Open Dining with Allergy

GeriatricNurse

It's okay to be "snarky," Peter. :D I developed all these allergies in the last few years (which is very unusual--and I'll spare you the long explanation), and prior to that I really didn't understand all the "fuss" over allergies. And, yes, I was probably snarky at times. :rolleyes:

I will say I am a bit concerned about being in a dining room full of seafood--but life's short, so I'm gonna do it. But, we will not be doing the "Deadliest Catch" tour in Ketchikan, even though I think it would be fascinating. Just thinking about being on a boat full of crabs is making me itch. :eek:

Thanks for the responses. I've only had to live with this for a few years, so I'm still adjusting. But I'm determined to not let it spoil my vacation. :)

Sheri

Based on our one HAL open dining cruise, the diet information may be in the dining room computers. Just quessing. It seemed that the head steward always knew we were vegetarian, needed to see the next nights menu etc. I assume it would be the same for food allergies. Our waiter always knew if either of us had ordered any items from the veg menu. We ate at different tables each night. It works slightly more smoothly with traditional dining, but not enough to be of concern. We couldn't get traditional for our upcoming cruise and weren't concerned enough to waitlist. Overall we were happy with our open dining experience.

Based on our one HAL open dining cruise, the diet information may be in the dining room computers. Just quessing.
One thing we noticed on our recent Rotterdam cruise was that whenever we were seated at an 'open' seating (breakfast/lunch - we had a traditional set dinner time), we had to give all of our cabin numbers when entering the dining room. They were entered into a computer. Maybe an 'alert' would be shown for those with food allergies/concerns. This was the first time any of us had experienced this occurring - and between all of us we had in the neighborhood of 1,400 - 1,500 days on HAL.

How may she be assured that she will be not be served any food items containing nuts, in either solid or crushed form, considering that we will dining at a different table, with different wait staff as well in different dining venues?

AYWD simply will be too risky for you. Having a different waitstaff every night leaves too much to chance. Have your TA contact HAL and explain the situation and get your group switched to the fixed seating time of your choice.

If, in the unlikely event that HAL can't accommodate you, then I would suggest you insist on a set dining time and table (as well as wait staff) in the AYWD section so that in effect, while you are assigned to AYWD, you actually have fixed seating and have the same wait staff each night. This way they will become familiar with her allegy to nuts and you can do the same routine with the menus for the next evening as you previously did in fixed dining.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I will say I am a bit concerned about being in a dining room full of seafood--but life's short, so I'm gonna do it.

Sheri -

For us, on the Noordam, the only nights DH had an issue in the dining room were the "formal" ones with lots of lobster/crab being served.

We were actually advised to NOT eat in the dining room on the Noordam and to have our meal delivered to the suite instead on those specific nights by the Assistant Maitre D' (who had a shellfish allergy - but not as severe as DH). It was discussed all around and the Assistant Maitre D' and servers advised that the ventilation may not be good enough considering we were "main" traditional and the deck below us was AYWD - which makes for "constant" serving of the shellfish throughout the dining times.

We normally would just accelerate our dining (just salad and entree and "run" :D ), but it worked out fine with having dinner in the suite (except for our neighbors who made rude comments about us "not" getting dressed to go to dinner :rolleyes: even though we were in our own cabin - and stayed there - and just had to answer the door so the food could be brought in).

So, just be prepared to have to adjust your dining a bit. If you aren't severely allergic via the airborne issue, then you will be much luckier.

Thanks for the suggestion about formal night(s). That was the one I was concerned about, with all the seafood. But, I've been looking forward to dressing up. :(

I think I'll go "test" my allergies locally. Last year, just walking by an outdoor seafood establishment made me start to itch. :eek:

But in recent months, reactions to other foods have gotten much less severe than they used to be--praise God. :)

So I guess I better go "test the waters" before boarding a cruise ship. :D

Sheri

Grandson has a peanut and shellfish allergy. He's still small and is a picky eater so we did not have any problem on the Zuiderdam in February, think he stayed with chicken, steak and FF!!! But the DR supervisor, think that's what he was (while dinner jacket) came by every night to check on things.

