only the first 2 berths in each cabin pay the surcharge...

Just sayin...

(happily paying my surcharge because that means I'm cruising and it's still the best bargain around :D)

But it's not your $250,000.00 a day. It's your $5.00 a day when you cruise.

And yes it is a waste oof time. You will pay it...I will pay it and everyone else will pay it....or not cruise.............

They...people in other states want us (residence of Florida) to spend our hard earned tax dollars to fight their battle. One of the whiners from the other states should hire an lawyer in their state to fight this battle. Why (if what someone says is true, though I doubt it) the state of Florida fight this battle for the people of other states. We here in Florida will not lose a cent over this. The ships will still sail full, the tourists will still come a day or two early and spend just as much money here.

Keep on whining over this and ask the AG to spend our money on something that is a civil issue. While we in this state are now battling to build a tax base that is declining every day. While the tax funds are being cut for schools, roads, fire departments and police departments just so you can save $5.00 a day while being able to afford a cruise while people are trying to make ends meet....

Don't cruise any of you if it irks you that much. Cancel your cruise in protest and don't cruise again til they lift this "Legal" surcharge. Stop buying peas, milk and bread at the store because the price is going up because of the price of fuel. Stop heating your home and driving your cars because the price of fuel is through the roof and will get even higher....that will show them.

Lay down on the floor and hold your breath and kick your hands and feet til you turn blue in the face and guess what......it ain't gonna change and you all will prove one thing........

Your ticked off over $5.00 a day...

:eek: :eek:

This thread seems to have caught the attention of the Saints and Sinners. I don't suppose there is any mention of this thread on their roll call thread.

I pay pretty close attention and haven't seen anything about it... but we are a large group, and sometimes we actually post on the same threads :p Did you see something posted there?

I pay pretty close attention and haven't seen anything about it... but we are a large group, and sometimes we actually post on the same threads :p Did you see something posted there?
No, I didn't look. I was being sarcastic.

No, I didn't look. I was being sarcastic.

I looked, just to make sure, and there isn't... that is generally a no-no, so most of the posters on the roll call would not do that... but in a group of well over 100, you are bound to have a few people posting in some of the same threads... sorry if anyone was offended, but rest assured, we didn't have a game plan when posting.

This thread seems to have caught the attention of the Saints and Sinners. I don't suppose there is any mention of this thread on their roll call thread.
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.:D

Wow, two or three of us post on a controversial thread and....Oh, nevermind. I have been posting on this thread since it started thank you...;)

And no...nothing was mentioned on that thread.......

Personally, I could care less about the extra $5 bucks a day fuel charge. If you can afford to pay for a cruise, whats an extra $5 bucks a day going to do? Probably nothing!! Its a small price to pay for a vacation.

Where do you get $250,000 per day just for sailings from Florida? That would be 50,000 pax per day sailing from Florida, 350,000 per week, or over 18 million pax per year, just from Florida. There are only about 13 million pax per year cruising.

Just asking...

Where do you get $250,000 per day just for sailings from Florida? That would be 50,000 pax per day sailing from Florida, 350,000 per week, or over 18 million pax per year, just from Florida. There are only about 13 million pax per year cruising.

Just asking...

Rich, he used the CCC1234567 method of calculation... which is pull the number out of your hind quarters :p

Just asking...

Yeah, I did the math on that one too, but decided to just leave it.

Archived