parking in galveston

ajrs

we are thinking of renting a car in houston (where we fly into) and drive to galveston. 2 questions, is there a car rental drop off near the pier and how much is self parking for the week? thanks for any info.

we are thinking of renting a car in houston (where we fly into) and drive to galveston. 2 questions, is there a car rental drop off near the pier and how much is self parking for the week? thanks for any info.

http://www.ezcruiseparking.com/

those are prices and a map to ez cruise parking, we use it all the time. they will take you in a shuttle bus to the terminal.

We parked at EZCruise last year. They were reasonble and prompt. If I was flying into Houston (where I live), I would use the shuttle service with RCCL. Its easy and hassle free. Enterprise is close to the ships and has a drop off there and will bring you to the ship from what I heard.

We did the same as your thinking when we flew into Houston Hobby Airport. It was fairly easy to navigate. Grabbed our bags , found the rental car/shuttle area (right where the baggage claim is) and rented a car from Enterprise. Enterprise shuttled us to the "off site pickup" to get our car, $69 one way overnight. Very friendly staff at the car rental desk. They printed us directions to the hotel and port as well as drop off instructions for the rental return. The next day, we dropped the bags at the terminal and I drove to the rental facility (about 7 minutes away). Enterprise drove me back to the terminal where I met my party, and in we went.

Ooops, sorry Rick. I guess I didn't finish the thought. The OP asked about drop off near the pier (so I didn't respond with that part - I figured they didn't want that info).

We grabbed a shuttle back to the airport. The reason we used the rental for trip down was because we came in a day early.

What airline did you fly from Dulles? SWA, UAL, American?

We are looking at flying in a day early, renting a car, and staying at a hotel that offers free parking for the week. Maybe even stay at the same hotel a day after the cruise. That would give us plenty of time to explore Galveston and catch a flight later in the day. Do you have any info on a deal like that?

Rick

Fury, You are way to up to date. You checked us out and found our Jewel cruise. OK, you're outstanding.

We flew US Air for many reasons, one, that they participate in the Valet/Luggage program with RCI. Their fare was not the best, Spirit is cheaper. But we've had some horrifying experiences with Spirit recently, and don't want any part of them.

Our program with Luggage/Valet was cool. We paid $20 each (on a cruise, what is $20?) and they took our bags from the pier, checked them in, and they were waiting for us when we arrived at DCA.

Hope we can have just as an easy time in Gavelston on Voyager, as we did on Jewel.

Rick and Deirdra

Fury1995,

we are staying on an extra day in houston after the cruise, do you know if enterprise picks you up from the pier and takes you to the off site rental place? trying to figure out if it's cheaper to rent in houston, return in glaveston and then rent again in galveston and return in houston. gosh, can you follow that? i can't! thanks. our hotel in houston (we are coming in a day early and leaving a day after the cruise) quoted us a price for both airport transfers and round trip to the peir in galveston of $340. but that seemed like alot to me. trying to explore all options.

The last info that I saw said that Enterprise is closed on Sundays, in Galveston. I was unable to book a return from Galveston to Houston. Hertz has a booth over in the Carnival pier that makes their cars available on return Sundays. I priced two one-ways from Hertz, one from Houston to Galveston, pre cruise, and the other returning from Galveston to Houston post cruise.

I actually found it cheaper to book a full-size from Alamo for the entire period and to pay parking for the week of the cruise. I think it will be more convenient, as I will be able to just get on the parking lot shuttle after the cruise and go directly to the car, with all of the family and our luggage. With the one-ways, one person has to walk over to the Carnival pier and check in with Hertz. They opened their booth around 9:30 the last time we cruised from Galveston; then, after checking in with Hertz, they shuttle you out to get the car; get the car and return to the pier to pick up the rest of your group and the luggage, fighting traffic all of the time.

The transportation problem between Galveston and the airports is the only down side of cruising from Galveston. The upside is that we can get an early afternoon direct flight from Galveston to Little Rock.

Hypo

thanks for the info hypo, did you use the ezcruise parking lot mentioned above? if not, about how much per day is parking? i think we are leaning toward what you have done in the past. and yes, this has turned out to be the most difficult part in getting ready for the trip. i'm trying to get things organized now, so that i can just relax once we are on our way. thanks for any info.

Archived