Also other son's GF does not eat red meat and she was given a special menu every night after dinner to see if she would like to pick one of the veggie entrees being served the next night.

I was worried about grandson before the cruise but he did fine, no emergencies.

I feel so much for all of you out there with food allergies and applaud you for venturing out to cruise and for dealing with your allergies in such a positive way:)

It isn't different. It's just that it would be nice to be able to do it all ONCE instead of starting over every single night.

Also, I think there are fewer dishes where they hide shellfish than dishes where they hide nuts, sesame, peanuts, etc.

We tend not to go to new restaurants very often, and when we do, we hold up the service for quite some time discussing allergy issues. That doesn't matter as much when it's just us at the table, but if we're dining with others I could see it get tiring.

Imagine if you had a WHEAT allergy....

Anyone with severe food allergies should have their TA file same with the ship. There are forms to do so with almost every allergy. We have done this for many clients, and you are correct, the gluten free was the trickiest by far!

but it worked out fine with having dinner in the suite (except for our neighbors who made rude comments about us "not" getting dressed to go to dinner :rolleyes: even though we were in our own cabin - and stayed there - and just had to answer the door so the food could be brought in).

Some people need to get a life! If you decide to eat in your own cabin it is none of their dam business (unless you are throwing chicken bones and beer cans over the balcony divider!).

Anyone with severe food allergies should have their TA file same with the ship. There are forms to do so with almost every allergy. We have done this for many clients, and you are correct, the gluten free was the trickiest by far!

Is there a need to have the TA do it? I contact HAL directly and faxed the appropriate forms to ship's services. I also plan to check in with the dining hall manager our first day, and most likely to arrange a standing reservation at the same table/same waiter (since we have open dining).

Hi Two, I've sailed many times on HAL. I was on the Westerdam last week. I have a nut allergy. I had faxed the form directly to both HAl and my travel agent several months before the cruise. The week before my cruise, I got an e mail from my TA that HAL had contacted them asking me to submit my form! I faxed them back the form I had originally sent them along with their reply.

Once onboard the ship, we were assigned traditional dining. I was pleased, however, we had a problem with that because of a large group onboard. I asked to be moved to As You Wish Dining at a fixed table at the same time each night. I was turned down. They said they couldn't do that. Instead, they moved us to another table in traditional dining. Overall, we were happy with the resolution. However, I got the sense from people on our cruise that standing reservations in AYWD are hard to come by for some people, allergy or not. Some are able to get a standing reservation, some are not. Also, since they have cut back on dining room staff by eliminating the Dining Room Supervisors, it is harder to get attention if you have an allergy.

Also, since they have cut back on dining room staff by eliminating the Dining Room Supervisors, it is harder to get attention if you have an allergy.

What was the job of a Supervisor? Was that sort of like a captain -- in charge of a few waiters?

Is it possible to get lists of ingredients in everything? That would be the safest. We don't have deathly allergies to just being near something, and have never had trouble with minuscule amounts of cross-contamination -- just if there is an actual ingredient.

The supervisors were the waitstaff in the white coats. Each had a dining room section that they oversaw. They would stop by table to chat and see if everything was okay. They'd prepare special desserts. They'd help clear or pour wine if the regular steward were busy. They oversaw the flow in the dining room. Most importantly, they'd give me the menu each night for the next day and explain the dishes and answer any questions I had. Then they'd place my order separately with the kitchen. Now the waiter gives you the menu for the next day but is not able to answer questions. You have to trust that he understands and that food will come out okay the next day. It felt a lot less certain to me.

There are still two Assistant Maitre 'D's at the entrance to the dining room. They seem to stay at the entrance and don't get involved in service or interacting with passengers. This is a huge change for HAL. I questioned it while onboard, and was told that it's the new HAL system initiated from Seattle.

