Just off Costa Fortuna cruise 01/06-01/13/08

Want to Sail Away

Just got off the Costa Fortuna on the 13th of January and thought I would share what our experience was. After reading several reviews, good and bad we went on board with an open mind hoping the positive would outway the negative:) . To give you a background, we are a family of 4, with 2 teenagers. We have gone on several cruises (approx 10) 2 italian lines and the rest Carnival. We have travelled through Europe on several occasions and have always enjoyed and appreciated the differences we find in other cultures. Overall, we found mostly good things. The staff was always polite, kind and approachable. They would sometimes come over to our table just to talk or see what we were doing. The only one time that we were dissappointed was when an elderly gentleman fell on the tender boat, striking his side and we asked one of the security guards to come and assist. He said he didn't know what to do and hoped the problem would just disappear. We insisted that if he didn't know what to do than go get someone who did! He did go and the gentleman and spouse were assisted off the tender to seek medical attention.

Our cabin steward "Cristian" was fabulous, always friendly and our room was always tidied. Our waitress and dining room staff were great too. The service, on a couple of occasions was a little slow but for the most part excellent. The food was good but honestly not as good as Carnival. Carnival seems to have much more assortment and caters to a much more diverse crowd. The availablity of lemonade and fruit punch was really missed by all of us. We did bring crystal light flavor packs and brought 6 sodas each on boarding to the ship so that definitely helped. Also brought on some wine too. No problems!

Another huge bonus for us was deck towels being available without signing them out like Carnival. No fears of someone stealing your towels on the last day and you being stuck with a $20.00 fee!

The shows were for the most part really good but be sure not to miss the toga party! What a blast! Best entertainment of the week. The theatre was packed, almost everyone in a toga, armed with noise makers cheering on the guest talent show with Mark Anthony and Cleopatria. Don't miss this!!!!!

Overall I would do a Costa cruise again, I certainly didn't lose any weight! In fact we all gained on average 5lbs each so the food isn't that bad!!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Our ports of call were Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Grand Turk.:D

:o Forgot to mention we bought the boys and girls booklet and it is definitely worth it if you use it for smoothies, milkshakes and frozen mocktails! Also talked to several other guests that used the x-1 and said they definitely got there monies worth in beer, wine etc and would recommend it as well. Overall after talking to other guests, approx. 8 or 10, they said they would do another Costa cruise but also hope they expand the buffet menus as well!!

Thanks for the quickie review. We're going on the Fortuna with friends this Sunday. We made togas to bring with us, hoping that there would be a good turnout. Sounds like there will be. Were there any beverages on the lido? Anything else we shouldn't miss? Thanks, Georgetta

Great info! We're leaving March 2nd on the Fortuna with our 3 boys. We'll be stopping at same ports. Did you need to buy a drink card for each of your children or is it a coupon book that they can share? Did anyone try parasailing? 12yr old wants to try with me.

Hi again,

On the night of the toga party, I didn't venture back up to the Lido deck to see if there was any drinks up there. Sorry! I hadn't finished my packing yet and the latest time for luggage was 1am!

3petitgarcon....we bought 1 coupon book for the 2 kids that they shared. They both had coupons left on the last day that they quickly used up. I think the coupons lasted so long since we smuggled 30 cans of soda on board too! Just split them up amongst all of you! None of us did the parasailing this time but I have done it in the past in Mexico and had a blast.

Bird67, We've been to some of the ports before so we kind of knew where we wanted to go. In Cozumel we took a cab to Playa Mia beach (not sure of spelling). You can book the excursion with the ship for around $30.00 each, including drinks but we just paid $13 us each at the gate and bought our own beer. It worked out much cheaper for us. In Jamaica we booked a tour with Marva Shaw at "knowjamaica.com" and did Dunns river falls/beach and shopping however we ran out of time to do it all. I would recommend them. We had a really good time. They were punctual and we were late, hence we didn't get to do everything.

akacake....Grand Turks has a terrific port with a pool and beach literally right where you get off the ship! It really is beautiful if you want to just soak up the sun and swim. As far as snorkelling not the best there, but research it further because I know there is good snorkelling to be had. We took a taxi down town to "Cocktown" I think the name was and really there was nothing to be seen. I was talking to some people who rented goft carts and explored the countryside and had a blast. Next time I think I'll do the same and bring my snorkel gear with me!

Hope this helps! We really had a great trip and hope all of you have a positive experience too!

Archived