Granduer of the sea, food and activities ?

skyw

Did I spell that right??? First I would like to thank those in advance for replying. I am desperately trying to find a inexpensive cruise that pleases both DH and me. Wish me luck. How is the food on this ship? We don't eat in the main dining room so how is the Windjammer for dinner? Is there a putt putt golf course on this ship?

Thanks

Don't know if you're talking about Tampa, Baltimore or Norfolk for the Grandeur. I've enjoyed the food very much during my three 9 night cruises out of Baltimore. I'm a very picky eater and have never had any trouble getting enough of something that I like, either in the DR or the WJ. There is no putt-putt on the Grandeur.

I'll second that. When we are on the ship out of Baltimore we tend to eat basically all of our meals (including supper) in the Windjammer and enjoy it. They alternate stir fry vegitables and a pasta bar in the evenings that we enjoy. They also offer many of the same items from the dining room menu.

I liked the Dining room food on the Windjammer. WE only ate buffet occasionally. It is a small ship, but is nice. My family went last October for a second time and was happy with the upgrades made to the apholstry(sp), carpets, and food. You would enjoy this little gem.

I'll second that. When we are on the ship out of Baltimore we tend to eat basically all of our meals (including supper) in the Windjammer and enjoy it. They alternate stir fry vegitables and a pasta bar in the evenings that we enjoy. They also offer many of the same items from the dining room menu.

We also ate most of our meals in the windjammer.... DELICIOUS stir fry!! We actually preferred the food in the windjammer since it was so similiar to everything in the dining room yet very convenient, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like buffets. :)

We sailed on this ship in September. After about 14 RC cruises I can say the food on this ship was the worst we have encountered and I'm not a picky eater. Service in the dining room was also the worst. Of course food is very subjective. In some regards I think it is just a trend of RC where the quality of the food has continued to go down in the past couple of years.........this again is very subjective and JMO. We felt strongly enough that we cancelled a repeat cruise on this ship for this October and switched to the Explorer. For those that know me, I really like RC........this ship was just not for us.

Hiya Jim!!:D

All is good here......you??

Anyway,I know what you mean about the food.........I found the same thing on the JW this past Nov....I have definitely have noticed a change(and not for the better).......I mean I certainly didnt starve,but I didnt say OH WOW,this is great either..:(

Looking forward to the GR since we have never been and its been a LONG time since we went outta Tampa.I almost feel like a first time cruiser since I am not doing the same old ship.same old port(departure)....:)

Trying to get back to normal.....rough Christmas and NY......My mom was in the hospital and then to skilled nursing.......just didn't have time for the boards with all that was going on. She is doing better. Hope all is well with you.

Agree that RC has made some changes over the past 18 months and not just in food.......we have decided to do a land vacation in 2009 and then re-evaluate RC and crusing. I'm sure we will cruise some but probably not as much.

Let me know your thoughts on the GR after you sail.........and also about Tampa........never sailed out of there.:)

Kathy

If you still have my email send me a short note.........we had an ice storm in mid December and we lost our computer and had to buy a new one.......lost all of my email addresses..........thanks......just when you have time.

Jim

This will be my 3rd time outta Tampa............gotta love going under the Skyway Bridge......plus it is the closest port to our house,which makes it really nice:) Only 1 1/2 hours...

Thats funny,I was in the middle of emailing you right now..

We were on the Grandeur last year and it was our fourth RC cruise. The food was okay in the windjammer. The dinning room food was very good and the service was also excellent. There is no alternate resturant on the Grandeur for your choices are a little limited. The activities on board were okay. There is no sports deck as such, they do have the basic shuffle board and ping pong tables. There is no basketball court or anything like that. No mini golf. THey do have the rock climbing wall. There is only one main pool on the pool deck, and then the solarium pool. The activities director and staff are very good and we participated in a lot of activities and had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the standard on this?

I see people talk about eating only in the Windjammer.

Do/How Do ... you tip the Windjammer staff?

Do you still take the envelopes to the dining room the last night since they have no control over whether you dine there or not?

Archived