Lamanai & New River Safari

2cruzall

DH and I have booked this excursion during our 2/2/08 cruise on the SUN. Would like to know if there is anything that we shouldn't forget to bring on this excursion (bug spray, etc...)? Also, is anyone else signed up for this...wouldn't mind making some new friends? :)

enjoy the trip, the river ride is a blast, the ruins are in great shape.

we didn't see that much wildlife, but it's possible. have your camera ready!

we had problems, with bug bites, in quirigua(guatemala)...nothing at lamanai. but we had the spray, just in case. watch for the monkeys, they stay in the trees...but it's cool to watch the tree tops sway.

Cathi, Thank you for the reply. Todd (DH) and I (Jaimie) are looking forward to visiting the Mayan Ruins....it will definitely be a change of scenery.

We are getting excited for our cruise on the SUN (2/2/08) and I have already started to pack, lol.

Cheers!

Jaimie

:)

I agree with Toyz711 - use bug repellent - just in case - and bring your camera! We were at Lamanai in Feb 07 and once we got under the canopy there were some mosquitoes, but he repellent did the job.

I would also recommend that you wear good shoes - no flip flops or sandals - especially if you want to climb the temple. I wore long pants and hiking boots, which I found to be helpful (they were lightweight, Tencel, cargo pants) my DP wore shorts and sneakers.

Oops - one more thing ..... If you do climb the temple do not forget to take photos of yourselves up there. We forgot because it was such an exhilarating experience (OK - we are not great with heights) that we forgot and now wish I had them.

Have fun, you will really enjoy it.

you can only climb one of the temples. they have a rope to help you. we did a ship excursion...as we boarded the river boat, this kid came with us. i thought he was with the boat, but he stayed with his around lamanai. very soon you could see what he was there for, he helped this older lady around the tree roots, mud puddlles and up the wooden steps. at the point, where you can climb the temple, we had a old gentleman that tried to climb...on the ground, his wife was having a fit..it seemed he had just had new knees put in and she was scared he would lose his balance. as i heard this..suddenly this kid ran past me and up the temple to this gentleman. helped him up and followed him down, gave other suggestions to make their climb easier.

i lose my balance going DOWN steps, i didn't want my DH to worry about me...i didn't climb. i regret it, but it was for the best;) . it's not that tall of a climb, but it overlooks the river...the views must be outstanding.

Donmar-Thank you for the helpful info. Is the climb to the top of the temple a bad climb? How long did it take you?

Jaimie

:)

Here is a photo taken on me climbing down. It is a bit steep. It is not too high, but there are no rails (as PP said, there is a rope) and the steps are large. It took longer to go down.

Enjoy!

IMG_4231a.jpg.0c0bbfd04d3bd171df0abb20870ff7ec.jpg

this is definitely a WHOLE day excursion.it takes awhile to get to the river, and then a good distance by boat. but it was definitely worth the experience. the only other suggestion i would make is to bring 2 cameras with you if possible. if you climb the pyramid you can take shots of the view while someone else can shoot your picture from the ground. that is what my wife did for me.

steve

Archived