help~Formal fashion ideas/examples from BBW women--PLEASE

CharlotteCpl

Off subject here for a sec...

CharlotteCpl: My parents were snowbirds, and stayed in the Eustis/ Umatilla area! NO ONE ever knows where that is. 'Till now.;)

AND, I lived in the Charlotte/ Rock Hill area for a couple of years!

small world...:)

Okay, back on subject.

The dress looks great. Enjoy your evening! Post pics when you get back!

I have strange feet. So I have to look long and hard for a pair of shoes that feel right.

Currently I have a pair of flat sandles that amazingly I can wear without any problems. But most of the time, I have to add inserts to my shoes to get them to feel right.

I usually buy black shoes so no matter what dress I put on, I am matched.

Charlotte: I still think a nice black shawl is all you need for this dress. IMO a full jacket type cover up would take away from the front of the dress & appear as if you just threw something together. Although I do think the beaded jacket as shown is very nice, just not with this dress.

Sorry Wanasail but I have to disagree but then my dear I'm only speaking for myself I think a shawl would just add too much layering and bulk. A loose below the hip jacket would give a nice neat line and flow and have a slimming effect (and don't y'all want that for ourselves).

Great find neverthought! Sorry sweet Charlotte to be discussing you so personally...where are you??

I won the bid on a beautiful formal long gown with matching long jacket today. I can't wait to get it. It Cruise Critic will allow me to post the pic, I will send it when it gets here. Been having problems uploading photos. It comes up Error on page. any suggestions? May have to upload it on hubbys site and post it there.

She is perfectly fine wearing that dress, and yes it is a beautiful cocktail dress. Why do some of you think that if your not wearing a long flowing gown then you are underdressed. I think that was a little rude. If you want to wear a gown then do it, but maybe some (like me) DON'T!

You go girl! The dress is great and so are shoes # 1. You rock it!

Here's my dress ladies:

1583245818_greendress.jpg.5b7755ad4b19681ca1e4289834ce471a.jpg

that is almost like the dress my DD is wearing in the above photo.

I agree. if you want to wear your Sunday best, then that is formal enough. I personally see no sense in a man carrying a 3000$ tux on board a ship to wear one time maybe 2. I think a man is dressed up as long as he does not have on bluejeans, and a t-shirt. A pair of dress pants, a nice vest and shirt with a tie, that is fine.

As for women. If the dress is a nice dress, then it is formal enough. Especially when you get to be as big as some of us are, then you wear what you feel comfortable in, and you are formal enough.

that is almost like the dress my DD is wearing in the above photo.

I agree. if you want to wear your Sunday best, then that is formal enough. I personally see no sense in a man carrying a 3000$ tux on board a ship to wear one time maybe 2. I think a man is dressed up as long as he does not have on bluejeans, and a t-shirt. A pair of dress pants, a nice vest and shirt with a tie, that is fine.

As for women. If the dress is a nice dress, then it is formal enough. Especially when you get to be as big as some of us are, then you wear what you feel comfortable in, and you are formal enough.

I'm with you! If you don't feel comfortable in gowns then don't wear one. Who cares what the dress snobs think!

Vintage,

That's a great dress, I myself, don't wear dresses...I don't like the way I look in them. So I'll wear a dressy pants outfit, with great accessories and shoes. DH is not comfortable in a tux, so he'll wear slacks, shirt, tie and jacket. Our train of thought is....if we are looking neat and clean , comfortable in our clothes then we are dressed A OK! We just plan on enjoying ourselves and meeting new people.

Neverthought

I think that dress will be perfect for your formal night! It is similar to the ones my friends and I will be wearing. I think formal can mean many things so please don't listen to people who tell you it isn't formal enough. That's ridiculolus. Both of my "formal" night dresses fall just past the knee and neither have fancy beading or anything. As long as it is elegant. I think you'll find that the ladies in the long, super fancy, beaded, over the top dresses are in the minority on most mainstream cruise lines.

I agree with some of the others about the shoes. Watch out for those heels!! I even had issues with little short heels! Nothing would look worse than a pretty girl in a pretty dress falling on her pretty butt.

Karen :)

[ATTACH]69496[/ATTACH]

Here is the dress I just purchased. Still waiting on it to arrive. Won on Ebay auction.

Fllady,

Very nice dress, love the long duster with it. You will be able to dress it up if you so desire. Great win....I'm thoroughly hooked on ebay, lol.

Neverthought

Fllady,

Very nice dress, love the long duster with it. You will be able to dress it up if you so desire. Great win....I'm thoroughly hooked on ebay, lol.

Neverthought

I got a real pretty pink one last fall for our fall cruise. Got a lot of compliments on it, but it is just at the knee, and I like something longer. Not that I don't wear it, I do. I just put a pair of white shorts under it so I don't feel so bla under it. Plus since the skirt is full, if the wind blows the wrong way, i am not showing it all. LOL....

1 week to go before my next cruise.

YEA....

Charlotte cpl,

You started this thread and we haven't seen or heard from you in a while. Hope all is well... you must be getting very excited you sail in less than 2 weeks. I have over 3 months and I'm excited, so you must be beside yourself! Hope you have a fantastic cruise and enjoy everything. Please be sure to let us all know how it went. Have a wonderful time and enjoy it all.

Neverthought

Charlotte cpl,

You started this thread and we haven't seen or heard from you in a while. Hope all is well... you must be getting very excited you sail in less than 2 weeks. I have over 3 months and I'm excited, so you must be beside yourself! Hope you have a fantastic cruise and enjoy everything. Please be sure to let us all know how it went. Have a wonderful time and enjoy it all.

Neverthought

Was wondering the same thing dear...we invested all that thought in Charlotte's outfit and where is Charlotte??!!

that is strange that she just dropped off the face of Cruise Critic.

We sail in 7 days. can't wait. just a 3 nighter, but we need the get away.

Fllady,

Have a wonderful time, that is a nice little break and what a get away. No cooking, cleaning just relaxing and having someone else cook and clean up. Yippee!

Neverthought

regarding your hair .... could you do half up, then what is still hanging down, do spiral curls?

I've done that before when my hair was one length, and it was stunning.

and, great choice on the dress... and from what i remember of your shoe collection... i liked #3.

I can't wear thin heels, and prefer a thicker, chunkier heel.

Archived