2 questions

We are going on our Med. Cruise the end of May. We will be in the following ports - Barcelona, Malta, Naples, Rome, Pisa/Florence, Nice France. We will be doing all the "normal" sight seeing tours all day. First question is, I understand about no shorts in religious places. My Father inlaw loves to wear shorts. But wants to be dressed correctly. SO, which days do I need him to wear pants? I know Rome - for the Vatican. What other ports might he need to know about?

Second question - When we tip the ship room service people, do they prefer Euros to our dollar? So, should we have a bunch of single euros?

Ok, thats it for now. :o)

missty

I don't think my husband would wear shorts in the Med in May either, unless it is unseaonably warm. But if it is warm enough then he must definitely wear (or take) long trousers for Rome to get into St Peters and the same if you intend to visit any churches from Livorno (eg the Duomo in Florence) or in Malta. I think it would probably be OK in Barcelona for the Sagrada Familia as that is more of a building site than a church (but amazing to visit). Not sure about Nice - my guess is that he would be OK.

I would pretty much say anywhere he plans on visiting a monastery, chapel, church, cathedral, duoma or whatever....he probably might want to wear pants. Most of the places we visited it was posted - no shorts.

That doesnt mean people don't wear them.....and sometimes getting away with going inside in them. But there are quite a few stories out there about people waiting outside in their shorts while other members of their party went inside. Why take the chance ?

Outside of many of the religious places we went there were vendors selling these gorgeous scarves. Didnt get the connection until it was told to me that alot of people (mostly women) use these to cover their shoulders if they are wearing a halter or tank top and some tie them around their waists if they are wearing shorts. Talk about taking advantage of a situation.... pretty smart vendors :)

We tipped for room service on the ship in US DOLLARS. Every where else in euros (taxis, bellman at hotel, tour guides etc.)

He should wear pants in every church and similiar. Not all parishes or communities can effort to actualy post somebody to enforce a proper dress code but it is still polite to respect religious sites and what the locals define as being appropriate. "Kness and shoulders covered" is also the guideline for women - and of course everything inbetween.

If you sail on an American ship with US$ as on board currency tipping in both dollars and Euros is fine. Given the current exchange rate one Euro is obviously more worth than on Dollar but if you think about giving a larger amount you will keep that mind.

Just for your information: There are no One-Euro-bills, just coins. The smallest bill is €5.

I've been from Korea to Istanbul and NOBODY turns down a U.S. buck ! If someone doesn't like it , they don't have to take it. You don't have to be THAT politically correct.

And have him do the pants that zip off to shorts , if he must.

CIAO, ;)

Thank you for your quick responses! I love the zip-off pants idea for him. I will tell my mother inlaw and she will make sure he is wearing what he should. lol And if its still cooler the end of May, it won't be an issue, as he would probably be wearing pants anyways.

My husband will be wearing long pants and I usually wear a cute summer skirt or occasionally capris. So, we will be fine.

Archived