Liquor & Istanbul

lilybug

Getting on cruise in Istanbul. I don't mind packing a bottle of liquor for my husband, but red wine is my drink and I do like to have some in our cabin for those times when you just don't want to go get one. Anyone familiar with either the airport or city or port of Istanbul - any knowledge about what I may find in the way of wine selection? My favorites are Italian, followed by French - what are the chances? I appreciate any input!

Please understand that Turkey is a Muslim country, but has a rather relaxed attitude toward alcohol. You will find bars and lounges throughout Istanbul.

There are stores where you may buy almost all major brands of wine and the "other stuff", but bear in mind that it is imported - and you will be paying a hefty duty. Turkey has some very good wines of their own, but sorry, I don't remember any particular brand - we usually took the server's advice on what to have.

As for your personal use, I would suggest you make your purchase as a duty free shop in an airport - and bring it in with you.

Archived