help~Formal fashion ideas/examples from BBW women--PLEASE

CharlotteCpl

That dress is not formal. It does not follow the dress code. dresses are resort casual. For Formal you need a gown,Cocktail dress or pantsuit.

That dress is most certainly a cocktail dress! What in the world are you talking about? It's a cocktail dress in every sense of a cocktail dress... and please, explain to this woman, who has been going to formal functions for over 20 years, what the difference is between "cocktail wear" and a "cocktail dress"? It makes no sense... And what is funny, is all this time, I truly thought you were a guy!!! WOW!

That is Cocktail wear,not a Cocktail dress. The Formal dinner calls for Formal,and a cocktail dress is acceptable.

FTLOG, it's a cocktail dress! Maybe you would prefer the Cunard board- perhaps they would meet your standards:rolleyes: . Oh, and BTW, the quote from Carnival is that the style of dress each night is suggested. Geesh :cool: ...

I think that is a great dress for a formal night. I too am a BBW and would love to find something like that. ALSO, I have seen women in the dinning room on formal night in what most would call a fancy sun dress to very plain dress's to a dress you would wear to a ball. Nothing said to any of them. So IMHO I think that dress would be very nice for a formal night.

Have a great time on your cruise!

That dress is not formal. It does not follow the dress code. dresses are resort casual. For Formal you need a gown,Cocktail dress or pantsuit.

That is a cocktail dress. I've got a very similar one in gray, bought in the special occasion (or whatever they call that dept) in Macys. I think the black is gorgeous, myself.

ok---I had been trying to decide about a couple of dresses and have now chosen my favorite one. I still need help in deciding which shoes. I have ranked them in order of fave to least fave(1-8). Pick a number of which would go best/cutest/etc.

Could anyone also possibly tell me the avg cost of getting a style done at the salon for formal night?

THANKS AGAIN

I like these for that dress ;) It's not on your list though.. they are from David's Bridal.. if I had to pick from the list.. I'd pick #4

S07_Joanie_Black.jpg

That is Cocktail wear,not a Cocktail dress. The Formal dinner calls for Formal,and a cocktail dress is acceptable.

Well, as a reporter on a fashion beat, I think that it's perfectly fine as formal attire for a cruise ship. I've seen outfits that are far more casual at black tie events.

And on that note, I think it's a lovely dress.

That dress kicks butt!! It would be acceptable anywhere with the possible exception of a white tie event

I like shoe #7. I think the detail on the shoe matches the detail on the bodice of the dress. I also think it's the "classiest" shoe in the bunch even though the rest are nice.

FYI......

Black Tie, Formal, Dressy Casual and More!

Banish pre-party jitters about attire with our quick reference to dress codes for social events.

A Black Tie invitation calls for formal attire. Men wear tuxedos, women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

Formal usually means the same as Black Tie, but in some trendier cities like New York or Los Angeles, it could mean a black shirt, no tie with a tux. Women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

</B>

Cocktail Attire means short, elegant dresses for her and dark suits for him.

Boy, are we being technical.

What are you trying to prove here:confused: ?Its a vey nice dress.

My sister owns a bridal shop in Daytona and I showed her your replies and she states the dress is fine for a Formal dinner on a ship and when worn with one of the very nice shoes the OP is looking at will look great. She said she also knows what you are talking about and states you are right as far as your technical Cocktail wear versus Cocktail dress goes,but this is a cruise ship,not the Royal ball:rolleyes: .

For those taht want to know what CCC is saying is a Cocktail dress by todays standards (but wait,that will change again and again)for a Formal occaision is 2" above the knee, and a Gown reaches the ankles.

Cocktail wear is a fancy dress such as the OPs.

Another type of dress style is called "Fancy dress"

So give her a break.:)

Sorry for the delay in reply. I found the dress in a Lane Bryant catalog. For the photo, I found it on lane bryant catalog dot com. I am still looking around for shoes(budget), but found these great shoes online. I am hoping I can find something similar around here locally.

Looks like I will be doin my hair myself. Now for the next question--- updo for the hair, or down and wavy? My hair isnt very thick, but is rather long(small of my back). I dont have bangs cut. Not sure which is better suited to the occassion/dress. To updo or not updo----that is the question.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP!;)

Since when is that not a cocktail dress??? Looks fine to me!! On our last cruise I wore a gorgeous white dress that I got on clearance from Coldwater Creek - they have lots of big girl clothes in really cute styles. Also, check some of the e-bay stores - there are some really nice gowns and cocktail dresses on there as well. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Looks like I will be doin my hair myself. Now for the next question--- updo for the hair, or down and wavy? My hair isnt very thick, but is rather long(small of my back). I dont have bangs cut. Not sure which is better suited to the occassion/dress. To updo or not updo----that is the question

Definately the updo... It's a special night, you are wearing a special dress, special shoes- you should have special hair....

I vote updo

I love the dress! Wish I had seen it in time! I, too, am a BBW and this will be the first time I've worn real formal/cocktail dresses on a cruise. I found two dresses at http://www.igigi.com. I also did a search at the time and found promotional codes online to receive 30% off. I'm a little leary of my shoies, but if all else fails I will just remove them!

Be careful getting your hair done at the salon. It seems that on formal nights they try to do too many. I had mine done a few years ago on Victory and was almost late for the dinner bell. My husband was furious. Make sure you get an early appt. It took 1 1/2 hrs and they didn't even have to wash my hair. Most of the time was waiting for an updo.

I can't imagine this dress not being acceptable. It's lovely. I agree with others who point out that lower heels may be better for you. I have a pair I love. . .simple black ones that I add dressy clips to and they look like I have two different pairs of shoes for the two different nights. In any case, enjoy!

In my opinion, if there are rhinestones on a dress in the manner those are on that dress, it is a cocktail dress in every sense of the word. The way the dress is made makes it appear formal, even though it's short. Add a couple inches and it's a long formal -- not long cocktail wear. Therefore, it's a cocktail dress and a VERY pretty one at that!

I say go with #4 on the shoes. I think all black would look best instead of the ones with rhinestones. If you're going to get ones with rhinestones see if you can get one where it's just a hint -- the buckle or something to that effect. Then you can put a pretty bracelet on and some great earrings and you're set!

How does your hubby like you hair? That's how I would wear it if I were you. You're dressing for him -- nobody else :)

:cool: :cool: give it up!! Wear what you want and she can wear what she wants. I and many others will be dressing like her. But thanks for the fashion lesson.:cool: :cool:

That dress is perfect for formal night! And you will look beeeuuuutiful! I do have one question though. I am also a BBW, how do you keep the BBB (big beautiful boobies) where they are suppose to be instead of heading south for the winter?:eek: Is the back high enough to wear a bra? Perhaps a halter bra?

That dress is perfect for formal night! And you will look beeeuuuutiful! I do have one question though. I am also a BBW, how do you keep the BBB (big beautiful boobies) where they are suppose to be instead of heading south for the winter?:eek: Is the back high enough to wear a bra? Perhaps a halter bra?

Well, I bought(on ebay) a couple of years ago a merry widow--kinda like a bustier. That way I have all the support and no straps. I havent had a chance to truly wear it with clothes, so this will be my chance to wear it. I mainly bought it for the sexy/lingerie quality of it. I am happy that I have a chance to use it for its true purpose.

Archived