Is there a need to have the TA do it? I contact HAL directly and faxed the appropriate forms to ship's services. I also plan to check in with the dining hall manager our first day, and most likely to arrange a standing reservation at the same table/same waiter (since we have open dining).

No, you have done exactly what I would have done for you as a client, most clients are not as well traveled or know a particular travel vendor as well as everyone here knows HAL!:D

Once onboard the ship, we were assigned traditional dining. I was pleased, however, we had a problem with that because of a large group onboard. I asked to be moved to As You Wish Dining at a fixed table at the same time each night. I was turned down. They said they couldn't do that. Instead, they moved us to another table in traditional dining. Overall, we were happy with the resolution. However, I got the sense from people on our cruise that standing reservations in AYWD are hard to come by for some people, allergy or not. Some are able to get a standing reservation, some are not. Also, since they have cut back on dining room staff by eliminating the Dining Room Supervisors, it is harder to get attention if you have an allergy.

My Dad has severe allergies (we submitted the form and doctors info too) and had AYWD - no hope of traditional. They had to call each morning to request the same table/waiter (this was the Noordam in October). It was OK for them since they are early risers and eat early so they took the 5:30 or 5:45 time (whichever they told was available that night at that table). They had great attention from the Assistant Maitre D' and we did also (my DH also has bad allergies and we were on the Noordam this February). Maybe we were just lucky.

I have a wheat allergy (fortunately, it's not too severe yet...)

My TA contacted HAL before my last cruise and I received a form asking what I wanted to be served gluten free in advance, then telling me that if I wanted more than 2 items a day of gluten-free replacements (such as wheat-free bread) that there would be an extra charge. Incidentally, HAL considers a slice of bread as "one food item", so a single sandwich would fill my wheat-free quota for the day.

Since I never know what I'd like to eat tomorrow much less several weeks in advance, I just ignored the whole thing and eat my way around the menus avoiding certain items like I normally do when I dine out at home.

We were on a 7-day cruise on the Veendam in December '06.

A gentleman at our table had a severe wheat/gluten allergy.

Each night the Assistant Maitre D' went over the next night's menu with him and let know how which items were gluten free and which items they could alter to make gluten free. I don't remember whether there was also a separate gluten-free menu.

I was very impressed. It seemed like excellent service to me.

We were on a 7-day cruise on the Veendam in December '06.

A gentleman at our table had a severe wheat/gluten allergy.

Each night the Assistant Maitre D' went over the next night's menu with him and let know how which items were gluten free and which items they could alter to make gluten free. I don't remember whether there was also a separate gluten-free menu.

I was very impressed. It seemed like excellent service to me.

This is good news - Thanks for sharing it!

Interesting to read this thread. As usual, people who are not involved with someone who has a very serious allergy really do not appreciate the difficulty it creates, not only for the person with the allergy and their companion, but also to the wait staff et al. We carry an Epipen as my wife has a serious allergy. I have the problem explained in fourteen different languages including Vietnamese and Japanese which helps tremendously in many LAND places (since someone asked). However, to be required to go thru the explanation each night at dinner is not only very tiring but embarrassing to the one with the problem.

The proper solution is to have the same wait staff at every meal - otherwise, I will guarantee (from forty years experience accompanying someone with a serious allergy) - something will go wrong and that is not what a vacation is all about.

harry

Harry, you are a gem. Like my very patient and DH, you get the seriousness of the situation. I don't enjoy having the "nut allergy conversation" during each meal I eat either on land or at sea. It's amazing how often the nut allergy becomes the focus of the dinner table conversation. For me, it gets old fast and it is embarassing. I fear that the cruise lines, with all their cut backs, are getting less and less in tune with this issue. But, having more than once been accidently served a dessert with nuts in a land-based restaurant, I can vouch for the seriousness and truly emergency resonse needed. People can and do die from allergies. Fortunately, I'm still cruising and haven't had that outcome!

Archived