Traveling with an O2 Concentrator -- Choices

Joy2Day

I'm getting ready to book a Mex. Riviera cruise out of LA. This will be my 1st cruise since I started needing oxygen for sleeping. My oxygen provider doesn't have any branches in California, so they can't really help. Nor do they have any continuous-flow travel units I can borrow. So far, the choices I have found are to rent a 15-lb travel unit from another supplier here in Omaha or to have a unit delivered to my hotel/ship in LA. Having one delivered is triple the cost to rent one locally.

Is it a hassle to take a travel concentrator on a plane? I won't need it to be operational while onboard, but I don't want to check it. Does it count as a carryon since it is not medically necessary during the flight? Do different airlines have different policies?

This is all very new and confusing to me.

As long as the airline accepts POC's there is little problem. If you take it with you on board it does not count toward your carryons but you will need a doctors note. Yes different airlines have different policies and some will not allow POC's on board.

If you are flying out a day early could you rent one and have it sent to the hotel that you will be staying at? But then you have have to have it ready to be shipped back to where you a renting it from. I personally have used Oxygen to Go and American Medical Sales and Repair for renting oxygen equipment for traveling. There is also a group called Sea Puffers that plans cruises.

Enjoy your cruise it will be wonderful.

We are flying Southwest. In the past, I've gotten conflicting answers on POC requirements from them. The stumbling block is that the policy is much clearer for when the unit will be required inflight. I had one rep tell me that I had to travel with 2 battery packs just in case the plane was delayed, even though I wouldn't be using it on the plane and wouldn't need any battery packs. If I didn't want to bring the battery packs, I could always check the machine as luggage. But I really don't want the unit out of my control.

Also, I talked to one of the companies that deliver to the ship. The weeklong rental fee wasn't too bad, but they want an additional $95 delivery if I need it at a hotel before/after.

I'm scheduled to retest at the end of the month. Maybe my results will be better, and I'll be able to go without oxygen for the pre-cruise stay or even the whole cruise.

Since most rentals come with a couple of batteries why not just get the info from the doctor and play the airlines game? You might find that you will feel just a little more secure with the O2 at your side if needed at the altitude. I am on O2 24/7 and when I flew last I made the error of taking my oxygen off for a quick trip to the restroom and had a lot of trouble getting back to my seat (about 6 feet distance). Airplanes are pressurized (sp?) at about 8,000 feet so you maybe a little uncomfortable. Double check all of this with your doctor. Good luck.

My rental place will charge $35 for each battery pack.

My situation is a little odd in that my sat levels are fine, but plunge in my sleep. Other than ruling out sleep apnea, the sleep study was inconclusive. I have flown recently without incident. Admittedly, those were shorter flights to places where my oxygen provider provided a loaner unit. I'm trying to figure all this out and find the "best" solution balancing time and convenience.

Thanks for all your help.

I wish I had an answer for you. I know when I rented the unit(s) they came with at least two batteries. Perhaps as you said at your next doctor visit the sats will be acceptable and you will not need the oxygen any longer. Maybe someone else will have another idea or suggestion.

I'd even settle with the dr. letting me go without the O2 for the 2 pre-cruise nights! As I understand it, I wear the O2 to help me get good restful sleep which helps with circulation. If I knock the O2 off in the night, I stay asleep and don't wake up gasping for air.

I've been on the O2 since August. There is so much that no one ever explained to me about all this. I was hospitalized with some heart problems. I was retaining fluids in my legs. Sleep apnea is one trigger for that, so they ran a quick sat test that first night. Based on that, they started me on nighttime O2. My sister (who is a cardiac nurse) took delivery of the home equipment on the day I was discharged. But I think a lot of things got overlooked in all the hubbub!

Thanks for your ideas! It is good to know that I'm not the only one that has to deal with this. Since August, I've done all the right things with diet, exercise, and weight loss which is why I'm hopeful that my levels will be ok.

My problem is COPD and I don't wake up gasping for air during the night, but I do wake up if the oxygen falls off.

Believe me nothing was lost or overlooked when your sister took delivery of the oxygen equipment unless your company is very different from those around here they just don't tell people anything and I think the same is true of the doctors. I have started a Better Breathers support group and I am so amazed at how little people are told about this disease and how little they are told on how to take care of themselves and the small things they can do to save energy. Oh, enought of my soap box. Again, I wish I could come up with a magical answer for you.

Please don't chance checking any medical equipment -

or medication.

We once had what should have been a very short flight

from Denver to San Francisco. Due to fog in San

Francisco all flights were cancelled in Denver - after

we had checked in. It took several hours until

flights were re-scheduled. Of course we missed our

original flight.

When we arrived in San Francisco - our baggage didn't

make the same flight. We waited for a couple

more flights and still no luggage nor my walker w/seat.

It took 2 more days on board for everything to catch

up with us ! Fortunately we had all medication

in our carry ons - but no change of clothes. And

I did have crutches. But the ship didn't even provide

a wheelchair in the interim.

