Best Shopping

chirpy007

Sorry im easily confused :confused: im doing the Western Caribbean tour and thought i read that the best bargains shopping wise were in GC. I have just read something else saying its the most expensive. So which port am i better off doing so duty free in.

Ocho Rios

GC

Cozumel

Thanks

Grand Cayman is probably the most expensive island in the Caribbean or one of them. They have the most banks per person then just about anyplace in the world.

With your itinerary Cozumel is going to have the best bargains. I love shopping there.

Grand Cayman is probably the most expensive island in the Caribbean or one of them. They have the most banks per person then just about anyplace in the world.

With your itinerary Cozumel is going to have the best bargains. I love shopping there.

Thanks Sue :D

Cozumel shopping is your best bet on that route. There is a wonderful store in the downtown area - within walking distance. Viva Mexico has nice items and the employees take care to wrap your purchases in heavy paper so your gifts don't get broken going home. I have some nice pottery pieces that made it home just fine. I don't think I have ever bought anything for the house in GC. The prices are horrible.

I agree with the other posters - Cozumel is your best bet. Plus the shopping is in an "easy" strip layout. I don't know if I remember a ton of knock off stuff in any of those ports. Based on my experience, the majority of shopping in the Caribbean is focused on jewlery (mid to high end) rather than lots of local crafts, etc. Some ports are better than others :)

Not really :D perhaps some inspiration LOL. A fake Gucci watch might be nice :D

I got beautiful paper mache fruit and vegetables there and put it is a mahogany bowl that I had gotten in Roatan and a diamond tennis bracelet also there. They also have lots of onyx items which are beautiful if you don't have to lug the heavy stuff on a plane. Very eclectic shopping.:D

Besides Viva Mexico, does anyone have names of other stores where the merchandise is good and the prices are fair? I'll be in Cozumel next week.

I don't remember any other names of the stores in Cozumel but there are a few nice crafty places on the strip if you are looking for more than tee shirts, etc. Just up from Viva Mexico is a town square. If you make a right at that area and browse around I think you will find some less trinkety stuff. We actually walked about 4 blocks into that area and it was interesting. The last time I was in Cozumel I was not prepared for how aggressive the jewelry shop people had become. There were also hawkers for beach front property. One man even yelled out to my SO that he had dropped his wallet - which he hadn't. When I realized what was going on I walked right up to the hawker and started telling him what I thought of his games. Has anyone else had that experience in Cozumel? I truthfully was surprised to see that stuff going on there.

You might try Los Cinco Soles , has really different merchandise, fashions, jewelry, pottery, all kinds of things, plus there is a terrrific restaurant Pancho's Back Yard, great marguaritas!!!:) It's along the main street kind of away from the international market, but ask anyone and they will direct you, no problem. Have a great trip:)

You might try Los Cinco Soles , has really different merchandise, fashions, jewelry, pottery, all kinds of things, plus there is a terrrific restaurant Pancho's Back Yard, great marguaritas!!!:) It's along the main street kind of away from the international market, but ask anyone and they will direct you, no problem. Have a great trip:)

Nice leather goods and great knock off purses a little further up from Los Cincos Soles toward the pier. I can't remember the name of the shop, but I got some really nice leather goods there.

Archived