Progreso or Calica with a 9-month old?

txseashell

My hubby and I are interested in booking a cruise on the Carnival Holiday for January of 2009. The Holiday has two different itineraries. Both of them have stops in Cozumel but one stops in Progreso while the other stops in Calica. Which of these two ports would be a better, more child-friendly choice for us and our 9-month old son? Thanks for your help. :)

We sailed the Holiday in late December 07 and our itinerary was Cozumel and Calica. I had read that Calica was a substitute port after the hurricane damages and that the Holiday wasn't going to Progresso. When we boarded no one seemed to know which one was to be our destination port. It was strange. As I said, it turned out that we went to Calica.

Calica is a port in the truest sense of the word. A port and a dock. No town. No Senor Frog. Only a few vendors on shore alongside the docking area.

The nearest town is Playa de Carmen. Most of the on-shore tours are based there, including shopping and such. My wife and I took the shopping/beach tour. It included an hour stop at a jewelry factory. At that place prepare for jewelry, rugs, leather goods... shopping. Not much "factory" to it. You can also just take a bus into town - about 15 minute drive or just to the beach.

Our son and family took a snorkeling tour and they loved it.

I had thought we were going to Progresso and had read as much as I could about it. If we had gone there I planned on taking a trip to the town of Merida. It is the capitol of the state of Quintana Roo and it is supposed to offer a much better impression of a 'real' Mexican town, shopping and all.

Anyway, the bottom line is: don't count on the crew giving you any idea once you've boarded - except the ones who tout port shopping.

Either way, I hope you enjoy the trip. The ship has been nicely refurbished, but is crowded in some public areas, such as the pool and some lounges. Crew are friendly and the big entertainment is oriented to country and western themes. Food was good in the formal dining room but only "cafeteria" quality in the informal dining room. I heard that they are expected to bring the larger ship that currently serves New Orleans to replace the Holiday, but I heard no definite timeline for that to happen.

Our 13 yo grandson 'disappeared' on the cruise. He was very taken by the youth group activities for his age group and we had to use walkie-talkies to keep track of him. Our 10 yo didn't get into his age group's activities, although he typically enjoys socializing with children older than himself.

Anyway this is more than you asked for, but take what info you can use and ignore the rest. Enjoy your cruise.

We just did Playa Del Carmen -- which is closest to Calica pier -- 5-8 minute cab ride -- and my 2 yr old son and the 11 month old we had in our group both LOVED it. Of course, we didn't do any excursions -- we simply went to the beach. I have to say that it was one of the best days of our cruise.

Archived