What's best excursion for someone needing light activity level?

Travelitis

I have a son who has a hidden disability. We need to find something in Belize that isn't demanding physically. He can walk without any assistance, but we are going to have to be careful about wearing him out, or he will be in bed sick. He is stiff and sore with deep joint pain and easily fatigued. He's banned from high-impact sports, but walking, biking, and swimming are encouraged. He loves to swim and snorkel, but there are many options in this port. I'm just not sure if the snorkeling excursion is the way to go or not. Here are the excursions that sound interesting: snorkeling, Altun Ha, ferry to Caye Caulker, and the zoo. We've eliminated cave tubing. Thanks!

Snorkeling in Belize is awesome because it has the second largest reef in the world. If you don't think this would be too much for your son, it would be great to see. Have you thought about the airboat? I have two little boys of my own and we have taken them on a airboat tour and they LOVED it! You know how boys are! In Belize, some friends of ours went on this tour and were able to see Crocadiles, manatees, turtles, birds, ect. Just an idea!

The Lamani ruins may be a good tour for him. It is an all day event but there is not much physical activity. You do end up walking about 1 mile total during the trip but that is spread out over a 2hr or so time period. The rest of the tour is a long bus ride and a long boat ride.

We've been to Belize twice, and either the Shark Ray Alley snorkeling or the Lamanai/New River tour may be the one you're looking for.

Personally, I found the snorkeling tour to be the most demanding, physically speaking. Since it's a boat tour, it demands getting into the water by jumping off the boat, and getting back into the boat is hard except for those very physically fit. The boat had a very short ladder, and, since the boat was bobbing around in the water, it made it very hard for me (with shoulder problems) to get up the ladder. The guide and my hubby ended up pushing me up the ladder (not a pretty sight, I'm sure!).

The Lamanai/New River tour is a combination of a road trip thru Belize countryside, along the river (with wildlife pointed out), and several short hikes to the ruins. Of course, there is the pyramid to be climbed by those that feel up to the challenge, but there is a rope running the length of the climb to assist the hikers that climb and then can't get back down.

Becki

Thanks for the replies! It is very helpful, especially since I hadn't considered the Lamanai trip. Now that I read your responses, it seems much easier. I think I was over-analyzing and preparing for the worst-case scenario. He needs light activity, but for pain mgmt it's important to move frequently. The more I think about it, the more I think snorkeling is our best bet. Everyone will enjoy it, and Belize is the best port on our itin for it. If he's hurting and tired, he will do better on a tour where he can sit or float and not have to walk to enjoy it. Hip joints and feet have the most pain. Now it's just a matter of deciding which one. Thanks again for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

The weather is always the issue; hope it is smooth the day you go.

I really enjoyed Roatan snorkeling, and have a few tips.

Get a inflatable divers snorkeling vest with a CO2 inflation option

and of course you can still inflate by mouth.

Perhaps $40-60?

The vest allows for several benefits/options:

1. it can be inflated just a little to make surface swimming easier and enable him to float or swim in safety.

2. like wearing a t-shirt it keeps one a bit warmer

3. pull the cord and instantly one is snug and secure floating in a good position

4. many internet sources for vest, dive shops in most port cities have them

5. I wear one when ever I am in a tender, besides he will look "cool"

I can no longer dive but grew up in the Caribbean and Key West.

I also have professional experience with "pool therapy" and I

wish the cuise lines would make it easier for folks.

Recommend that if you can call a local Dive shop and ask them to teach him how to snorkel and use the vest but suspect the cruise pool would be ok;

for help there are always SCUBA folks onboard.

I have seen folks snorkel and some SCUBA who have extreme disabilities.

So, also call any large "Rehabilitation" hospital as speak to the "Pool Therapy" staff: often an Occupational or Physical Therapist.

I donated my diving gear last Spring in Cozumel to the good folks at

Cozumel Sailing there. Just to old and thin now. But on a calm day I'd do

Belieze or Roatan still just to float.

Joe

PS

In Cozumel as the Norwegian Sea docks, I will go to the marina (like a small bay) and before I go sailing; roll my wheelchair into the water and just walk out into the water..........will post some pics when we get back.

Seeing a guy in a wheelchair always draws a few looks and smiles when they notice my divers swmming trunks and vest. Oh, I married a Physical Therapist twenty years ago! This is our anniversary cruise.

Have you thought about the snorkle trip that Coral Sands Beach Resort offers? It isn't an all day excursion from what I have read. I have never been there, but I will be in two weeks. You can spend part of the day at their beach resort and take a snorkling tour to the reef the other part of the day. The website is : www.coralsandsbelize.com They have been very prompt at answering my questions the past week- you don't pay ahead of time and their boat picks you up where the tenders drop you off. A 20 minute boat ride from there. It is located very near the barrier reef. Just thought I would give you another option.

Archived