Please don't chance checking any medical equipment -

or medication.

We once had what should have been a very short flight

from Denver to San Francisco. Due to fog in San

Francisco all flights were cancelled in Denver - after

we had checked in. It took several hours until

flights were re-scheduled. Of course we missed our

original flight.

When we arrived in San Francisco - our baggage didn't

make the same flight. We waited for a couple

more flights and still no luggage nor my walker w/seat.

It took 2 more days on board for everything to catch

up with us ! Fortunately we had all medication

in our carry ons - but no change of clothes. And

I did have crutches. But the ship didn't even provide

a wheelchair in the interim.

I completely agree. I am beyond speechless that someone in airline customer service would not understand why I am concerned about checking a piece of medical equipment.

suggest an inogen one for your travel.

Based on the information I've received so far, the SeQual Eclipse is the only approved continuous flow concentrator. However, Southwest Airlines's policies for portable concentrators really only address their onboard use. I don't get a consistent answer from Southwest regarding which [arts of the policy I will need to comply with in order to simply carryon the concentrator without needing to use it onboard. Carrying it with me has the potential to be the cheapest and easiest solution, providing the airline flight doesn't turn into an unnecessary hassle.

For example, Southwest's policies require enough battery packs for the duration of the flight plus an extra. Also, people using POCs are required to preboard and restricted to the window seat. Since I won't be using the POC onboard, am I still subject to these policies? If so, then renting locally becomes a bigger hassle.

Joy, I have really been thinking about this and you are required to have a form filled out from the doctor to take the oxygen on board (or I was) now if the doctor states that you need oxygen only at night (sleeping) I cannot see why they would give you any heartburn about taking the unit aboard with you. I would talk to a supervisor or top management at Southwest and get their answer in writing. I had a problem with US Air, wrote a letter no reply, then sent my letter to the Department of Transportation with a copy to US Air and had a phone call with 24 hours from the Assistant to the President of the airlines.

now if the doctor states that you need oxygen only at night (sleeping) I cannot see why they would give you any heartburn about taking the unit aboard with you. I would talk to a supervisor or top management at Southwest and get their answer in writing.

I agree. Good suggestion about getting a written answer from someone up the chain. My fear is that I would run into a "not so reasonable" person. When I called them, I got 2 different answers -- The first rep was "by the book" that you must comply with all the conditions. The second rep agreed that many clauses only pertain to onboard use.

I hope to retest in the next 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ... I've only recently been diagnosed with low blood oxygen and sleep apnea.

My doc feels that the machines used on flights don't deliver consistant enough air, so he doesn't recommend them. Checking with Delta, at least domestically, for $200/rt you can get oxygen directly from the aircraft.

I haven't checked with any international carries as yet, as we want to fly to Australia for a cruise, to see what they can do for us. That flight is 19-20+ hours so batteries wouldn't do us any good. I may get lucky and be able to come off the day time oxygen, diet & exercise, by the time we would go.

Has anyone who needed day time oxygen, traveled in a foreign country and if so, what problems if any, did you encounter.

Thanks. Jean

Jean,

I don't have any concrete information for you, but I want to encourage you to keep asking questions. I haven't gotten a lot of information from my primary care doctor or cardiologist. The most helpful information has been from the therapists at my O2 supplier and from nurses that work for a sleep clinic.

I can appreciate all the questions that you must have about adapting to all of this. I am hoping that you can work all this out and enjoy your vacation!

Karla

• 1 month later...

I am updating this thread with my experience.

As a reminder, I was able to go without nighttime oxygen for the pre-cruise 2-night stay. I used Special Needs at Sea to get a concentrator for the ship.

The equipment was in my room when I boarded around 12:30 pm. The only issue was that the tubing to allow use of the humidifier cup was missing, so I wasn't able to use that. I did not notice this until after we sailed.

Since I was in a standard inside cabin, floor space was minimal. Even the space beneath the desk was taken up by a refrigerator for my cabin mate's insulin. So, each morning I rolled the concentrator into the closet.

• 6 years later...

Well, we took that flite to Australia and rented on board oxygen from Delta. Long story short, after take off it turned out one tank didn't work .. so no oxygen which was for half the flight. So I just relaxed and stayed steady on slow deep breathing. Oh, by the way, the attendant wasn't the least concerned. Half way thru flight had to change change seats for access to the other tank, which worked. In Sydney we had to get off, and re board the same plane but guess what .. no oxygen. I managed without any problem, but got a refund from Delta. My oxygen levels stayed in the safe zone, 92-94 so didn't panic and I haven't bothered with oxygen on board since then.

Just recently we purchased the new Inogen One, no longer need to bother with the liquid tanks and will be able to use the portable for touring, which I had been doing without but did need. Got extra batteries so I can use on a future flite to Europe although I don't think I really need it.